NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

More formatting questions

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by BarbaraFL BarbaraFL wrote:

I forgot to type "fade out" at the end. I submitted already. Will bad things happen?

The screenplay police will be by shortly.

I've heard conflicting theories on whether or not it's needed, but you have time to resubmit as well.

Thanks! I quickly resubmitted. Now I'll catastrophize (sp?) over a potential technical glitch, but that's how I do. LOL
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:09pm
its fine to leave it off at first, but if your script gets produced, the movie never ends
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:17pm
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

its fine to leave it off at first, but if your script gets produced, the movie never ends

I've seen that movie.  It's awful.
This sig intentionally blank
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Apr 2019 at 9:19pm

LOL

Oh God. This hastily written movie needs to end
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 1:05pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

I've seen that movie.  It's awful.

Well, to be fair, none of us know how it comes out yet.
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 1:39pm

I forgot to type "fade out" at the end. I submitted already. Will bad things happen?
I'm one of the conflicting differing opinions... I have not used FADE IN and FADE OUT in a NYCM entry since 2015, and not a single judge has mentioned them being absent. I also avoid scene transitions (CUT TO:, DISSOLVE TO:, etc.) as much as possible, as they eat up way too much page space. I doubt the Format Police will have any issues with your missing FADE OUT.
Smile
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

I'm one of the conflicting differing opinions... I have not used FADE IN and FADE OUT in a NYCM entry since 2015, and not a single judge has mentioned them being absent. I also avoid scene transitions (CUT TO:, DISSOLVE TO:, etc.) as much as possible, as they eat up way too much page space. I doubt the Format Police will have any issues with your missing FADE OUT.
Smile

Thanks! I ended up adding it and resubmitting, because I saw in the screenplay writing advice that they do include it. But I had a feeling it had sort of fallen out of favor. I figured - just in case...
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2019 at 4:27pm
One day, the space I have will fail, and I will drop FADE IN and FADE OUT for an entry here rather than a line of my deathless dialogue, to test NilesPerry's hypothesis myself.

But this is not that day. Tongue
Puspus View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Puspus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2019 at 6:31pm
I've never heard you need to add fade out or fade in, and logically I'd think those should only be included if you want your opening to fade in and your ending to fade out, which in movies, they only sometimes do
Tweet me @AidanSoguero
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12