NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Round 2 Titles and Synopses

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BellaLilly Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:01pm
Heat 19
Political satire
Fundraising event
A cartoonist

Title: Tit for Tad

My HORRIBLE synopsis (I hate writing them with a passion): When Senator Thaddeus “Tad” Trench attends a fundraiser for breast cancer research, he fails to discover that not everyone supports his political ambitions.

I've never written political satire so this was definitely a challenge. Good luck fellow 19'ers!
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 9:04pm
Originally posted by Lisa_Who Lisa_Who wrote:

Originally posted by JustLurking100 JustLurking100 wrote:

20/Rom Com/Anxiety/Brewer

All is Bitter in Love and Beer

His business is tanking, his mix mojo is off, and he’s falling for his partner’s girlfriend – but Chris is about to discover a surprise or two brewing down at the Pirate Dog.

Jennifer.quail and BarbaraFL, another heatmate for us!! :)  (and if I misspelled anybody's username, please don't kill me, I had a veeery long day at work today)

Four in one heat in the forums! I'm getting spoiled after last round! (Nobody. Just me. I'm especially bummed after seeing the synopses because one sounded very similar to an idea I'd almost gone with.)
kimand48 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kimand48 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 1:25am
Originally posted by Emfizz Emfizz wrote:

Hiya heatmates! Will be stopping by both of these to suss out the competition ;) I struggled with it too, mainly because I've never done a RomCom before. I've had a lot of Spy/Crime Capery type briefs and was so over the genre that I was actually hoping for a RomCom... And lo and behold! The universe does listen!

Group 16: Romantic Comedy / breaking the rules / a marriage counsellor

Somewhere over the Rainbow

When self-professed "loveable joker with a heart of gold" John meets the beautiful and talented Aurora, he thinks he's hit the jackpot... until a shocking revelation threatens to undo it all.

I noticed while writing this story (and also reading past winning RomComs to get a feel for the genre) that I've always had a really bad habit of excessively visualising any story I'm writing like a film. The end result is that my stories are usually quite dialogue-heavy, my descriptions seem a bit flaccid, and I find transitions, summarising passages and exposition really difficult. Anyone else have this problem? 

I ALWAYS have this problem. And for some reason I just imagine that the reader "sees" it just like I do. Come on, just read my mind! LOL
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 4:45am
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Originally posted by JustLurking100 JustLurking100 wrote:

...down at the Pirate Dog.

This would be a Rottweilarrrrrr?

"And that, your honor, was when I slapped him."

(Why am I surrounded by punsters everywhere I go?)

Because everyone loves puns, including you.
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
Emfizz View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Emfizz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 6:50am
Originally posted by kimand48 kimand48 wrote:

Originally posted by Emfizz Emfizz wrote:

Hiya heatmates! Will be stopping by both of these to suss out the competition ;) I struggled with it too, mainly because I've never done a RomCom before. I've had a lot of Spy/Crime Capery type briefs and was so over the genre that I was actually hoping for a RomCom... And lo and behold! The universe does listen!

Group 16: Romantic Comedy / breaking the rules / a marriage counsellor

Somewhere over the Rainbow

When self-professed "loveable joker with a heart of gold" John meets the beautiful and talented Aurora, he thinks he's hit the jackpot... until a shocking revelation threatens to undo it all.

I noticed while writing this story (and also reading past winning RomComs to get a feel for the genre) that I've always had a really bad habit of excessively visualising any story I'm writing like a film. The end result is that my stories are usually quite dialogue-heavy, my descriptions seem a bit flaccid, and I find transitions, summarising passages and exposition really difficult. Anyone else have this problem? 

I ALWAYS have this problem. And for some reason I just imagine that the reader "sees" it just like I do. Come on, just read my mind! LOL

A fellow sufferer! How about we read each other’s stories and see if we feel like it’s too “screenplay dressing up as a short story”? Could be useful! What inevitably happens is that i imagine stuff that doesn’t make it into the story, but it gives the story colour for me because I know. Then I get comments like that wasn’t clear or that was confusing *headdesk*
imbi View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote imbi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:03am
Late to the party... but here goes... 

• Group: 4
  • Genre: Horror
  • Subject: A renovation
  • Character: A researcher

FOR KNOWLEDGE, WE SACRIFICE

Underpaid and overworked, Felicity already thinks the university asks a lot of her. But she’s about to be asked a whole lot more…

2020 100MF R2 GR3 LOADED
2020 100MF R1 GR37 THE WORLD OF WAR CRAFT
vktritschler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote vktritschler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 7:25am
Group: 8
Genre: Horror
Subject: A Rental
Character: A Hairdresser

Title: Bladesmith

Synopsis:
After the virus spread, even earning a living could be deadly.
ellygamgee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ellygamgee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 1:07pm
Group 13
Genre: Historical Fiction
Subject: Hand-me-down
Character: A maid

THE MAGPIES OF SURGUT

We, the Sorokin family, have always served the Baranovs. In folk-songs they sing that the soroka may never again fly into Moscow as penance for the betrayal of an ancient tsar; so we rot here, in remote Surgut, cursed with the Baranov family as they have been cursed with us. 
Seihren View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seihren Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:08pm
Group: 9
Genre: Comedy
Subject: Enemies
Character: A saxophonist

Sax in the City
Synopsis: A saxophonist is paying his dues as a Spirit Coach in Purgatory for being not quite bad enough for Hell and not quite good enough for Heaven. When he’s given the job to Mediate a pair of enemies, he takes it, hoping his music can earn him a one-way-ticket to the Gates.
Rosemarychapple View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Rosemarychapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 11:41pm
I couldn’t get the link to work to your story either. I’d be happy to post my spy story (written in haste while at the zoo on a school excursion) but the instructions look far too complicated for a non computer person! 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23242526>