NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:30am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

1990 words, 1600 written in the last 90 minutes. One edit pass, and that's that.

KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!

Bravo that man.
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:32am
Originally posted by taaaylor taaaylor wrote:

I managed to get extremely sick over all 3 days of the contest. Spent-most-of-Saturday-night-at-the-ER sort of sick. My liver is a bit on fire because (most likely) hepatitis A has taken up residency in me. I'm amazed I got a story out at all. Couldn't have done it without my best friend helping me figure it all out, honestly.

Congrats to everyone who has made it across the finish line, and good luck to anyone using these last couple hours to make it <3 It's been such a joy writing with you all

Oh my goodness! I'm sorry, but well the hell done.

I'm not going to complain about my weekend. You win the suck.
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:33am
All done. I seem to live a blessed life with prompts; I'm never a fan of 'mystery' but 'noise pollution' and 'reading teacher' gave me an easy way in.

Looking forward to seeing what you all make of it. As always, I don't really know how I feel yet. I hope I like it!
uglypantsuit View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote uglypantsuit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 5:56am
I am now wracked with panic that I haven't utilised the subject enough. I think in terms of quality, it's the best piece I've ever written for NYC, and I'm actually extremely proud of it, but I think that's going to cost me. 

Think I need more wine. Please, somebody tell me about the time you were light on a subject on SSC and still got through... please?
Holdo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:12am
Originally posted by uglypantsuit uglypantsuit wrote:

I am now wracked with panic that I haven't utilised the subject enough. I think in terms of quality, it's the best piece I've ever written for NYC, and I'm actually extremely proud of it, but I think that's going to cost me. 

Think I need more wine. Please, somebody tell me about the time you were light on a subject on SSC and still got through... please?

Don't panic. All the judges are different, obviously, but my feeling is that they are primarily judging the quality of your story, not your adherence to the prompts. Plus, your subject was handicap, right? So open to interpretation! Could just mean a weakness or shortcoming, which I'm sure your MC exhibits.
SSC 2019: R1 R2 R3
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:17am
Originally posted by uglypantsuit uglypantsuit wrote:

My second round story last year, a judge literally said I didn’t do much to incorporate the assigned subject (which is true, it was basically a line of dialogue) and I got through to the finals with it. If I’m remembering correctly, plot and character development count for like 70% of the score. Don’t fret! And definitely don’t fret for the next five weeks until we get the results!
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:08am
My subject for Round 1 this year was “funeral” but I really didn’t want to write about a real one. So I wrote about Romeo & Juliet and just referenced the funeral scene, but it was maybe a couple of paragraphs out of the whole story. And one of the judges seemed to miss that scene completely - but it still got me through to Round 2.

So don’t sweat it! I think subject is a much more woolly concept than character/object (where it’s clear if you have or haven’t incorporated it) and that can work in your favour, as long as you’ve not ignored it completely.
All my stories are here!
kcraven View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kcraven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:14am
So I had the flu, and at one point Sunday afternoon, I'd convinced myself not to bother finishing. Then I did it, and it's done, and I won't be going on to round 3, but that's okay, because I didn't give up, and I didn't puke, so it's all good.
No apple-tinis for me. Pass the Gravol.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:23am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

1990 words, 1600 written in the last 90 minutes. One edit pass, and that's that.

But you did it!  Way to go!
This sig intentionally blank
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:25am
Originally posted by Holdo Holdo wrote:

Okay. So I feel like some sort of mama's boy now, because I declared myself out of the running a couple of times and actually, honestly gave up. But I put on my big boy pants this morning (Monday Australia time) and bashed out a new second half and somehow got it in with three minutes to spare. It's not good, but it's also not completely horrible, and there are a few lines in it that give me quiet satisfaction even if no one else likes them.

Had a hell of a time with the prompts, and some real-life hurdles including a house coated in 2mm of plaster dust and a three year-old who decided she would never sleep again because monsters, but hey, it's all part of the fun, right? I actually feel like giving up the second time was an essential part of my process, because it allowed me to get a worry-free sleep before the final push. Or is that wishful thinking?

Anyway, I'll take an appletini thanks, or a G&T if one's going.

Congrats to all who submitted, especially those who are happy with what they did.

Well done!  We're all proud of you for sticking it out (and anyone who isn't doesn't count Big smile)
This sig intentionally blank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 7891011 14>