NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote DeLynn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:48pm
Originally posted by Drib Drib wrote:

Damn, that was hard. 

Still, done now.

Appletini? Thanks, but I think I need some straight whiskey.

Bottoms up!Beer

Tequila neat for me, please!! I need all the cheap courage I can buy at this point!!!
'23 SS R1 G54 Bitter_Harvest

'19 SS R1 1st Place: Smack
R2 Tilly's Run

Evil Tomato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Tomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 5:04am
Originally posted by Briana Una Briana Una wrote:

Originally posted by Evil Tomato Evil Tomato wrote:

Originally posted by redhart redhart wrote:

What suspense group are you in?
I’m in 1, and I sort of threw in a bit of comedy in the first half.
Now if I’d have been assigned comedy, I would have freaked out.

I'm in group 26 - Suspense / an author / an inspection.

I feel like suspense is like deliberately not advancing the plot to create an emotional effect... My instincts were sabotaging me a bit, I think.

I've got a lot of respect for anyone who can write a really good suspense short story, but I don't think I'm one of them yet.

I'm in your heat, and I feel you on being sabotaged by your instincts! Writing this, I felt like on my first pass through I refused to foreshadow anything, because I'm so used to cutting out bad, false suspense from my usual writing. What ended up working was just writing the whole story without regard to dread, anxiety, etc., and then going back once it was done to add foreshadowing statements here and there. 

It felt like being naughty -- you know, in a writerly way. Doing a thing you have been trained out of doing and, better still, doing it because the situation demands it for your success.

Heh, that sounds way more mature and effective than my approach. I just decided that there had to be foreshadowing and it was going to feel forced so I hung a lampshade the size of Tasmania on it and then wrote OBVIOUS FORESHADOWING on the lampshade, and then hung another lampshade on the lampshade.

Metaphorically speaking.
SSC19 R1 Wanderman
FF17 R3 Cock and Bull
Angara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:01am

Originally posted by Briana Una Briana Una wrote:

What suspense group are you in?
I’m in 1, and I sort of threw in a bit of comedy in the first half.
Now if I’d have been assigned comedy, I would have freaked out.

I'm in group 26 - Suspense / an author / an inspection.

I feel like suspense is like deliberately not advancing the plot to create an emotional effect... My instincts were sabotaging me a bit, I think.

I've got a lot of respect for anyone who can write a really good suspense short story, but I don't think I'm one of them yet.

I'm in your heat, and I feel you on being sabotaged by your instincts! Writing this, I felt like on my first pass through I refused to foreshadow anything, because I'm so used to cutting out bad, false suspense from my usual writing. What ended up working was just writing the whole story without regard to dread, anxiety, etc., and then going back once it was done to add foreshadowing statements here and there. 

It felt like being naughty -- you know, in a writerly way. Doing a thing you have been trained out of doing and, better still, doing it because the situation demands it for your success.

Heh, that sounds way more mature and effective than my approach. I just decided that there had to be foreshadowing and it was going to feel forced so I hung a lampshade the size of Tasmania on it and then wrote OBVIOUS FORESHADOWING on the lampshade, and then hung another lampshade on the lampshade.

Metaphorically speaking.

I'm in heat one (suspense / a diet / a professional wrestler) and it was "suspense" that I struggled with the most. What I couldn't get around the fact was the idea of suspense as its own genre; sure, suspense is a component of mystery, thriller, crime capers, spy...but on its own? I was having a lot of difficulty with it. I think I need to go out and read more.

At the end I buckled and wrote something vaguely sci-fi because I was still riding high on inspiration from round one (which was sci-fi). Didn't have time to go back on it because by the time I started writing it was noon on the day of the due date.

Tbh, the real suspense of the evening was whether or not I'd get it submitted on time LOL

If I don't make it to the final round, that's fine. Coming up with something and submitting it is already a win for me.

Edited by Angara - 09 Apr 2019 at 7:03am
Heartstart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Heartstart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:01am
Yeah, I definitely felt like my Round 2 story was nowhere near my best. I just couldn't really get into my prompts (and it didn't help that I got the dreaded 'spy' genre)! 

On the plus side, it feels great to have achieved something, to have finished something. 

Can't wait to start reading the Round 2 stories that are posted! 
redhart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 7:32am
[QUOTE

At the end I buckled and wrote something vaguely sci-fi because I was still riding high on inspiration from round one (which was sci-fi). Didn't have time to go back on it because by the time I started writing it was noon on the day of the due date.

Tbh, the real suspense of the evening was whether or not I'd get it submitted on time LOL

If I don't make it to the final round, that's fine. Coming up with something and submitting it is already a win for me.
[/QUOTE]

Genre mash-ups, imho, seem to do well with the judges. So there’s that. I think they have a point of difference that make them stand out among the other stories. I threw in a bit of comedy but don’t know how that will be accepted in a suspense LOL
It was great just to get to the second round.

BarbaraFL View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BarbaraFL Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:30am
I just re-read my first paragraph, and it reads as if a five-year-old wrote it. Shocked

I have a firm belief in what a former teacher called the "zero draft" - get it all on the page and then fix it - but yeah my zero draft shouldn't have been what I submitted to this contest.

Welp, screenwriting starts this weekend!

Edited by BarbaraFL - 09 Apr 2019 at 8:31am
Angara View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Angara Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:34am

Genre mash-ups, imho, seem to do well with the judges. So there’s that. I think they have a point of difference that make them stand out among the other stories. I threw in a bit of comedy but don’t know how that will be accepted in a suspense LOL
It was great just to get to the second round.

incorporating comedy in with suspense is a stroke of genius. Usually I associate suspense with danger, gravity, impending doom etc. etc. but it occurred to me hours after submitting that I could have tried comedy. Suspense has its place in comedy and vice versa; a lot of comedy sitcoms use suspense to heighten anticipation of a joke's resolution.  

...Then again, I'm terrible at comedy, so I don't know why I thought trying my hand at it would improve my submission.

The fact that you've incorporated comedy in your piece makes me want to read all the more, imho.

Edited by Angara - 09 Apr 2019 at 8:35am
Scribbles View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Scribbles Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 11:39am
Same. I was so worried about not "getting" the genre I almost didn't finish. But baby's out in the world and now comes the waitingOuch
GaleGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GaleGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 8:15pm
Originally posted by Seacore Seacore wrote:

Originally posted by GaleGirl GaleGirl wrote:

My title came to me right away, and I kinda love it.

I did see two things I would change in an edit so far, but I couldn't see them before I submitted.

I submitted around 6 p.m. Sunday, but didn't have the fortitude or clarity to reread my work. I spent at least 23 waking hours on this piece in three days.

For those of you who can keep your head in the game when most others can't reconnect with their piece after a point, how do you do it?

What is your palliative?

Usually it's walking away from it and coming back later, but that's less an option with these time frames.

Beta readers are essential for me, because they can read it fresh, whereas I see all the versions at once.

But another trick that works for me is reading it for different purposes.

As in 
a) read through and see whether the words are a pleasure to read, just the phonetics of them. Force myself not to care about the story.
b) read through with a focus on individual characters. What have I communicated about this other character? Ignore everything else that's going on.
c) read through purely for a timeline, how long has the story actually taken.

Different kinds of stories have different options, but the point is to try and stop reading the story that I think I'm writing and actually read what's on the page.

Very thoughtful, helpful response. Thanks for taking the time to share that framework. Clap
BooksbyBJThompson View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BooksbyBJThompson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 3:20pm
I rather collapsed into a mini coma after submitting. For me, R2 was a severe challenge as genre was well out of my wheelhouse. I had to double-down on the focus and get out my machete to kill the babble.

I'll take that appletini off your hands... no, not the glass. Hand me the pitcher. Thanks.Wink
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 11121314>