FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

RESULTS

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: RESULTS
    Posted: 21 May 2019 at 7:10am
Originally posted by tenaciousdgor tenaciousdgor wrote:

Where do you sell your stories?

I sold mine to "Write Ahead The Future Looms"
https://www.writeaheadthefuturelooms.com/

It was a cyberpunk story so I targeted them as my first choice (as that's their niche.) They're a semi-pro mag, so I ended up making back a little more than what I paid for the contest. So that's a win in my book. If I manage to sell my R1 story, that will be gravy....

Edited by nod1v1ng - 21 May 2019 at 7:10am
tenaciousdgor View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tenaciousdgor Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 10:48pm
Where do you sell your stories?
Flash Fiction
R3 G18
The Selkie Stamp
R2
A Shot in the Dark
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 4:22pm
Originally posted by patsy patsy wrote:

Just sold my 2nd Round HM story to an anthology.  Feeling a bit better now, lol.  

Congrats!!

And to you, too, nod!
Mystic Platypus View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Mystic Platypus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:47pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Just sold my 2nd Round HM story to an anthology.  Feeling a bit better now, lol.  

High five!
^_^/

I sold mine a couple days ago to a magazine, myself. (Def takes the sting out of not moving to R3)

Smile

Wow congrats to you both!! I hope I have the same luck!
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:25pm

High five!
^_^/

I sold mine a couple days ago to a magazine, myself. (Def takes the sting out of not moving to R3)

Smile
patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 May 2019 at 3:21pm
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 12:26pm
Originally posted by DeLynn DeLynn wrote:

I have to say that I was flummoxed when I received my judges' feedback, especially after my First Round feedback (which earned me a 1st spot). It was GLOWING. Even the 'negatives' were pretty positive, as if the judges struggled to find something they had to pick at. 

I had the same experience! I didn't even get an HM, so I was expecting my judge's feedback to be brutal, but it was so positive that I want to work on the story and submit somewhere.  The items needing work were pretty positive and solid things to tackle, similar to the feedback I received on the forum. Too funny. It was fine, I was glad I advanced to R2 at least, but the feedback was MUCH better than I expected. 
DeLynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:55am
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

I’m well out of this contest but I’m following with keen interest - with more “losers” (we’re not really!) than “winners” on SSC now,  I thought I’d share this apt phrase coined by a friend of mine -

“a catastrophic trifecta of uselessness” 

Now there’s a great mouthful of a curse to hurl at your unsatisfactory judges :-D

Alex,
I couldn't LOVE that more!!!! Judging was SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO confusing and frustrating for me! I mean, I didn't really expect to move forward, but the feedback for both rounds was totally unexpected. I won a 1st Place in round 1 with mostly 'negative' feedback and judges who didn't even understand my story, and didn't get anywhere in round 2 with GLOWING feedback. My head is spinning.

Edited by DeLynn - 15 May 2019 at 8:56am
'23 SS R1 G54 Bitter_Harvest

'19 SS R1 1st Place: Smack
R2 Tilly's Run

DeLynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:48am
Huge ClapCONGRATULATIONSClap to the Round Two winners!

I didn't make it through, and frankly, I didn't expect to, but one always grasps that withered seed of hope, right?

I have to say that I was flummoxed when I received my judges' feedback, especially after my First Round feedback (which earned me a 1st spot). It was GLOWING. Even the 'negatives' were pretty positive, as if the judges struggled to find something they had to pick at. Intriguingly, the feedback for my first-round story was precisely the OPPOSITE; so-called 'positives' all held negative edges; most of the judges clearly didn't even "get" the story--most confused the gender of the MC, one thought she was a psycho killer (?!?!?), and one totally missed the most important connection in the climax of the story (and judge-splained to me how I could make it better)... yet, the story earned a 1st Place spot in the First Round. SMDH!!!

It leaves me wondering if the majority of the judges just want "deep", convoluted pieces--even where they themselves cannot fully comprehend the meaning (layered or obvious)? And for the record, Forum members seemed to have few issues understanding the substance/content of the story. Very weird.
My second story was a crime caper with raccoons. One judge called it "cartoonish". Ummmmm, yeah! CAPER! LOL

No sour grapes about not moving forward... I knew my story wasn't strong enough, especially the closing. And once I read others in my Heat (and many other Heats!), I was blown away. I am always honored to watch Talent receive its due. And I have most certainly enjoyed feasting on all these amazing stories! Thank-you ALL for that!!
See you in FFC2019! Wink

Edited by DeLynn - 15 May 2019 at 8:51am
'23 SS R1 G54 Bitter_Harvest

'19 SS R1 1st Place: Smack
R2 Tilly's Run

Heartstart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heartstart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 8:33am
First in my heat!!! That was... completely unexpected. I honestly would have been over the moon with a simple HM. 

There were also some amazing stories I read on these forums which didn't get through to Round 3 (both in my heat and others), which really surprised me. Oh well, I guess you just can't tell how the judges will decide. 

It's the federal election here in Australia this Saturday too. I'll have to vote in the morning, and start planning/writing in the afternoon. I was also planning on going to my friend's party on Saturday night, to knock back some wines, watch the polling results on the ABC, and laugh at all the politicians. Might have to re-think those plans now! 

Edited by Heartstart - 15 May 2019 at 8:34am
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 8>