NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did the NYCM Fairy bring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 9:49am
Originally posted by Graham Brand Graham Brand wrote:

Mystery / Insatiable / A garbage man

I'm at the ummmmm stage.

Well that could be really gross. LOL

{That's not helpful, Tracy.}

Oh. Sorry. I couldn't help myself. I'm silly when it's early. Tongue
T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 9:53am
Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

I'm two pages in and the romance hasn't started yet! Does anyone know if there's a rule of thumb about how quickly we're meant to get to the point?

In trope Romance, you need to at least have the love interests meet each other within the first couple pages. They do not have to get to the romance that soon. Usually it's more about what's keeping them apart right up until later in the story.
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by T.E. Bradford T.E. Bradford wrote:

I'm two pages in and the romance hasn't started yet! Does anyone know if there's a rule of thumb about how quickly we're meant to get to the point?

In trope Romance, you need to at least have the love interests meet each other within the first couple pages. They do not have to get to the romance that soon. Usually it's more about what's keeping them apart right up until later in the story.

Agree. I had Romance in Short Story round 2 and, accordingly, have read a bunch of romances this week. Several times it seems that the writer could cut the entire first page of build up and get right to it (myself included!), leaving room to properly raise the stakes.
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
Splinker View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Splinker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 10:54am
I drew this qs well. Even though you are my competition, I will tell you that  minong is something you do in mines.

That's according to wikipedia . l
Splinker
https://1drv.ms/w/s!ArBspawnlI8yo1H2Ki5_xuZg-K0v?e=x2mixn
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 11:00am
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

Agree. I had Romance in Short Story round 2 and, accordingly, have read a bunch of romances this week. Several times it seems that the writer could cut the entire first page of build up and get right to it (myself included!), leaving room to properly raise the stakes.

Also, romance does not necessarily require a HEA. I'm a big fan of (writing) unfulfilled/unrequited romances, or romances where H&h do not overcome the obstacles by the end (because that's real life).
FFC20 R1 Born of the Sea
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 11:04am
I woke up this morning and realized I have no idea what 'horror' is, apart from getting a genre I know nothing about with only 24 hours...that would be horrible.

So, apart from going on my date, I guess this weekend is when I read primers on horror.  Kind of embarrassing, really.  I've seen a couple horror movies, read some Steven King, it didn't seem like a big deal.

Like I said, bring it.  The harder the prompt, the more I learn  Big smile
This sig intentionally blank
Graham Brand View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Brand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 12:13pm

Originally posted by Graham Brand Graham Brand wrote:

Mystery / Insatiable / A garbage man

I'm at the ummmmm stage.

Well that could be really gross. LOL

{That's not helpful, Tracy.}

Oh. Sorry. I couldn't help myself. I'm silly when it's early. Tongue

Yup. My mind went there. Then ran away.
BeckyG515 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BeckyG515 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 2:39pm
Anyone else is group 52 excited about getting the star wars prompts

Action/Adventure Tyranny An orphan

:)
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 2:40pm
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Well, I'm a phukking idjut ... I forgot to register!  For the first time since Oct 2010, I won't be in a screenplay round ... FML!

I am old ... but not THAT old ...

Yours is the first name I look for on the list... and when I didn't see it, I grew concerned. Like Tim, I just can't imagine a competition without you. I am sad.
Cry
NilesPerry View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NilesPerry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 2:46pm

Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

Wouldn’t that be an interesting element if people could swap with each other! I’d probably take you up on it
Smile

... (I'm two pages in and the romance hasn't started yet! Does anyone know if there's a rule of thumb about how quickly we're meant to get to the point?)

I managed to get the romance sparks flying in the third dialogue on Page 1, and by the end of that page had the "activist" element covered. I'm 5-pages into a rough draft and still haven't figured out "chain of command" yet. I'm doomed.
Stern Smile
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678>