NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free To Good Home: FFC Master List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Free To Good Home: FFC Master List
    Posted: 07 May 2019 at 5:12pm
A half decade ago, when I first came to these forums, it was damn near impossible to find anything. Contest season invariably involved a ton of bookmarks and even more forgotten stories that I meant to get back to, or whose comments i had wanted to track but could never find again.

From that special hell, the Master List was born.

I was tickled to see that other people found it helpful too (understatement: I was blown away to see how many people made a continuous watch of bumping that original thread to make sure it stayed where they/we could find it) and have been pleased beyond measure to see it expand into the other competitions.

But last year's Master list kicked my butt.  

I had to take leave from work to manage the first round list. For the first time, I had to break the list into two parts because it got so big, it exceeded the character limit for a forum post. (Which Suave and I learned existed when the SSC list hit the limits.)  NYC has grown the contest rapidly, and it's around three times the number of contestants as when I first started this little endeavor. Last year, I didn't even get to read the stories of everyone who left me crits, much less all the stories I wanted to. It has gotten to be such a huge task, it has *replaced all of the rest of my participation, and I'm just not OK with that.

My hope is that a team of two will consider taking carrying this forward.  That would allow:
- a 1-50 list and a 51-100 list (half as much work for each person)
- one person to do Round 2 (Challenge 3) and the other to do Round 4 (finals), while the other person gets to read
- continuity, if one person has to step down - someone to tutor a new partner, &c.

Questions? Comments? Let's keep it in the thread so I am not juggling multiple DM feeds with people all having the same convo. 

Most important answer: of *course I will be happy to continue to partner with this person/these people, just as I have with my ML colleagues in other contests. I will answer questions, find solutions, and generally be helpful. I will still message 50 newbies an hour to tell them how to fix their link, their signature, etc.  I just can't own the Master List any more - I can't meet that demand and be an actual part of the community. Given that choice - I choose all of you!  

Been a great run - we really "changed the world" as far as these forums are concerned. Thanks for letting me play. 

Who's up next? :)

steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 6:34pm
I really like the idea of splitting it between two people. Makes sense since you have to separate them anyway!

Happy to be a co-master if you don't get enough volunteers! The screenwriting master lists keep me pretty busy, but my OCD brain really enjoys the process of creating it. LOL 

#amrevising
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:07pm
Originally posted by steph9289 steph9289 wrote:

I really like the idea of splitting it between two people. Makes sense since you have to separate them anyway!

Happy to be a co-master if you don't get enough volunteers! The screenwriting master lists keep me pretty busy, but my OCD brain really enjoys the process of creating it. LOL 

It has gotten way too big for just one person, and I miss getting to read all the stories :)  Thank you!  I totally understand the OCD appeasement - that's where it started, after all. :)  

Thank you Steph!!

OK - 1-50 covered.  Anyone up for 51-100? :)
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

It has gotten way too big for just one person, and I miss getting to read all the stories :)  Thank you!  I totally understand the OCD appeasement - that's where it started, after all. :)  

Thank you Steph!!

OK - 1-50 covered.  Anyone up for 51-100? :)

I wonder if there is a possibility of having more than 100 groups!! So far, it seems that each contest has more and more groups each year. Even screenplay went from 48 (last year) to 60 (this year)!
#amrevising
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:09pm

I wonder if there is a possibility of having more than 100 groups!! So far, it seems that each contest has more and more groups each year. Even screenplay went from 48 (last year) to 60 (this year)!

Wow!  They really are letting stuff grow.

Dear NYCM - how about solving all of this by updating forum software to something with a tag system? Cuz if, for my post, I could set:

[Year]
[Contest]
[Story Link? y/n]
[GroupNo]

And then click the tag cloud to select [this year] [this contest] [only post that are story links, not follow-on comments or unrelated threads] and then sort by [groupNo]

we wouldnt need a master list...

IJS
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 8:22pm

Dear NYCM - how about solving all of this by updating forum software to something with a tag system? Cuz if, for my post, I could set:

[Year]
[Contest]
[Story Link? y/n]
[GroupNo]

And then click the tag cloud to select [this year] [this contest] [only post that are story links, not follow-on comments or unrelated threads] and then sort by [groupNo]

IJS

Dear tech minded participant,

That would be like asking my company, a global leader in marine robotics developing cutting edge technology, to stop programming in C++. 

Ermm

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 9:56pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

That would be like asking my company, a global leader in marine robotics developing cutting edge technology, to stop programming in C++. 

Ermm

at least you can cite back-compat....
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:08pm

Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Sleepy

at least you can cite back-compat....

True. We use C++ bc our tech is open architecture & military is a huge adopter. They approve of the stability. But let me tell you about the difficulty of recruiting fresh, creative minds with the appropriate experience. *sigh 

stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:18pm

Wow!  They really are letting stuff grow.

[Year]
[Contest]
[Story Link? y/n]
[GroupNo]

IJS

HOW DO WE GET THE ATTENTION OF THE NYCM MASTERS FOR THIS????
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 10:19am
I can do it.  I have lots of time as seen in the SSC.  I think it would be too much trouble having two people to run it, simpler for just one once the first rush is over.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>