NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hey, losers...

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RBJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 6:19pm
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

OK, I had to Wiki D B Cooper but that makes this a really clever story :-0

He's one of the great legendary tales in the USA. We still have news updates about people claiming to know the answer to his story. Add me to the list. ;)
SSC 2019 Round 1: Duluth
karlynns View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote karlynns Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Apr 2019 at 8:45pm

Ok fellow losers, I'm going to go with Horror - renovation - a researcher

I have a story in mind (I've been contemplating the horror of horror since I found out it was a thing here) but I'm so horrified by it I don't want to write it!

Watch this space...I might be some time!

Ooh!  You picked the same one as me!  That makes us heat-mates, right?  Smile
Katie Ess

Read my Round #1 FFC The Short-Lived Season of Cooking-Live!
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 8:20am
Originally posted by karlynns karlynns wrote:

Ok fellow losers, I'm going to go with Horror - renovation - a researcher

I have a story in mind (I've been contemplating the horror of horror since I found out it was a thing here) but I'm so horrified by it I don't want to write it!

Watch this space...I might be some time!

Ooh!  You picked the same one as me!  That makes us heat-mates, right?  Smile

A heat of two! Guaranteed to get through then :-D

I've just finished my second draft - it's 400 words light and it's the only story that's made me cry as I'm writing it - I do hate horror :-(

Just steeling myself for the third draft...
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 10:09am
This story was a particular challenge for me as I hate the horror genre - I don't read it or watch it and, on the rare occasion that I've caugh the edge of a Stephen King film, I have regretted it. Yet the reality of taking part in the NYC Competitons, which I am keen to do, means that I may need to embrace the horror genre one day. I could have waited and crossed that bridge if/when I came to it, but I thought I would use losers corner (insert apostrophe as appropriate!) as an opportunity to explore the genre.

I've tried to work with the prompts and the story comes in at 1,942 words so I have a few to play with. The post is protected - the password is Dianahounds

This story made me cry as I was writing it and nothing about it has made me change my horror of horror. I think that the worst part is that the most horrifying aspects are based in truth.

I dedicate this story to the galgos and podencos - may Diana protect you.

https://ideal-reader.blog/2019/04/06/short-story-the-hunted-warning-horror-genre-not-for-the-sensitive/

Edited by Alex Grey - 06 Apr 2019 at 6:13pm
RBJohnson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RBJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:00am

This story was a particular challenge for me as I hate the horror genre - I don't read it or watch it and, on the rare occasion that I've caugh the edge of a Stephen King film, I have regretted it. Yet the reality of taking part in the NYC Competitons, which I am keen to do, means that I may need to embrace the horror genre one day. I could have waited and crossed that bridge if/when I came to it, but I thought I would use losers corner (insert apostrophe as appropriate!) as an opportunity to explore the genre.

I've tried to work with the prompts and the story comes in at 1,942 words so I have a few to play with. The post is protected - the password is Diana's Hounds

This story made me cry as I was writing it and nothing about it has made me change my horror of horror. I think that the worst part is that the most horrifying aspects are based in truth.

https://ideal-reader.blog/2019/04/06/short-story-the-hunted-warning-horror-genre-not-for-the-sensitive/

I can't get the password to work. :( Tried it with and without a space between words.
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 11:17am
Originally posted by RBJohnson RBJohnson wrote:

I've tried to work with the prompts and the story comes in at 1,942 words so I have a few to play with. The post is protected - the password is Diana's Hounds

I can't get the password to work. :( Tried it with and without a space between words.

Thanks for letting me know - I've fiddled with it - try Dianahounds and let me know if it works :-)
RBJohnson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RBJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 12:14pm
I'm in! Time to read.

RBJohnson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RBJohnson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 12:34pm

That was quite a ride! I had to break out my wiki to learn about galgos, so we're even on that score now. :)

I love a story of deserved revenge. Well-done. I'll revisit some of those terrible tree-born images for a good while. The story had the feel of an established legend, as if you would hear it upon visiting that place in Spain. Haunting. I'd say you're a leader in your group. ;)

Edit: I just saw your new avatar picture. QUIT IT!!

Edited by RBJohnson - 06 Apr 2019 at 12:35pm
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Apr 2019 at 12:41pm
Originally posted by RBJohnson RBJohnson wrote:

That was quite a ride! I had to break out my wiki to learn about galgos, so we're even on that score now. :)

I love a story of deserved revenge. Well-done. I'll revisit some of those terrible tree-born images for a good while. The story had the feel of an established legend, as if you would hear it upon visiting that place in Spain. Haunting. I'd say you're a leader in your group. ;)

Edit: I just saw your new avatar picture. QUIT IT!!

Thank you so much for the feedback - it's so encouraging and I feel as if I've slayed a monster just by writing the tale.

My avatar is one of my ancient greyhounds, Herbie, he's very much alive and pretty much lives on custard and quiche!
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2019 at 10:00am
Hey, as we're Non-Comp, can we extend the deadline, so long as we only spend a couple of days writing? I've been travelling and conferencing and funeralling, and I'm off again tomorrow, but might get time on the various planes and at the airports. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567>