NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

I've got nothing

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: I've got nothing
    Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 4:27am
This is my first time trying this. I suspect I've been a bit optimistic, having never written a screenplay, and having written just 3 stage plays in the not significant number of years I've been on this planet.

Just as well I won't get through to the third round, there's no way I could do something in 24 hours...

Please tell me I am not alone.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 4:56am
I have one page, but it is a good first page if I might say so myself.

My prompts: Drama - ultra-competitive - a senile person, were at first glance horrible, but then I softened and started to like it a little - big mistake.
When I really started to brainstorm I realized just how bad that ultra-competitive part was, very hard to shoehorn into any kinda drama for me - but I got it, I hope.
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 5:51am
forget about format, and structure, and dialogue or anything else.

look at your prompt. Of any of the three things, what excites you about them? what does it make you think?

when you have that, use it as your story's anchor. You might change it later even, but it should be enough to start you in a good direction; forwards
breeksy View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote breeksy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 6:35am
My prompts fit together too well, I think that's half my problem. I'm too concerned with falling into cliche.

I'll hopefully get something down!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 12:27pm
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

forget about format, and structure, and dialogue or anything else.

look at your prompt. Of any of the three things, what excites you about them? what does it make you think?

when you have that, use it as your story's anchor. You might change it later even, but it should be enough to start you in a good direction; forwards

What the heck is horror?  It's not that I don't have a fear reflex, I've just spent decades keeping my response to it under control.  Part of the job requirement, in every job I've ever had, it seems.

Struggling to come up with something horrible that's not found in virtually every horror piece ever done.  Ideas?  Yeah.  Like them?  Not so much.  I'll start reading previous NYCM horror tonight, just to get some idea what works. 

Story?  Sure, I can write a story with the other two prompts, but I do need to at least touch on the genre at some point.

Worried about it?  Not even a little.  I'll use the ideas I have, and send teenage girls screaming from the room (my horror research over the last couple days have revealed some interesting gender differences in this regard).  On the other hand, it's possible teenage boys are too dumb to get out of danger.

Edited by Random - 14 Apr 2019 at 12:27pm
This sig intentionally blank
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 1:12pm
Originally posted by breeksy breeksy wrote:

My prompts fit together too well, I think that's half my problem. I'm too concerned with falling into cliche.

I'll hopefully get something down!

Yeah, I understand that part. A prompt that has an obvious response is too predictable and tempting--it's too easy to fall into the trap of writing the expected.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 6:23pm
Hating life. Blargh.

Why is histfic even an option here?

Time to go do some more research. On Netflix.

Best of luck, everyone!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:13pm
Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Hating life. Blargh.

Best of luck, everyone!

I saw a post not so long ago that they were going to get rid of HistFic in Screenplay, but you like corsets and hoop skirts so much they left it in just for you.

Big smile

Edited by Random - 14 Apr 2019 at 7:13pm
This sig intentionally blank
Vernacula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Vernacula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 7:22pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by Vernacula Vernacula wrote:

Hating life. Blargh.

Best of luck, everyone!

I saw a post not so long ago that they were going to get rid of HistFic in Screenplay, but you like corsets and hoop skirts so much they left it in just for you.

Big smile

Why aren't there emojis for rude Italian gestures?
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 9:20pm
Glad this thread is here. I have managed nothing. Not a word. Not a whisper of an idea. Oh well  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 10>