NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now What, Writers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 9:25am
I probably won't do anything with my round 1 entry. I wasn't too crazy about it...not enough to delve back in and make it better, anyway. It served its purpose...it's probably time for it to go to bed. (-:
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 10:19am
Of the NYCM contests I've done:

SSC 18: Horror/Last Will and Testament/Stewardess, eliminated in round one, "Deadhead". Expanded,  sold to Ulthar Press for the anthology Machinations and Mesmerism: A Tribute to E.T.A. Hoffmann

FFC18 Round One: Suspense/A thermostat/Poultry Farm, third place, "Intruder Alert." Not submitted anywhere because it's a suspense story about a dog. Maybe the right market will come along.

FFC18 Round Two: Fantasy/A Banquet/A Piglet, eighth place, "Apples to Apples". Submitted to several markets, latest one just sent a request to hold it for further consideration.

FFC18 Round Three: Ghost Story/A darkroom/a Bathrobe, eliminated, "GhostLife". Expanded, sold to Smoking Pen Press for the anthology Vampires, Ghosts, and Zombies.

SSC 19 Round One: Horror/House Arrest/A Passerby, third place, "The Road to Rakvere" Spelling corrected even though Random's the only one who knew the difference. Out for submission at the moment.

This round? I'm sure I'll do something with it. It's actually a sequel to a longer story that I wrote for Smoking Pen's A Kiss and a Promise last year and I've thought about expanding that one into a book. I hadn't planned on taking it past the first story's end point, but this might make nice bonus content.
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 4:18pm
I have a Patreon site with followers, and so I do post my stories there for my patreon members to read vice trying to sell them. I figure at some point, I'll take all my short stories and throw 'em into a little anthology, maybe called: Short Story Attempts that Never Won Any Prizes But Might Be Fun To Read Anyway.
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2019 at 1:09pm
I've submitted most of my NYCM entries to various markets. Several were accepted, a few are still out there. Two of my contest stories were so awful (suspense & thriller) I just hope to forget them, so they're not even in a drawer.
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Apr 2019 at 7:38am
I've never even considered submitting any of my SSF or FFC stories anywhere because I hate all of them and think they're trash. Yay, self-doubt. 
Emfizz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 5:54pm
Never done anything with mine, not confident enough. I used an excerpt of the piece I liked most (SSC18 R2) to apply for a short-story project and got it, and am considering eventually turning my R1 story of the same year into a kids’ adventure series ala Blyton. This year’s stories so far I won’t let anyone else see because I think they’re both rubbish. 
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2019 at 11:13pm
The ones I like the best get hoarded, polished, and submitted. The rest go up on my web site.
ADave411 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADave411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 4:55pm
Originally posted by Jhill Jhill wrote:

I've submitted most of my NYCM entries to various markets. Several were accepted, a few are still out there.

Where have you submitted them? Which published your work?
All NYCM Entries
Instagram: @MrD_Reads
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2019 at 6:10pm
This looks fun!

Do you post them to a personal blog or website? Yes, more often than not, but sometimes I don't want to bore people with a really long post, so I'm more likely to share for flash fiction or the later rounds of short story. 

Do you submit them to other contests? (If so, which ones?) Actually, yeah, I did once. My local eccentric newspaper (not the main one but a free weird one) hosted their literary contest late last year. I submitted what I felt was the best of my flash-fiction efforts: the one about the kitties who came out to play. The entry fee was a mere $5, but I didn't win. 

Do you submit them to literary magazines or other publications? (If so, which ones?) No, but that's a fun idea. I don't have the energy or wherewithal for it, because my writing goals are all tied into trying to find an agent and get a novel (or novels) published. I love writing these stories for NYC. But I really feel more called to noveling. 

Do you toss it in a drawer, never to be seen again? Sort of, but I love the idea of maybe combining them someday into a self-published volume. It would be for fun. (Trust me, there's no money in self-publishing, but it is fun and fulfilling.) 

Do you develop your story into a longer project? No, I've never done that. I guess I have other ideas for my novels, and I can sometimes "fudge" a genre for a short story, whereas I know nothing about the genre for a lengthy book. (Not that I know anything about the genres I do write, or I'd have found an agent already! If that makes sense.) 

RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Apr 2019 at 6:04am
Mine just rot.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>