NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've got nothing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:59pm
Page and a half and know what it is going to be.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:23pm
I am up to FADE OUT.

There's also a FADE IN.  The white space in between identifies as a screenplay this week.
This sig intentionally blank
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:27pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

I am up to FADE OUT.

There's also a FADE IN.  The white space in between identifies as a screenplay this week.

There is that movie, "A Quiet Place", where there is no dialog all the way through.  Yours is simply pushing that envelope.
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:46pm
Originally posted by Suave Suave wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

I am up to FADE OUT.

There is that movie, "A Quiet Place", where there is no dialog all the way through.  Yours is simply pushing that envelope.

Lots of meaningful symbolism. I like it.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:00am
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 1:13am
All I can say is when a prompt doesn't work then I can't fake it. I think every single time the 2nd round kills me because I get a prompt that I just hate.

This time, again, the first round prompt really works for me. Ghost/Maternal/A Mortician. I woke up yesterday morning with the "what if?" in my head, ready to go.

WHY CAN'T IT ALWAYS BE LIKE THIS?
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

breeksy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 4:43am
I wonder if there would be some merit in having brainstorming sessions. Would probably be better with people from different groups, so that people are less likely to hit on the same idea. It might just help get the seed of an idea.

I have, thankfully, managed to come up with a cohesive idea. It's hard for me to say if it's clichéd, or done to death or predictable (partly because I haven't watched or read many short screenplays) , but the 'com' aspect of the romcom is inspired by my life, so that bit is original at least.
bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:09am
Did the Writer's Weekly 24 Hour Story Contest over the weekend, but now turning my attention to my [first ever] screenplay Shocked. I got really lucky this time. Got a genre really close to my actual comfort zone for the first time in NYCM so far. Got prompts that immediately spoke to me. Had a complete story idea, plot and all, within an hour of receiving my prompts.

Thriller/hunt/food delivery driver.

Now to read through the NYCM guidelines for writing a screenplay, and get to writing.
FFC: 1 Candy-Coated (Pol-Sat) * 2 Love Beneath (Fantasy)
breeksy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 5:29am
What really helps is screenplay software. It sorts out the margins etc for you.

I tried fade in, which was great but wanted $80 to avoid putting a watermark on every page, so I moved my script to rawscripts which is free, but maybe not as intuitive to use.

Good luck!
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:14am
Originally posted by breeksy breeksy wrote:

What really helps is screenplay software. It sorts out the margins etc for you.

I tried fade in, which was great but wanted $80 to avoid putting a watermark on every page, so I moved my script to rawscripts which is free, but maybe not as intuitive to use.

Good luck!

Yikes! Fade In was $40 when I bought it. There are a few "free" packages that let you write complete scripts w/o payment, but limit some features. WritersDuet, IIRC, has an online version that's free. So is Amazon Storywriter.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>