NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Numbers

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 10:54am
I got a first place in R1. I'm still nervous about being in a group full of other people who placed. And so's everyone else who placed first!
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 11:27am
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, but further lends credence to the idea that 1st/5th isn't truly meaningful when the prompts and the heats are drastically different between rounds--

The rounds themselves are vastly different.  Eight days vs. three vs. one.  I know a LOT of writers who, if you give them more than a week to research, workshop, and edit a story, will produce brilliance in almost any genre.  But some of them, if only given a weekend, or 16 waking hours, will produce absolute dreck.  The time crunch is a MASSIVE equalizer in these contests.

TD

Great point. I’m the opposite - too much time and I drive myself insane. No matter how much time I have, the idea comes 24-48 hours before the deadline, so 6 extra days (or in this round’s case, 2) of pounding out bad stories is just frustrating.
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
Cassalass View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassalass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Apr 2019 at 1:56pm
Originally posted by td333777 td333777 wrote:

Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention in my previous post, but further lends credence to the idea that 1st/5th isn't truly meaningful when the prompts and the heats are drastically different between rounds--

The rounds themselves are vastly different.  Eight days vs. three vs. one.  I know a LOT of writers who, if you give them more than a week to research, workshop, and edit a story, will produce brilliance in almost any genre.  But some of them, if only given a weekend, or 16 waking hours, will produce absolute dreck.  The time crunch is a MASSIVE equalizer in these contests.

TD

Thumbs Up you get the award for most satisfying share of information to my panicked brain. Such brilliant analysis gives this number 5 hope that I'm not an imposter at the cool kids table.
R1,H55,Historical Fiction The Rat Merchant
R2,H11,RomanceOn Your Left
ADave411 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ADave411 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Apr 2019 at 6:03pm
Originally posted by Meggles Meggles wrote:

And only five of us posted our first round stories in the forums.

Only four writers from Heat 24 have shared their title and synopsis so far, but hopefully more will post their full stories when the time comes. I'm eager to see how others were inspired by this prompt.

Edited by ADave411 - 09 Apr 2019 at 6:04pm
All NYCM Entries
Instagram: @MrD_Reads
J-HardyCarroll View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote J-HardyCarroll Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Apr 2019 at 9:09pm
Shoot. I feel like a lame-o. I looked up how many people were in my heat (21) but really only wanted to see how many were first place. There was only one other. The rest were mostly fourth and fifth. It takes a lot of cross-referencing to find their stories in the forums, so I didn't bother. Hopefully more will post this round than last. I think the feedback is the best part of this (both giving and getting). We all get really attached to our stories, so if nothing else it thickens our skin. Writing well is so hard, and my worst enemy is myself (when I think something is good and/or finished!) ;-)
KevinC View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote KevinC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2019 at 3:10pm
Wow! Looks like a lot of work was done here. (-: I don't see my heat (27) dissected yet. (-; I haven't really paid attention to any of the numbers. For me, I see it as more of a luck of the draw of what you yourself get saddled with. I got first place in round 1...I was in a genre I was comfortable with. The stars aligned, I guess. But, to be honest...I really didn't like my story at all. I was certain I wouldn't even make it to round 2. I failed epically in round 2. Numbers don't always work. But now I'm curious about the breakdown in my heat. WinkSmile

Edited by KevinC - 11 Apr 2019 at 3:11pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 567