NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judges scoring system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Judges scoring system
    Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 3:40am
Hi all -

This is my first time having submitted to this competition and I was just curious about what to expect from the judges?

I’ve seen many of you mention getting “dinged” for certain things and affecting scores and whatnot - What is the scoring system like? What’s the highest score you can get? Is there a ruberic that they follow?

When do the emails come out with the scores and comments? Will everyone receive their email at the same time on June 11th?

Thanks in advance Smile
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 5:43am
Can't say for sure but i think that sometimes the judges throw darts at a spinning wheel to get their scores.  They are supposed to follow the percentages the rules spell out, but having seen the end results sometimes, I tend to think that some of them figure they are above that scoring, lol.

Edited by Suave - 27 Apr 2019 at 5:45am
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 10:57am
I assume/hope they use a rubric, but the only thing we get back is our placement (if we are in the top 8) and feedback from three judges in “what I liked” and “what to work on” categories. These comments can range from a full paragraph to a single sentence. Check out any of the stories from other contests that have “+ FB” in the title, since the author went back and added their feedback.

Even then, the results don’t add up. I’ve gotten glowing feedback on entities that scored an HM, and harsher feedback on entities that got first place in my heat. It’s hard when you write a piece that you feel should advance and doesn’t; it’s bewildering when you write a piece that isn’t your best work and it does advance. Feels like a crap shoot sometimes.
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
Paula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 11:11am
Slight diversion on this topic, but how strict are judges when it comes to genres and/or themes? I feel that Thriller/Horror/Suspense may overlap a bit and a story may touch upon more than one theme. Thanks!
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 11:14am
Originally posted by Paula Paula wrote:

Slight diversion on this topic, but how strict are judges when it comes to genres and/or themes? I feel that Thriller/Horror/Suspense may overlap a bit and a story may touch upon more than one theme. Thanks!

Mashups, as they call them, usually do well as long as the primary is the right genre.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 4:32pm
There is no consistency in any area of judging. Expect to be disappointed, and you'll either feel satisfied that you were prepared, or happily surprised that they threw the right dart at the right board at the right second while riding the right unicorn.
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Apr 2019 at 6:28pm
It's worth remembering that, regardless of what you might score following any rubric, and your story/screenplay possibly being brilliant, if 8 people in your heat have written something that is even more brilliant, you get zero. ie ultimately you're being scored against your heat-mates. There will also be 20 stories, give or take, in your heat that you won't get to read - which is frustrating. 

Bottom line is, as @Vernacula says, best expect to be disappointed and .. etc.
NYCNewbie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote NYCNewbie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 5:18am
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

There is no consistency in any area of judging. Expect to be disappointed, and you'll either feel satisfied that you were prepared, or happily surprised that they threw the right dart at the right board at the right second while riding the right unicorn.

^^ This! So made me laugh.....and cry as so true!
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 1:32pm
I click the "submit" button with the lowest of expectations, I post to the forum and accept all feedback -- good and bad -- with both appreciation and gratitude, and I wait to see what the results are. Having little to no expectations keeps me from being totally crushed if the news is bad.

Historically, I had pieces in the competitions that I felt should have done much better. On the other hand, the piece that once placed me in the Winner's Circle I felt was inferior and didn't deserve what it received. Go figure.

I don't know about anyone else, but I use these competitions to keep my writing skills in shape. I'm working on something every day of the year, but I need occasional breaks to keep my perspective. The NYCM competitions challenge me to flex my creativity and also keep me on my toes with stringent deadlines. If I win something, then it's sauce for the goose. If I receive low scores, I study all the Forum feedback and the judge's feedback to determine where I fell short so it doesn't happen again. However, the last group of judges left a lot to be desired and left many of us both mystified and up-in-arms. I hope THAT doesn't happen again.

I would, however, love to see the actual system used by the judges. I'm sure it would be enlightening, to say the least.
Dark&StormyNight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dark&StormyNight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 3:26pm
The official rules talk about an average score and the following criteria:

5% spelling and grammar
15% structure and format
80% screenplay, which includes writing, originality, and plot and character development.

As a first time entrant I'm also curious how much that's adhered to.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>