NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

FFC Registration - New "Requirements"

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PNWriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 9:51am
AH! Nixie, I love that you were all over this - and thanks for sharing the response with us. When I registered I was taken aback on the data asks - I really don't remember having to give out quite so much info in the past. The gender and birth date was too far in my mind - then again, if it wasn't required that I have to input my address with my cc I wouldn't be in for that either. Privacy-wise there are a lot of alarm bells here.

Sigh. The things we compromise on in order to write...(though I'd rather those weren't my personal privacy/data)...
SSC2020 R1 GP32
Remember Anne
All reviews will be reciprocated-Thanks for reading!

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 May 2019 at 2:45pm
Originally posted by PNWriter PNWriter wrote:

AH! Nixie, I love that you were all over this - and thanks for sharing the response with us. When I registered I was taken aback on the data asks - I really don't remember having to give out quite so much info in the past. The gender and birth date was too far in my mind - then again, if it wasn't required that I have to input my address with my cc I wouldn't be in for that either. Privacy-wise there are a lot of alarm bells here.

Sigh. The things we compromise on in order to write...(though I'd rather those weren't my personal privacy/data)...

It affects us all - of course I'm gonna share. :)

They tell me this was all required before - and yet, only one person has told me they remember giving their b-date, and nobody seems to remember begin required to give gender.

My first profession was as an intelligence analyst - taking random bits of info and putting them together to figure out what a foreign military was doing/going to do.  It made me very much aware of how one little seemingly-insignificant piece of data can tie a web together. 

Knowing that - I object entities storing my random bits of data, unless they need them to do the thing I actually agreed to.  Especially when the random bits they want facilitate ID Theft.

Haven't registered for FFC yet - kinda holding out to see if they will update.  I have  a reminder on my calendar for next week to e-mail prod again with a "have you updated that yet? I really wanna register before the prices go up..." message...
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12