NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've got nothing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:36am
Don't get me wrong, fade in is great software that's well worth it - if you'll use it.

But for now, it's not worth it for me. But if I keep doing these challenges it  might be.

Rawscripts works fine. I've also heard of scripped and celtx that are supposedly free or have free versions. My problem with Amazon storywriter was that I couldn't figure out how to do a title page without 'by' in the middle of it. But that might just be me!
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:37am
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Glad this thread is here. I have managed nothing. Not a word. Not a whisper of an idea. Oh well  

Same. Had one idea that the spouse informed me was terrible lol, so now back to square one. I've dreaded polsat for 5 comps and now that I have it, I feel that dread was justified. Ugh.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:38am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I woke up yesterday morning with the "what if?" in my head, ready to go.

I woke up glad I remembered to write down those last few thoughts that drifted through my head before I passed out (at 4:00 PM; I'm old; when I was in the Navy we used oars to move the boat).

There are enough notes to write a twelve minute screenplay.  One of the female characters is good with a needle, and a date on which an event took place in a previous year is involved.  Horror, or some other conjugation thereof, applies, as do any number of other, perhaps more pejorative descriptions.  For good measure I threw in other genres; rom-horror, com-horror, suspense-horror, thriller-horror...

Give or take the need to work during working hours (there's a horrible feeling of dread the answer will turn out to be 'yes') I'll get something on the page today.  Besides FADE IN and FADE OUT.

This sig intentionally blank
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 9:12am
I have discovered that a drama story can be completed in 4 pages.
J_Fox View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J_Fox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:14pm
I forgot I'd even entered this until Saturday evening. We'll see if anything gets done.
Janetinputney View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janetinputney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 3:47pm
I sometimes come up with an idea and sketch it out, then take it from a different character's POV.  Mix it up.  Or enter the story in the middle or sideways.  It's hard to make an impact in a short script, so you have to try and engage but also do something different and sometimes your idea just needs a fresh angle.  Another thing is pitching it to your friends enthusiastically. Sometimes I come up with ideas as I'm pitching!

good luck everyone!
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:07pm
My entire story just came to me, fully formed, and I’m at work so I CAN’T WRITE IT DOWN. I wrote an outline on my break and am currently holding onto it in my head like a bucket of water than will spill if jostled. 
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:35pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

I am up to FADE OUT.

There's also a FADE IN.  The white space in between identifies as a screenplay this week.

There is that movie, "A Quiet Place", where there is no dialog all the way through.  Yours is simply pushing that envelope.

That's a genius idea! Really pushing the envelope - Going far beyond no dialogue, to now include no characters too. Maybe just have a bunch of atmospheric scenes and a VO explaining that something might've occurred at some point and there was a conflict but thankfully it resolved itself. Haha, Love it
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by breeksy breeksy wrote:

This is my first time trying this. I suspect I've been a bit optimistic, having never written a screenplay, and having written just 3 stage plays in the not significant number of years I've been on this planet.

Just as well I won't get through to the third round, there's no way I could do something in 24 hours...

Please tell me I am not alone.

I almost posted this exact same topic. I was struggling something awful until last night around 9:00 PM when I finally got some semblance of an idea. My prompts are ghost story - largesse - a nanny.

I've got about 3 full pages just for my opening scene which seems way too long and probably not a lot of action so I'm going to need to do major edits when I'm done. My problem now is how to get from the beginning to the end - What points to hit, etc. Plus needing to develop the characters more. Not sure if they are all that exciting. It's definitely a struggle and I'm glad to hear I'm not alone. I hope something comes to you. Good luck!
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:29pm
I’ve got an idea and know where it’s going, but had no time to write at the weekend. And probably won’t until Friday. Luckily that’s a public holiday, so I’m hoping 48 hours of *focused* writing will be enough to turn this around...
All my stories are here!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>