NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Thirty favorite books

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:40pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

Originally posted by GallifreyGirl GallifreyGirl wrote:

I feel like a lot of you are cheating by putting whole series down as a single entry. SOME OF US STRUGGLED AND WEPT AND THEN ONLY PICKED ONE. Tongue

And some of us said "to hell with the rules, this is the best I can do" and "Marie Kondo is a philistine."  Wink

And in fairness to Marie Kondo she's said that thirty is HER PERSONAL limit, she didn't say "everyone must only have thirty books." If lots of books spark joy, have lots of books! 

Which is good because just having all these books around sparks joy for  me!

True!  But this exercise *was* supposed to have a limit of 30, and I did seriously fudge on it, where others who love books just as much as I do didn't, so . . .

I’m updating so I have only 30 on my list. 

Remove The Long Secret, and keep only Harriet the Spy

Remove six of the Harry Potter books and keep only The Prisoner of Azkaban

Remove “Everything by Dick Francis” and replace with ONE book by Dick Francis (I chose Bonecrack, only because it was the first title that popped into my head.  It isn’t his best, but it’s still one of my favorites.)

Also, remove By the Great Horn Spoon and replace with My Friend Flicka by Mary O’Hara, because I can’t believe I forgot it.  I'm not including Thunderhead and The Green Grass of Wyoming (the other two books in the trilogy) on my list.  (See what I did there?  LOL)

GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:53pm

Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I feel like a lot of you are cheating by putting whole series down as a single entry. SOME OF US STRUGGLED AND WEPT AND THEN ONLY PICKED ONE. Tongue

And some of us said "to hell with the rules, this is the best I can do" and "Marie Kondo is a philistine."  Wink

And in fairness to Marie Kondo she's said that thirty is HER PERSONAL limit, she didn't say "everyone must only have thirty books." If lots of books spark joy, have lots of books! 

Which is good because just having all these books around sparks joy for  me!

True!  But this exercise *was* supposed to have a limit of 30, and I did seriously fudge on it, where others who love books just as much as I do didn't, so . . .

I’m updating so I have only 30 on my list. 

Remove The Long Secret, and keep only Harriet the Spy

Remove six of the Harry Potter books and keep only The Prisoner of Azkaban

Remove “Everything by Dick Francis” and replace with ONE book by Dick Francis (I chose Bonecrack, only because it was the first title that popped into my head.  It isn’t his best, but it’s still one of my favorites.)

Also, remove By the Great Horn Spoon and replace with My Friend Flicka by Mary O’Hara, because I can’t believe I forgot it.  I'm not including Thunderhead and The Green Grass of Wyoming (the other two books in the trilogy) on my list.  (See what I did there?  LOL)

awwww, you didn't need to take my (supposed to be comedic) whining seriously Heart i was just trying to be cute :P
FFC20 R1 Born of the Sea
Lisa_Who View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa_Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 10:59pm

Another Dick Francis fan!  I think my favorite might be Reflex.  I also really enjoyed his autobiography.

Edited by Lisa_Who - 09 Apr 2019 at 11:00pm
Edgelords are a bore.
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 11:59pm
Originally posted by Lisa_Who Lisa_Who wrote:

Another Dick Francis fan!  I think my favorite might be Reflex.  I also really enjoyed his autobiography.

Ahh, I almost put Reflex!  Then after I posted, I wished I had put Proof or Twice Shy.  Or For Kicks. It really is not possible, if you're a fan, to pick just one.  Or five.  I struggled mightily with the revelation, after his wife Mary's passing, that she was the mastermind (read--writer) of his huge string of successes.  On the one hand, I love that "Dick Francis" is actually a woman writer, but on the other, it infuriates me that nobody on the planet knew that until after she passed and he suddenly couldn't write a thing until his son stepped in to help.  She evidently wanted to remain in the background, though and I (re)read the books now with a wonderful new sense of understanding.
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 12:03am

awwww, you didn't need to take my (supposed to be comedic) whining seriously Heart i was just trying to be cute :P

Dang, it, I missed that cue again!  I just did the same thing to someone else.  Slow on the uptake, that's me! Embarrassed  But to be fair, you were totally right!
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:37am

Such a great thread - My parents recommended great books when I was a child and young adult. I don't have 30 books here but these are ones I clearly remember and would love to read them all again.  

Scaramouche – Rafael Sabatini

The Three Musketeers - Alexandre Dumas

The Moons of Jupiter – Alice Munro

For the Term of His Natural Life – Marcus Clarke

Zorro – Isabel Allende

Marjorie Morningstar – Herman Wouk

A Tree Grows in Brooklyn – Betty Smith

The Riddle of the Sands – Erskine Childers

The Hunchback of Notre Dame – Victor Hugo

War and Peace – Leo Tolstoy

To Kill A Mockingbird – Harper Lee

The Scarlet Pimpernel – Baroness Orczy

Fried Green Tomatoes at the Whistle Stop Café – Fannie Flagg

The Color Purple – Alice Walker

The Shipping News – E. Annie Proulx

Prince Caspian – CS Lewis

The Hobbit – JRR Tolkein

The Once and Future King – TH White

Pride and Prejudice – Jane Austen

RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 5:55am
Holdo ... I know where you are coming from but I would disagree (a lot) that we are supposed to laugh about a man punching his wife. I really don’t think that is what The Ginger Man is about .... possibly quite the opposite. 
But .... I can certainly understand why people find it offensive. 

Anyway .... I forgot to mention Tom Robbins. Why has no one mentioned Tom Robbins thus far???
So add to my list Still Life With Woodpecker and Even Cowgirls Get the Blues.
Angara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:00am
Originally posted by Mumser Mumser wrote:

Such a great thread - My parents recommended great books when I was a child and young adult. I don't have 30 books here but these are ones I clearly remember and would love to read them all again.  

The Moons of Jupiter – Alice Munro

Zorro – Isabel Allende

The Scarlet Pimpernel – Baroness Orczy

YES! I love seeing Munro and Allende on other people's lists. They are both my favourite writers and I love how opposite their styles appear to be. I keep them on my bookshelf because they've taught me important writing lessons. Allende taught me to be evocative and lush and playful; and Munro taught me how to be subtle and to carefully consider every word.

And I can't believe I forgot to include The Scarlet Pimpernel on my list. Time to go back and do some revision...

Edited by Angara - 10 Apr 2019 at 7:09am
AineKnees View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AineKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:09am
This thread is so great, it's full of great ideas for books to read or re-read! Now I'm thinking for a start I need to read Zorro and The Scarlet Pimpernel... thanks everyone this is fun :-)
OKCryptid View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OKCryptid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 10:18am

Originally posted by OKCryptid OKCryptid wrote:

1. Spinning Silver by Naomi Novik
6. Uprooted by Naomi Novik

Well, hello there, new best friend.

HELLO! Big smile

Naomi made it on the list once more as I'm making my way through the Temeraire series. I love it also, but in a completely different way than those two.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 4567>