NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Judges scoring system

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 6:02pm
Thanks for all the responses and info - I guess I won't get my hopes up about their critiques and feedback haha. Sounds pretty disappointing that so many have been so let down by their results. I definitely agree with others who've said the forums are totally worth it though - I love the interactions with all of you and having a real community of like-minded individuals to bounce ideas off of. Hug
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
pgleleux View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgleleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 9:28am
Last year was my first time to enter and my first screenplay. I was using it as a learning tool. Though I didn't advance, I took all the feedback from both judges and contestants and reworked that script.  It later won 2nd place in a Louisiana Film Fest.  I've continued to rework the script and am now converting it to a pilot for a series...so the contest was just a jumping off point in my case.
This year, the day after I finished, I realized this script was producible and already have the principle leads and a production company lined up. We will be ready to start shooting by the time we hear from the judges, so don't let whatever the judges say stop you. Judging anything art related is always subjective and a crap shoot. Take the feedback, use it, and run with it. Good luck to everyone. It doesn't matter if you advance or not. What matters is how you use the knowledge gained from the experience.

Read R1 Grp 41 A Fighting Chance
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 9:42am
Originally posted by pgleleux pgleleux wrote:

Last year was my first time to enter and my first screenplay. I was using it as a learning tool. Though I didn't advance, I took all the feedback from both judges and contestants and reworked that script.  It later won 2nd place in a Louisiana Film Fest.  I've continued to rework the script and am now converting it to a pilot for a series...so the contest was just a jumping off point in my case.
This year, the day after I finished, I realized this script was producible and already have the principle leads and a production company lined up. We will be ready to start shooting by the time we hear from the judges, so don't let whatever the judges say stop you. Judging anything art related is always subjective and a crap shoot. Take the feedback, use it, and run with it. Good luck to everyone. It doesn't matter if you advance or not. What matters is how you use the knowledge gained from the experience.

Woah, you move way faster than me! I'm producing a script this summer that I wrote last year, and I've been working on it for months, with a couple months to go. Kudos! Would love if you'd share a protected link to the  short once it's completed Smile
pgleleux View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pgleleux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2019 at 9:48pm
Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

Originally posted by pgleleux pgleleux wrote:

Woah, you move way faster than me! I'm producing a script this summer that I wrote last year, and I've been working on it for months, with a couple months to go. Kudos! Would love if you'd share a protected link to the  short once it's completed Smile

Lol, it was just a case of everything falling together in days. The reason for shooting so quick is one of the principles is about to move to Asia. If I don't get it now, I'll have to wait a year or two. But having 2 principals and a production company lined up in 24 hours is nuts. Sometimes the stars align... because the principals are PERFECT for the roles...almost as if I had written it for them. Sometimes I don't wait for opportunity to knock, I meet it on the sidewalk.
Read R1 Grp 41 A Fighting Chance
LAbeles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LAbeles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 2:26pm
Anyone know how many scripts are in each heat approx.? 
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 2:34pm
Originally posted by LAbeles LAbeles wrote:

Anyone know how many scripts are in each heat approx.? 

I think between 27 and 29 in each heat for round 1. Not sure how many for the 2nd and 3rd rounds.
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12