NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Post-submission lounge

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:27pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

While drinking my post-submission glass of wine, I received an email letting me know the issue of WINK: Writers in the Know magazine with my first round flash fic "Once in a Millennial" is out! Now it's a post-submission, finally-published glass of wine!

Congratulations!  That's so exciting!
justmel View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote justmel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:32pm
Mine's in at 1999 words.  I'm in a Crime Caper heat (18) but wound up with a mashup of that and Political Satire.  My betas were encouraging, but I can't decide if I like the final result or hate it.  It was in and out of the trash so many times . . . I'm just glad I got something submitted, because there were several times this weekend when I was sure it wasn't going to happen.  No idea if I'll wind up posting it.
MsVickie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MsVickie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:34pm
I love everyone talking about checking that they were writing from the correct prompt multiple times. I totally did the same thing and thought I was the only one!

I'm feeling pretty meh about my fairy tale. I pulled off a number one for my round one of historical fiction but I don't think this next one is going to be a winner. Fairy tales are clearly not my forte, or at least not ones with wardens in them. 
2021 100-word Microfiction: Surviving Sally
alpaca_shearer View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alpaca_shearer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:45pm
Originally posted by justmel justmel wrote:

Mine's in at 1999 words.  I'm in a Crime Caper heat (18) but wound up with a mashup of that and Political Satire.  My betas were encouraging, but I can't decide if I like the final result or hate it.  It was in and out of the trash so many times . . . I'm just glad I got something submitted, because there were several times this weekend when I was sure it wasn't going to happen.  No idea if I'll wind up posting it.

I was in 18 as well and it sounds like we went in completely different directions. I decided to just make it a straight-up Wild West rootin' tootin' shoot-em-up heist story. I don't know if it will play well with the judges, but I had a blast writing it! 
Evil Tomato View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Evil Tomato Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:46pm
Holy carp, that was painful. 

After two and a half days of having literally no worthwhile ideas, I finally forced myself to resolve on a basic plot and grind out 1993 uninspired, clumsy and vile words. 

Rather than suspense, it feels more like high concept sci-fi horror comedy, and I'm not sure it actually meets my prompts in any meaningful way, but it is written and submitted and oh god I need whiskey.

Hooray?

Edit: spelilng

Edited by Evil Tomato - 07 Apr 2019 at 11:46pm
SSC19 R1 Wanderman
FF17 R3 Cock and Bull
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:49pm
Originally posted by Littledaylight Littledaylight wrote:

Finally submitted! Is it bad to say I'm proud of mine? It certainly took me for a ride but it turned into a story I really love. And I absolutely can't wait to read everyone's stories soon! 

Anyone else from heat 10 who wants to share stories, feel free to send me a private message.

You should be, it’s wonderful!!
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:54pm
I'm honestly shocked as hell that I submitted this round. "Thriller" has now joined "mystery" as the categories I never, ever want again. It is legit impossible for me to do in 2k words. I cut so much I'm pretty sure the story doesn't even have enough left to make sense.

But.

I'm f**king done, let the chips fall where they may.
FFC20 R1 Born of the Sea
AngofWords View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngofWords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:55pm
I seem to be in the minority here in that I really love my story. That's not to say I expect it to get me to the next round, but I really enjoyed writing it, even with the stress of the whole endeavor.  I can't wait to read some of the others (particularly my heat - #3) once we're allowed to post them. 
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:58pm
I spent days writing a story I didn’t love. Then I scrapped the whole thing last night, started fresh, and love my new one! I don’t know how it will do. It’s a little odd. But I loved it and learned to trust my own voice.
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
AngofWords View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote AngofWords Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 11:58pm
Originally posted by Littledaylight Littledaylight wrote:

Finally submitted! Is it bad to say I'm proud of mine? It certainly took me for a ride but it turned into a story I really love. 

Good for you!! I love it when artists can love their own work! ❤
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 14>