FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Help for a newbie

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
MrLipto View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote MrLipto Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help for a newbie
    Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 8:12am
Also, Rupert Dastur recently started compiling a list of competitions:

Pretty thorough.

(PS. Maybe avoid Fiction War.)
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 3:18am
Also, whatever contest you think about trying, google them first as there are more than few that take your money and then don't do much other than that.
bookmama View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Apr 2019 at 2:44am
Thank you so much everyone.
Lots of things to look at! 
SLK43 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote SLK43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 10:11pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

I just placed 2nd in the Writers Workout’s Writers Games. They can be sticklers for formatting and prompts, but it’s free and you get feedback from 3-5 judges for every story submitted. It’s a little intense- 6 stories in 6 consecutive weekends. There’s a second session in the fall. 

That's wonderful!! Congratulations!!Clap
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 9:18pm
I just placed 2nd in the Writers Workout’s Writers Games. They can be sticklers for formatting and prompts, but it’s free and you get feedback from 3-5 judges for every story submitted. It’s a little intense- 6 stories in 6 consecutive weekends. There’s a second session in the fall. 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 24 Apr 2019 at 9:18pm
Burd View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Burd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Apr 2019 at 4:27pm
I subscribe to Mslexia, I was a bit dubious because it isn’t cheap but actually it’s been really good for my writing and given me examples of quality writing in all sorts of genres with advice from well known authors.
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 6:17pm
Have a look at Christopher Fielden's website as well - lots of suggestions there. 
https://www.christopherfielden.com/

Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 5:05pm
I can recommend subscribing to "Writer's Forum magazine (UK) - http://www.writers-forum.com/

They run free monthly flash fiction competitions (no feedback) as well as a rolling monthly short story competition where, for a small fee you can receive judges' feedback. It's not interactive (this forum is hard to beat) but the magazine is full of interesting articles as well as links to other writing competitions and publication opportunities. :-)
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 4:44pm
Originally posted by bookmama bookmama wrote:

Hi everyone,
I'm new to all of this. I entered the Short Story competition just because I saw an advert and my 15 year old daughter and I both decided to enter for fun.
And then I got through to round 2 and really enjoyed writing both stories.
I've always "wanted to write" but have a very busy life and  have never been disciplined enough.
But I've realised that I do better with 1) deadlines and 2) feedback (and actually with restrictions in terms of ideas, characters etc).
I have no idea what other competitions are out there.
If allowed on this forum, does anyone have any suggestions of other competitions that might be good to enter? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance.

Check out YeahWrite and FuriousFiction, which are weekly or monthly so should act as workouts :) I'm in the UK and they're in USA and Australia, but it isn't a problem. You can also try writing non-compete stories using some of the heat prompts here, if what you want is practice. The Flash Fiction competition must be coming up relatively soon, so keep an eye out for registration opening for that.
Have fun!
bookmama View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bookmama Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 3:40pm
Hi everyone,
I'm new to all of this. I entered the Short Story competition just because I saw an advert and my 15 year old daughter and I both decided to enter for fun.
And then I got through to round 2 and really enjoyed writing both stories.
I've always "wanted to write" but have a very busy life and  have never been disciplined enough.
But I've realised that I do better with 1) deadlines and 2) feedback (and actually with restrictions in terms of ideas, characters etc).
I have no idea what other competitions are out there.
If allowed on this forum, does anyone have any suggestions of other competitions that might be good to enter? I'm in the UK if that makes any difference.
Thanks in advance.

Post Reply Post Reply