NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Free To Good Home: FFC Master List

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 2:30pm
If you look at the bottom of the forums, the copyright on this format expired in 2018, so a new version is likely to be available to NYCM (as well as recommendable)....... MIGHT be worth mentioning it to the powers that.. 
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 3:20pm
My other thought on having two people splitting the master list is that only the
person that starts each section will be able to edit that section - not a good
thing when things go wrong.  I just think it is over complicating the job by
splitting it up. 

As I said, I will take the FFC on, but only if I can work alone. It is enough work
without then having to email back and forth with a partner who may or may
not be in the same time zone.

nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:23pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

If you look at the bottom of the forums, the copyright on this format expired in 2018, so a new version is likely to be available to NYCM (as well as recommendable)....... MIGHT be worth mentioning it to the powers that.. 

The new version is not that new - they have not done much development on it.  phpBB might offer better options - but the True Love answer is "give it a year or so and see what happens with Flarum....

(And it's theoretically possible I am examining other options - cuz I would not wnat to whine to NYC unless I had a viable alternative to offer)
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

My other thought on having two people splitting the master list is that only the
person that starts each section will be able to edit that section - not a good
thing when things go wrong.  I just think it is over complicating the job by
splitting it up. 

As I said, I will take the FFC on, but only if I can work alone. It is enough work
without then having to email back and forth with a partner who may or may
not be in the same time zone.

I admit I'm not sure how that first comment about being able to edit is any different than things have always been?

I have had great experiences coordinating and collaborating with folks here. It's one of the reasons I suggested some folks share the task, and work together so that each gets some time to be here as a writer, too.  Though I must admit - I didn't envision emailing back and forth with anyone.  if I were going to share this task, I'm afraid my cross-communication would primarily be "You posted on the 1-50 list.  post that on the 51-100 list so they can add you." (OK, it's me - I'd probably go paste the info in to the comments on the other thread lol).  

Since Steph has already stepped up, I'm hopeful a partner will turn up as well. I love your spirit - but I have to admit that I have some concerns about taking "a task that I feel has gotten too big for one person" and not only dumping it on just one person - but dumping it one person who is already managing another busy Master list. :)

If you change your mind about partnering, please do let us know!!

(p.s. - because this seems like a right place to point it out - folks, Suave was the first person to adopt the Master List and take it to another NYC contest.  So - the fact that this practice has spread as far as it has, totally started with him :) )
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 8:30pm
Suave is a good human.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by Seacore Seacore wrote:

Suave is a good human.

Haha!

Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by nixie nixie wrote:

[QUOTE=Suave]
I admit I'm not sure how that first comment about being able to edit is any different than things have always been?

What I mean there, is that one person can not take over and do the
whole master list if something happens to one partner - gets hit by
a bus in London, haha.  I do not like having to confer and communicate
when doing things as I work on something like this.  Easier and faster
to handle the first days workload and then just maintain. Not had any
troubles handling the SSC until the forum decides it is time
to flip-out on me, and having a partner doing half the list at that time,
who I can't contact directly, is not going to help.  that is my thinking
anyway.
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 12:19am
Originally posted by Seacore Seacore wrote:

Suave is a good human.

I concur.  If it weren't for him, all those other contests would still be swimming in forum darkness.  I can only imagine the karma points involved in that....
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:23am
I'm going to throw in my two cents --

There's no reason that anyone needs to be "in charge" of the Master List other than the initial post, hosting a Google docs spreadsheet, and some basic formatting & maintenance in the spreadsheet as the round goes on.

As an example, I usually make my own list that I work from, and here is the one I did for SSC18: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-93qnLJD7oOV8r-SRoh5olymKuM0VRmPDHA6f5unGzQ/edit?usp=sharing
(I did not make my own list this year because I was lazy, which is why I'm including last year's instead)

It usually takes about 30 minutes of work to create the spreadsheet in the first place; if the work of adding in people's forum names, titles, & story links were offloaded to the individual writers, the spreadsheet could be kept up with the tiniest bit of input from the list "master." 

It also has the added benefits of being: sortable, contained in a single document, and easily updateable & cross-checkable for subsequent rounds (still in the same document).

Possible drawbacks: apparently even though it's 2019 already some people are still flummoxed by Excel I guess? (Yes I am shaming you).

Ways to counter these drawbacks: If people can't figure out how to input things themselves, they could still have the option of leaving a forum comment so that the listmaster could add in the info for them; also the listmaster will most likely need to check periodically to make sure that people aren't messing up formatting etc in the spreadsheet. Still, I doubt it would be the massive timesuck it must be in its current iteration.

FFC20 R1 Born of the Sea
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 May 2019 at 2:58am
Originally posted by GallifreyGirl GallifreyGirl wrote:

I'm going to throw in my two cents --

There's no reason that anyone needs to be "in charge" of the Master List other than the initial post, hosting a Google docs spreadsheet, and some basic formatting & maintenance in the spreadsheet as the round goes on.

As an example, I usually make my own list that I work from, and here is the one I did for SSC18: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1-93qnLJD7oOV8r-SRoh5olymKuM0VRmPDHA6f5unGzQ/edit?usp=sharing
(I did not make my own list this year because I was lazy, which is why I'm including last year's instead)

It usually takes about 30 minutes of work to create the spreadsheet in the first place; if the work of adding in people's forum names, titles, & story links were offloaded to the individual writers, the spreadsheet could be kept up with the tiniest bit of input from the list "master." 

It also has the added benefits of being: sortable, contained in a single document, and easily updateable & cross-checkable for subsequent rounds (still in the same document).

Possible drawbacks: apparently even though it's 2019 already some people are still flummoxed by Excel I guess? (Yes I am shaming you).

Ways to counter these drawbacks: If people can't figure out how to input things themselves, they could still have the option of leaving a forum comment so that the listmaster could add in the info for them; also the listmaster will most likely need to check periodically to make sure that people aren't messing up formatting etc in the spreadsheet. Still, I doubt it would be the massive timesuck it must be in its current iteration.

A couple of things to consider about that approach...

The reason we have chosen not to do this in the past is because hosting in google docs that way requires a generic "anyone who can find the doc can edit it" link - which means the links out to peoples stories are now on a public location rather than in the closed forum.  for many publishers, this can cross the line into considering the story "published" (it has been made accessible in an unsecured public location).   the closed forum protects the "unpublished" status of the work.

For my part, the challenge I most often find with shared spreadsheets is that every person who comes along sorts it a different way - and leaves it that way when they leave - which means it never looks the same twice. This can be confusing for folks who are not tech savvy. (I'll skip the stories of "accidental edits" and lost data...)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>