NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Best Screenplay You've Read?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
John.McClane View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John.McClane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Best Screenplay You've Read?
    Posted: 25 May 2019 at 1:15pm
I also think Die Hard. But then again I would say that ...

Edited by John.McClane - 25 May 2019 at 1:16pm
Janetinputney View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Janetinputney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 10:34am
The Silence of the Lambs the book, was almost identical to the screenplay.  Really liked them both.  Just saying.  
cnaiman@gmail.com View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cnaiman@gmail.com Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 7:09pm
'Wag the Dog' has always been one of my favourites.

Great movie and the first script I ever sat down and read.

A very poignant and sobering story in these days of the Trump Whitehouse.

Group 32 (Mystery)
Peace
Paula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Paula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 May 2019 at 5:59pm
It’s difficult to pick just one - particularly given the variety of genres - but I guess that “The lives of others”, “Annie Hall”, “A fish called Wanda”, “Rocky” or “Casablanca” are scripts I would have loved to write myself...
SueSS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SueSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 11:27pm
Two of my recent faves are 'Stand By Me' and 'Her'.
Stand By Me made me laugh and cry, despite having seen it numerous times already. Beautiful, distinct characters and despite quite a simple plot, it tells a much larger story.
Her is a fantastic example of subtle world building - you're placed in this futuristic world and know the rules straight away without ever feeling like someone is explaining them to you.
You can find these two and a few other great scripts here:

bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 May 2019 at 10:06am
Honestly, Die Hard. All seriousness.

Though I was blown AWAY by the screenplay for Trumbo, so much so that the actual film didn't seem as good in comparison.
FFC: 1 Candy-Coated (Pol-Sat) * 2 Love Beneath (Fantasy)
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 12:18am
I’m obsessed with The Conjuring screenplay. I’ve read it numerous times and it never stops creeping me out no matter how many times I read it. I used it for reference when writing my ghost story screenplay for round one because the writers are so great at creating an eerie atmosphere and also good at leading the reader through the script in a way that creates the same tension you get when watching the movie. I actually haven’t even seen the movie because I’m a bit of a chicken but I LOVE the screenplay so much!
MF 100 Word '22 R1 G44 Good Boy
SCW '22 RD1 G29 Inseparable
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 8:47pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

I'd love to get my hands on a Killing Eve script. I've also been trying to find the Jessica Jones pilot forever. I know this doesn't answer your question, but since screenplay readers might show up, please hit me up if you have either of these!
Here's the pilot for Killing Eve. Can't help you with Jessica Jones, though. Sorry.

A million thanks! Heart
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 8:33pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

I'd love to get my hands on a Killing Eve script. I've also been trying to find the Jessica Jones pilot forever. I know this doesn't answer your question, but since screenplay readers might show up, please hit me up if you have either of these!
Here's the pilot for Killing Eve. Can't help you with Jessica Jones, though. Sorry.
MissKeister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissKeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 8:22pm
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

I love the movie "Memento" and the screenplay is available online. I think it's a good example of who to structure a complex, time-jumping plot.

I was going to say this one too!  I couldn't put it down (I also hadn't seen the movie... but still).

"Witness" is also really, really good.  LOVE love love the movie but the screenplay really got my heart a little more.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>