NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

1990 words, 1600 written in the last 90 minutes. One edit pass, and that's that.

But you did it!  Way to go!

Thanks. I'm glad I finished it. That is at least putting a pin in it.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 1:48pm
Originally posted by GallifreyGirl GallifreyGirl wrote:

I'm honestly shocked as hell that I submitted this round. "Thriller" has now joined "mystery" as the categories I never, ever want again. It is legit impossible for me to do in 2k words. I cut so much I'm pretty sure the story doesn't even have enough left to make sense.

But.

I'm f**king done, let the chips fall where they may.

That's how I feel, ha! 

You did it though, congrats!
SSC 2021 R2: Complex Fracture
SSC 2021 R1: Before Her Time 2nd
crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:00pm
I didn't share my Round 1 story because I felt shy and worried that it wasn't very good. I guess since it got me through to Round 2, it probably wasn't as bad as I feared it was. I'm still feeling shy, but I would like to share my story for feedback this time around. Can someone please explain to me how this works? (I am completely new to this, or any, competition.)
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:03pm
Originally posted by crez crez wrote:

I didn't share my Round 1 story because I felt shy and worried that it wasn't very good. I guess since it got me through to Round 2, it probably wasn't as bad as I feared it was. I'm still feeling shy, but I would like to share my story for feedback this time around. Can someone please explain to me how this works? (I am completely new to this, or any, competition.)

Crez - check out this link. It should get you where you need to be. :)

crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

Thank you! How do we give each other feedback? 
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:08pm

Every story will have it's own thread - you can leave your comments on the author's story thread. Most folks will happily do a return review for you!
crez View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote crez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 2:19pm

Every story will have it's own thread - you can leave your comments on the author's story thread. Most folks will happily do a return review for you!

Thanks again!!!
jgochoco View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jgochoco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:23pm

Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

1990 words, 1600 written in the last 90 minutes. One edit pass, and that's that.

KNEW YOU COULD DO IT!

Bravo that man.

Sigh. We'll see. There's a much better story in it, but it was a grind to get it out. I did everything *but* this story.

And thanks.

Can't wait to read your story! I'm sure it will be great
AineKnees View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote AineKnees Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:53pm
Go for it Crez! I was apprehensive about the forum and sharing etc too but actually it's such an amazing part of the whole competition! It's so lovely when someone tells you something they liked about your story. And the constructive criticism is great too. Don't worry, it's a very positive experience! :-)
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 4:59pm

The first time I posted something I wrote here, I wrote something like "new writer - please be gentle with feedback." So you can always do something like that if you want. I've gotten better about accepting constructive criticism as well, so now I don't post a caveat like this anymore, but it was helpful when I started. 

Good luck!

-Alex
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 910111213 14>