NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Challenge 4 Titles and Loglines

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote jdadams1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Challenge 4 Titles and Loglines
    Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 12:52am
The deadline has passed, so (to the best of my understanding) we can now post title and loglines -- and only titles and loglines. (Do not post links to your screenplay until you get confirmation from NYC Midnight that you are free to post. This confirmation usually comes on Wednesday. Posting your piece before you receive the confirmation could get you disqualified.)

There, now that the fun disqualification conversation is out of the way, let's have some fun and share our titles and loglines. As a reminder, the prompts were:
* Genre: Open
* Object: A multi-tool

My submission:

GERTIE GOLLY HELPS FOLKS OUT WITH STUFF 

A plucky and well-meaning teenage detective uses her wits and daring when armed assailants overrun her school field trip.

This is very different than anything I've written before, but if you've read some of my FFC stories, you may see some thematic similarities. I started another idea that I love, but I could not make it work in five pages, so frantically came up with something else that I ended up loving even more -- thanks in large part to my betas, who were AMAZING this time. AMAZING! 

I ended up submitting (I think) six times :) Because I kept going back, changing a word or two, and re-submitting. I got my last submission in two minutes before the deadline, which was VERY nerve-wracking, because it didn't leave me time to do much proofing! But it's in, and I don't notice any glaring errors.

Good luck, all!

Edited by jdadams1 - 25 Feb 2019 at 12:52am
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 1:18am
Yours will be amazing (as always!!)

I feel okay about mine. I drafted it out and kept working on it, even as I waited a better idea (which did not come), so it feels pretty clean. I just don't know if it's any good, lol. Time will tell.

Unexpected Utility

Ava learns how helpful the Extractor multi-tool can be when a trip to the GoodTool corporate office tests her survival skills.

Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 2:06am
Can't wait to read these guys!

Here's mine:

DISCONNECTED

In an alternate future, with London caught in a deadly blitz, a semi-lucid cyborg breaks into Wrentech Industries to confront her maker.

All my stories are here!
wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 2:30am
Looks like they'll have a varied selection 

Mine :
The repairman 
A man's Guardian Angels try to help him build confidence and stand up for himself, but have they taken it too far?

I spent one and a half days on a story that had to be dumped for being unworkable, then came up with this one, which I loved as a concept but also didn't work and had one major redraft that REALLY didn't work, before  at about 1am, I decided to go back to the first draft anddo more minor amendments and try to makedo. Feel pretty satisfied that this was the best I could do at the moment, which isgood enough enough for me!

Edited by wateringcan - 25 Feb 2019 at 2:35am
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 3:07am
Originally posted by jdadams1 jdadams1 wrote:

The deadline has passed, so (to the best of my understanding) we can now post title and loglines -- and only titles and loglines. (Do not post links to your screenplay until you get confirmation from NYC Midnight that you are free to post. This confirmation usually comes on Wednesday. Posting your piece before you receive the confirmation could get you disqualified.)

There, now that the fun disqualification conversation is out of the way, let's have some fun and share our titles and loglines. As a reminder, the prompts were:
* Genre: Open
* Object: A multi-tool

My submission:

GERTIE GOLLY HELPS FOLKS OUT WITH STUFF 

A plucky and well-meaning teenage detective uses her wits and daring when armed assailants overrun her school field trip.

This is very different than anything I've written before, but if you've read some of my FFC stories, you may see some thematic similarities. I started another idea that I love, but I could not make it work in five pages, so frantically came up with something else that I ended up loving even more -- thanks in large part to my betas, who were AMAZING this time. AMAZING! 

I ended up submitting (I think) six times :) Because I kept going back, changing a word or two, and re-submitting. I got my last submission in two minutes before the deadline, which was VERY nerve-wracking, because it didn't leave me time to do much proofing! But it's in, and I don't notice any glaring errors.

Good luck, all!

Yay! Happy to be a beta reader for you this time! I hope I was helpful! I can't wait to read the final version.
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
Snarkmaiden View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Snarkmaiden Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 3:27am
Sport Of Queens

When Newmarket Racecourse is evacuated during its biggest day of the year, one groom risks everything to stay with her beloved charge.

Inspired by real events.

(And boy did I dither about including that second part!)
rossinny View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote rossinny Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 4:20am
So for some reason I decided this was as good a time as any to attempt historical fiction, a genre which I've never really wanted in these competitions. I just found something in research that I couldn't let go of.  Although I like the idea, I think it may be too much for a five page screenplay. My mantra with these short form comps is stick to two or three characters max... that did not happen this time! 

Anyway, the mix of genres and stories so far is intriguing - can't wait to read them!

Red Army Knife

An army utility knife engraved with a Russian proverb is passed down through generations of a family in Leningrad. How each holder of the knife interprets those words is pivotal to the role they play during three seminal periods of Russian history.

R2 Rhyming Story The Dying of the Light(Sci-Fi)
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 4:33am
I am in two minds about whether to even post this silly bit of fluff. If I do, and I probably will, pull no punches. I need to learn from this one!

Lesson one; don’t go on holiday so you only start it with twelve hours on the clock immediately after a twelve-hour family bus/flight/bus combo.

Ugh.

Omnicia

The prospects for Omnicia, a struggling technology manufacturer, are no laughing matter. Yet.

Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
tedsturge View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote tedsturge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 5:11am
WINTERHAWK
An African-American janitor is faced with a difficult choice when he is commissioned to clean the headquarters
of a local hate group.

A little nervous about this one, as it came pretty down to the wire for me, but I think there's some good stuff in it. Good luck everyone! 
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Feb 2019 at 7:23am
This one was harrrrd. Finally ended up with something I don't completely hate. And the weekend is over now, and I'm really happy about that haha.

Be the Best

A mother and daughter recount the tale of why they created a charity with a multi-tool manufacturer.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 5>