NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Now What, Writers?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADave411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Now What, Writers?
    Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:41pm
I'm interested in hearing what (if anything) you do with your contest short stories once they are written.

Do you post them to a personal blog or website?
Do you submit them to other contests? (If so, which ones?)
Do you submit them to literary magazines or other publications? (If so, which ones?)
Do you toss it in a drawer, never to be seen again?
Do you develop your story into a longer project?
Do you save it for a future compilation of other shorter works for some future project?
All the above or other?

Share away!

Edited by ADave411 - 10 Apr 2019 at 9:41pm
All NYCM Entries
Instagram: @MrD_Reads
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 10:08pm
I've submitted my R1 PolSat to an online publication, The Satirist. I'm thinking about submitting my R2 Comedy to the "To Hull and Back" short story competition.
MsVickie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsVickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 10:37pm
The only story I'm considering submitting anywhere is "The Origins of Anne Bonny" one that I wrote for round one this time (after a few edits based on feedback/judges!) The one I just wrote for round two I will probably never submit anywhere because I hated writing it. Fairy tales are not my genre.
2021 100-word Microfiction: Surviving Sally
Lisa_Who View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lisa_Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 11:03pm
Thus far, all they're doing is keeping my hard drive warm at night.
Edgelords are a bore.
SLK43 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SLK43 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 12:13am
Originally posted by OnyxLily OnyxLily wrote:

I've submitted my R1 PolSat to an online publication, The Satirist. I'm thinking about submitting my R2 Comedy to the "To Hull and Back" short story competition.
Do it! I've submitted Pythagoras LOL
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 1:31am
I would not put your round 2 story up anywhere public yet, wait till the judging is finished as they might do a plagiarism search and find your blog post or whatever, other than that the story is yours to do with as you want.
RebRas View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RebRas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 7:35am
I'm thinking about creating a collection a standalone short stories that form a novel, based around my entries this go around. I got suspense both rounds and was stuck the second time, so I wrote a prequel to my first story. It feels kind of pulpy rather than literary, but I've had fun with it and have gotten pretty good reception from my friends who've read both.

I'm also in the process of editing my flash stories from last year and am trying to find appropriate magazine homes for them. 
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:08am
Nothing because I feel like I haven't really hit that spark with anything I wrote for NYC yet. This round was probably the first that feels like something that I could actually pitch as a story. I bet the judges will hate it 😂😂
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:44am
Originally posted by RebRas RebRas wrote:

I'm thinking about creating a collection a standalone short stories that form a novel, based around my entries this go around. I got suspense both rounds and was stuck the second time, so I wrote a prequel to my first story.

I was just going to ask if anyone had ever done this - I got crime caper for both rounds, and the prompts for round 2 really suited my round 1 story, so I was tempted to do a prequel/sequel. It must be challenging to make it work as a stand-alone story for the judges! I love the idea of creating your own universe of short stories though. 
All my stories are here!
BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 8:57am
I did submit my R1 one somewhere that will never take it but I just did it for the hell of it. My Round 2 one is probably going nowhere, but I kind of want to tuck it away to use the idea in something else, potentially.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>