NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What did the NYCM Fairy bring

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote T.E. Bradford Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 2:53pm
Originally posted by GallifreyGirl GallifreyGirl wrote:

Also, romance does not necessarily require a HEA. I'm a big fan of (writing) unfulfilled/unrequited romances, or romances where H&h do not overcome the obstacles by the end (because that's real life).

Word of caution on this, though. HEA may not be required, but an "emotionally satisfying" ever-after is. I've judged other romance contests, and not having an emotionally satisfying resolution to the romance can disqualify the book / story from the romance genre. So while it may not be a campy happy-ever-after, you don't want to leave it unresolved. You can pull a Cinderella or you can pull a Romeo and Juliet, but you can't pull a romantic cliffhanger.
Jayvox View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jayvox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 5:25pm
Same heat as me :) Tough one imo, was hoping for something dramatic :P 

Best of luck! 
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 5:37pm
Thanks for all the romance advice. I'm probably still going to whiff the genre. I HATE romance.
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 6:31pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Originally posted by Snarkmaiden Snarkmaiden wrote:

Originally posted by ChristiLB ChristiLB wrote:

Wouldn’t that be an interesting element if people could swap with each other! I’d probably take you up on it
Smile

... (I'm two pages in and the romance hasn't started yet! Does anyone know if there's a rule of thumb about how quickly we're meant to get to the point?)

I managed to get the romance sparks flying in the third dialogue on Page 1, and by the end of that page had the "activist" element covered. I'm 5-pages into a rough draft and still haven't figured out "chain of command" yet. I'm doomed.
Stern Smile

I would be happy to be a beta reader for you this round if you want. I'm still learning screenwriting but I've done well with romance in short story and flash fiction. (And you were an amazing beta reader for me in short screenplay. My first one got 0 points but the second got 13 points, so I'm learning!)

(I realized I did a quote within a quote within a quote. . that last comment was directed at Niles but I would be happy to be a beta reader for anyone with romance! I was hoping for it again. . I got spy.)

-Alex

Edited by northernwriter - 13 Apr 2019 at 6:32pm
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Ameythist View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ameythist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 6:51pm
This is my first year, and I got: Comedy, Pregnancy, Divorce Lawyer.

Just awful....
SisterRosetta View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SisterRosetta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 7:23pm
Thriller / restraining order / undercover police officer

Oh the stars have aligned. This is gonna be fun...
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 10:15pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Well, I'm a phukking idjut ... I forgot to register!  For the first time since Oct 2010, I won't be in a screenplay round ... FML!

I am old ... but not THAT old ...

I AM ASTONISHED AT THIS.

I so look forward to your screenplays - they are always so full.

Dang it. No wordplay, no larger than life characters, no absurd plotting that comes straight from the front pages.

Dang it all to heck!

I know, right?  I knew I should have checked, but I used to do it on auto pilot and just thought I'd done it. 

I can use the break ... I have to focus on a feature ...

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
Scarlet Screenwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Scarlet Screenwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by NilesPerry NilesPerry wrote:

Originally posted by Scarlet Screenwriter Scarlet Screenwriter wrote:

Well, I'm a phukking idjut ... I forgot to register!  For the first time since Oct 2010, I won't be in a screenplay round ... FML!

I am old ... but not THAT old ...

Yours is the first name I look for on the list... and when I didn't see it, I grew concerned. Like Tim, I just can't imagine a competition without you. I am sad.
Cry

You're sweet ... abstinence makes the hard core fondler ...

They seek him here, they seek him there, those damned writers seek him everywhere.
Is he in heaven or is he in hell, that damned elusive Scarlet Screenwriter! (Oh, phuck, that doesn't even rhyme!)
SueSS View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SueSS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 12:21am
I'll be joining you in G42. Ghost Story/Maternal/Mortician. I think I'm going to give myself nightmares...

Edited by SueSS - 14 Apr 2019 at 12:23am
LemonTwist View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LemonTwist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 10:03am
Only my second year doing this:

Action/Adventure, perseverance, a prisoner.

When I woke up to those prompts (loving that GMT delay) I was buzzing; good genre, open character, broad theme.

I have since realised how difficult it can be to show 'perseverance' over twelve pages

Good luck everyone!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 5678>