NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tools to Find Places to Submit

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G1nsbergB3ats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Tools to Find Places to Submit
    Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:57am
Hey everyone! So in the long wait, I was thinking of sprucing up my story that passed muster last year and see if I can find a place to submit it. I know there are tools floating around out there such as Duotrope, but I thought I had seen a similar FREE tool floating around on these forums... am I mistaken? 

If anyone has any suggestions, I'd love to hear them! Not looking to make money, just get published/credits to hopefully one day become an actual writer!

I'm open to paid services too, but money is tight right now because my wife and I are starting to look for our first home. :P
2020 SSC R1 G36 The Last Troll Boy
td333777 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote td333777 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 12:41pm
Submission Grinder is a similar tool to Duotrope, and it’s free.  That being said, I think Duotrope is far superior and is kept current and updated more often.  Plus, it’s only five bucks, which won’t break the bank for anyone.  Here’s a link to the Grinder, though, just so you have it:

Have fun!

Trey
FF '17 - 1st, SSC '18 - 2nd, FF '20 - 7th
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Mar 2019 at 10:14pm
Just to keep submissions front of mind, on Twitter I mostly follow writers and places that post submission opportunities. Also made one of my "big 4" phone apps the Submittable app (though that was $5.99, I think?) for the same reason (so when I need to kill time and just have my phone, I can just either zone out on scrolling submission opportunities instead of other stuff) LOL It does sound like Duotrope is good for when you are ready full-on submitting mode (not sure I'm there yet!)
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
GallifreyGirl View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote GallifreyGirl Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 1:09am
I use newpages.com and I follow #callforsubmissions and #openforsubmissions on Insta & Twitter
FFC20 R1 Born of the Sea
G1nsbergB3ats View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote G1nsbergB3ats Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Mar 2019 at 9:04am
Thanks everyone! I mean yeah $50 a year wouldn't break the bank, or just $5 for a few months in order to find a home for a short story or three, I didn't even look at how much Duotrope cost, I just saw "fee" and thought "writer" and in my experience... like we make $0 anyways so it's always rough to cough up anything in my mind. I'm not even trying to get paid, just get publication since it's a life goal that I think is obtainable. 
2020 SSC R1 G36 The Last Troll Boy
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 10:47pm
I do not believe that calling your agent a tool is the way to go.
Cassalass View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Cassalass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Mar 2019 at 1:15pm
submittal.com is free though a little less user friendly. So I've heard. I'm researching this as well so I'm glad you started this post.

R1,H55,Historical Fiction The Rat Merchant
R2,H11,RomanceOn Your Left
Thesula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thesula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2019 at 1:13pm
I really like Submission Grinder, and I recently found a new site called Literarium.net. It's almost the same as Submission Grinder, but it has some different markets, and I use that after I've checked out Submission Grinder.  I'm pretty sure you do have to make an account to search it, but it's free. The information in it isn't always accurate (same with Submission Grinder), but it's good for searching for new markets, and then you can check out the official website guidelines for information.  

If you write in sci fi/ fantasy/horror, there are a few really great websites I like to keep an eye on: 

SSC 2019 R1 Romantic Comedy Manhattan Syndrome
SSC 2017 R2 Historical Fiction The Debt
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 12:51pm
I'm with Trey that Duotrope is my favorite & I happily fork over the five bucks a month. I get having a budget, but if you can forego something else--one less trip to the coffee shop, one night of PB&J instead of something nicer, it really is worth it. 

I'm not a huge fan of Submission Grinder - it may be a preference thing but I don't like their site. I also don't think the information is as complete - the stats are good, but I feel like Duotrope gives more, plus there's descriptions of the magazines, sometimes sample covers, & interviews with the editors that all help me decide if a submission is a good fit. Also, if you find an error or inconsistency on Duotrope, their staff is really responsive, which gives me the confidence that their listings are constantly being improved. 

I have no real use for Submittable. I know some folks swear by it, but I don't find it user friendly at all. However if you are just looking for places to submit--not tracking your submission, etc--I have found a couple opportunities in their weekly newsletter. Master's Review also puts out a good newsletter with lots of opportunities in it--not just their stuff, but contests, other lit mags, etc.
Jhill View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Jhill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Mar 2019 at 2:56pm
Love Duotrope, but this newsletter is also good. The author provides calls for submission, contests, and conferences each month. She also does interviews with authors who have new books coming out.   https://publishedtodeath.blogspot.com/ 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>