NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Post-submission lounge
    Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:29pm
Pull up a seat, dear friend. I've made appletinis.

I'm refusing to look at my story again until I post it on the forum.

I found this round challenging in that I was worried I was both taking a pedestrian approach to the prompts and simultaneously not pulling it off.

How'd you all go?
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
SSC R1 H128 - Truth and Fire
Lisa_Who View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa_Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 7:55pm
I've managed to convince myself that I entered the wrong heat number into the submission form, which means that I'm going to have to submit my story again even though absolutely nothing has changed about it, because otherwise I won't be able to go to sleep tonight. :) 
Edgelords are a bore.
alelha View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote alelha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:00pm
I thought I did that as well. You can check submittable and it shows you all the info under content so you can check.
crumhorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote crumhorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:30pm
Reread just now, fixed one mistake, and resubmitted.  I'm not sure this story is particularly inspired, but I had fun writing it!  Nice to be done and I look forward to the forum. :-)
FF22R1: Stories

SS22R3: Mystery
Meggles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Meggles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:38pm
I keep submitting and reading and tweaking and resubmitting. Soooo I’ve officially banned myself from my laptop. Pass the appletinis!
FF 2021: C1
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:41pm
I'll take one of those appletinis!

That was hard. I'm...happier with how my story turned out than I thought I'd be. No idea what the judges will think, but I did the best I could with a weird set of prompts.

Edited by Cosima - 07 Apr 2019 at 8:42pm
SSC 2021 R2: Complex Fracture
SSC 2021 R1: Before Her Time 2nd
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:41pm
I'm with you on the panic about "did this correctly submit" I'll only check a few more times before close. But I suppose that's why we email it as well.

I found I really struggled on a title, which is not a common thing for me. But I couldn't find an essence to distil my story down into, which worried me. So I ended up changing a piece of dialogue to hang the title from.
SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:41pm
Submitted at 1998 words (took two out just to be safe). Not my best effort, but my husband likes it, which is probably a good indicator of a romance, haha.

Mostly I'm relieved not to have it in my head anymore. I'm one round further than I made it in SSC last year, so that's good enough for me.
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:44pm
Originally posted by manifestlynot manifestlynot wrote:

Submitted at 1998 words (took two out just to be safe).

LOL I did that too--mine ended up at 1992. I know it's irrational, since I've read numerous times they go with the lower word count between Word and Google Docs, but I keep thinking somehow I miscounted.
SSC 2021 R2: Complex Fracture
SSC 2021 R1: Before Her Time 2nd
Seacore View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Seacore Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 8:48pm
Originally posted by Cosima Cosima wrote:

but I did the best I could with a weird set of prompts.

Yes, I think my heat definitely got the more straight forward of the two thriller prompts.

SSC R2 H2 -Jetsam
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 14>