NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did the NYCM Fairy bring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 5:13am
Suspense / childcare / truck driver

Only the political satire / bodyguard prompt can compete with that in the ‘absolute gift’ sweepstakes.

I realise I’ve never been given suspense before, it just tends to creep into a lot of my work anyway.

Bring it.

Edited by Tim G - 13 Apr 2019 at 5:13am
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 5:33am
Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

Romance / selling a house / an electrician 

Can't say the prompts don't synergise, but I hate the genre. Can't remember the last romantic anything I watched. Think I'll be combing past comps for inspiration...

Ooh yours sounds like fun! Romance/romantic comedies are right up my ally - I’ve got a clearer picture of what I’d write with your prompts than I do with my own (ghost story / largesse / a nanny). Lol 

Want to swap?! (If only...)
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 6:09am
Hm....I just don't feel funny right now, serious life stuff...but I feel like I could figure out something with cybercrime and tourist, so maybe a lightning bolt of comedy will strike me in the head (or something)...

Comedy/Cybercrime/A tourist
ChristiLB View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ChristiLB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 6:19am

Romance / selling a house / an electrician 

Can't say the prompts don't synergise, but I hate the genre. Can't remember the last romantic anything I watched. Think I'll be combing past comps for inspiration...

Ooh yours sounds like fun! Romance/romantic comedies are right up my ally - I’ve got a clearer picture of what I’d write with your prompts than I do with my own (ghost story / largesse / a nanny). Lol 

Want to swap?! (If only...)

Wouldn’t that be an interesting element if people could swap with each other! I’d probably take you up on it Smile
Graham Brand View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Graham Brand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 6:32am
Mystery / Insatiable / A garbage man

I'm at the ummmmm stage.
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 7:02am

Wouldn’t that be an interesting element if people could swap with each other! I’d probably take you up on it Smile

Being absolutely fair - I suppose we'd all end up just swapping into our preferred genres, avoiding the ones we hate, and never being forced out of our comfort zones...and being forced to write in genres I'm not familiar with has been one of the pleasures of NYCM.

Still. ROMANCE. Ugh.

(I'm two pages in and the romance hasn't started yet! Does anyone know if there's a rule of thumb about how quickly we're meant to get to the point?)
bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:08am
Thriller/hunt/a food delivery driver. I am so pumped. Finally a genre a bit closer to my comfort zone (not that I haven't enjoyed the challenge of genres far removed from what I read/write up to this point). After some brainstorming with my husband, I know exactly what I am writing already. Now if I can just successfully achieve a decent screenplay rather than my usual prose...
FFC: 1 Candy-Coated (Pol-Sat) * 2 Love Beneath (Fantasy)
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:44am
Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Well, I'm a phukking idjut ... I forgot to register!  For the first time since Oct 2010, I won't be in a screenplay round ... FML!

I am old ... but not THAT old ...

I AM ASTONISHED AT THIS.

I so look forward to your screenplays - they are always so full.

Dang it. No wordplay, no larger than life characters, no absurd plotting that comes straight from the front pages.

Dang it all to heck!

Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 8:46am
On the plus side--I woke up with my story arc and my characters and my general plot elements.

Can I fit it into 12 pages?

This is the exact opposite of the Short Story Challenge where I threw my entry together 2 hours before the deadline, as I had no ideas and no energy.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

T.E. Bradford View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 9:39am
Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

Originally posted by T.E. Bradford T.E. Bradford wrote:

This is both my first time doing the screenwriting thing, and my first time with SPY genre! :)
I'm kind of stoked.

Spy / An audition / A dishwasher

Have fun with it!! Channel your inner Bond Cool

Thanks Becky! :)
I've told myself that I'm going to just totally let go and roll with this one organically. No over-thinking the "too many people will do the same thing" bit.

So, as it happens, I work in IT for a local government office (yep - I work at City Hall!!!). Which, while not being intriguing at all does basically mean I see everything that goes on, one way or another. Makes me think. Ya know? Plus, as a singer / songwriter, I've done LOTS of local theater. I think maybe I have some interesting fodder for this challenge. LOL
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 8>