NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Format question - cut to black

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

if it specifically matters to the story you should do it, but yeah, generally territory to avoid unless there's a good reason

It's action cleverly disguised as camera direction.  The only question I still have is whether or not that ends the story, and I'm thinking more and more the FADE OUT becomes CUT TO BLACK. 

If they don't like it they should have given me different prompts.  Big smile

<edit>
s/E TO BLACK/E OUT/g
</edit>

Edited by Random - 15 Apr 2019 at 12:39pm
This sig intentionally blank
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:39pm
Originally posted by cheezopath cheezopath wrote:

if it specifically matters to the story you should do it, but yeah, generally territory to avoid unless there's a good reason

I was just having some fun, take nothing from me seriously, though I had picked that from you during an earlier contest, lol.
cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 12:48pm
oh lol sorry missed that one :)
brain isn't working 100%
I'll be back to my sharp self again once i write....uh....anything!
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2019 at 8:19pm
Agree with the idea of leaving all these directions out unless it's super critical to your 12 page story where you sweat over every single line to make your story as economically told as possible.

You lose quite a bit of space (3 lines, I think), with each of these.

FADE IN: and FADE OUT are the only two transitional/connections I use for these contests. AFAICT, the transitions aren't going to be part of shooting but of post production / editing.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 2:59am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

FADE IN: and FADE OUT are the only two transitional/connections I use for these contests. 

NilesPerry almost has me convinced we don't even need those -- here.  Almost.  It's a damn hard habit to break. Confused
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 3:52am
Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

FADE IN: and FADE OUT are the only two transitional/connections I use for these contests. 

NilesPerry almost has me convinced we don't even need those -- here.  Almost.  It's a damn hard habit to break. Confused

I am using both this time because drama only takes 4 pages to write and I have lots of space to use up.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:38am
Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

WOULDN'T IT BE GREAT IF NYCM HAD A SAMPLE SCRIPT THAT SHOWED WHAT THEY WANTED?

I get dinged on "THE END" no matter if it's there or not. Judges aren't told, it seems, what is needed or not wanted. Put it in, take it out.

Like, just say
For this contest, don't use CUT TO or DISSOLVE TO and so on. Just use FADE IN: at the first page top, left justified, and FADE OUT at last page bottom, right justified. Time can be DAY/NIGHT/CONTINUOUS/DAWN/DUSK. Don't put THE END at the end. Avoid emphasis using bold/italic/underline unless it's vital that the actor know how to interpret/read back the line.

And honestly, if they don't need FADE IN/OUT for these contests, then just tell us! "This is not a shooting script. This is only a spec script. Leave out things that would be useful for shooting.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

cheezopath View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote cheezopath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Apr 2019 at 10:41am
you got dinged for not writing THE END?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12