NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-HardyCarroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:01pm
The accelerated timeline made me go with an idea I wasn't super fond of. I've been amusing myself in the meantime trying to find what the other writers in my heat did last time. Only the winner of the entire heat advances this round, so it has to be better than last time. I was wondering if the announcements of the winners for the last heat were in order? Last time they used a point system, but this one is more arcane. 
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:16pm
Originally posted by J-HardyCarroll J-HardyCarroll wrote:

The accelerated timeline made me go with an idea I wasn't super fond of. I've been amusing myself in the meantime trying to find what the other writers in my heat did last time. Only the winner of the entire heat advances this round, so it has to be better than last time. I was wondering if the announcements of the winners for the last heat were in order? Last time they used a point system, but this one is more arcane. 

I think it's the top 3 of each heat that goes through,

So, still harder, and the competition of arguably better quality than in the first round, but still.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 6:22pm
Originally posted by Seacore Seacore wrote:

I think it's the top 3 of each heat that goes through,

So, still harder, and the competition of arguably better quality than in the first round, but still.

7. 2nd Round (April 4, 2019 thru April 7, 2019) : Writers are again placed randomly in Heats. There are a maximum of 30 heats in the 2nd round distributed evenly with the writers advancing out of the 1st Round. Each heat receives a new Genre, Subject and Character assignment that must be included in the story. The top 3 writers in each heat in the 2nd Round will advance to the 3rd round of the competition

So yeah, the top three advance. Still not great odds but slightly better.
DeLynn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DeLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 8:17pm
Originally posted by Ennazus Ennazus wrote:

Same. I had to cut 440 words. It was tough. Thankful for beta readers. Still in this case, the story was stronger just a little longer. 

Ugh, but I realized I modified a really effective line Inshould have left alone. Oh well. At this point, it’s the best kind of story... a finished one! 

AMEN! I shredded down to 1,999 words and submitted with only eight minutes to spare (and I'd already had to re-set my password because I'd forgotten it; talk about PANICK). I realized after midnight that I never actually did a non-stop read-through after I made the cuts, before I submitted. For all I knew, I could've deleted some necessary paragraph or left a few incomplete sentences dangling. I nearly s*it myself. I was almost too terrified to open the laptop and check.
'23 SS R1 G54 Bitter_Harvest

'19 SS R1 1st Place: Smack
R2 Tilly's Run

patsy View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote patsy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:19pm

The point system is only for flash as everyone gets to write twice and the top five scores go through to round 3.  SS doesn't have points, at least not that we see. Smile

Top three get to move on to round three here.
GaleGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:40pm
My title came to me right away, and I kinda love it.

I did see two things I would change in an edit so far, but I couldn't see them before I submitted.

I submitted around 6 p.m. Sunday, but didn't have the fortitude or clarity to reread my work. I spent at least 23 waking hours on this piece in three days.

For those of you who can keep your head in the game when most others can't reconnect with their piece after a point, how do you do it?

What is your palliative?

Edited by GaleGirl - 08 Apr 2019 at 9:41pm
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:52pm
Originally posted by GaleGirl GaleGirl wrote:

My title came to me right away, and I kinda love it.

I did see two things I would change in an edit so far, but I couldn't see them before I submitted.

I submitted around 6 p.m. Sunday, but didn't have the fortitude or clarity to reread my work. I spent at least 23 waking hours on this piece in three days.

For those of you who can keep your head in the game when most others can't reconnect with their piece after a point, how do you do it?

What is your palliative?

Usually it's walking away from it and coming back later, but that's less an option with these time frames.

Beta readers are essential for me, because they can read it fresh, whereas I see all the versions at once.

But another trick that works for me is reading it for different purposes.

As in 
a) read through and see whether the words are a pleasure to read, just the phonetics of them. Force myself not to care about the story.
b) read through with a focus on individual characters. What have I communicated about this other character? Ignore everything else that's going on.
c) read through purely for a timeline, how long has the story actually taken.

Different kinds of stories have different options, but the point is to try and stop reading the story that I think I'm writing and actually read what's on the page.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
Mumser View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mumser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 9:58pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

1990 words, 1600 written in the last 90 minutes. One edit pass, and that's that.

But you did it!  Way to go!

Thanks. I'm glad I finished it. That is at least putting a pin in it.

Yes! Sometimes the sprint ones are the best, no time for second guessing. Looking forward to it, Stephen!
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:26pm
I'm getting very sulky about these fake story posts up in the comp sub. 

I wants to reads.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:47pm
Originally posted by Seacore Seacore wrote:

I'm getting very sulky about these fake story posts up in the comp sub. 

I wants to reads.

They're not fakes, they're placeholders.  You'll have plenty to read soon enough  Big smile
This sig intentionally blank
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1011121314>