NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting is HARD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 4:21pm

[/QUOTE]
Salsa is my thing. I grow 3 types of tomatoes and 5 types of peppers (not all hot peppers) to 'brew' my Lobo Salsa

Ooh salsa! I make green tomato chutney with my leftovers at the end of the season, will try salsa this year. I also make plum, rhubarb and chilli jam all from homegrown produce. We should all swap recipes!
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 5:56am
Firstly, kudos to everyone who makes chutney - I do too, but I making hate it - the effort of preparing 1,000 ingredients, the smell of boiling vinegar and the whiff of onions...it always smells of onions even if there aren't any in the recipe!

For anyone biting their nails waiting for THE JUDGEMENT it is now obvious that making preserves is the way to go, it takes hours and demands concentration; if you're making jam or marmalade you might also be researching chants to the ancient Roman household gods of preserving - my favourites are "please set", "why won't you set", "set already, I need to go to bed". :-)

In the meantime, in case anyone in round 2 gets the prompts drama/competition/jam maker - there used to be a national jam-making competition called the "jampionships" - sadly it doesn't run any more, but I loved the name!

Good luck eveyone!

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:07pm
This is easy. This has a deadline and so far, allowing for an hour or two either way, NYMC has never missed a deadline. We know we'll get the results.

Meanwhile I am counting down on some real submissions where in one case, they said they had computer problems and are backlogged (but still that was last June), one that's been since September, and one that is coming up on the sixty days they say is their maximum turnaround time. On the other hand I have something with an anthology where the deadline was in November, and about for days after the editors sent a mass e-mail asking people to PLEASE not ask when they'd know because they had 700 submissions and had only started reading them, so I don't feel like I'm being too impatient. (Those people did reach out again recently to say if we were receiving this e-mail we'd made the cut from the first reads and they were now rereading about 20% of the submissions. Waiting definitely IS easier when you get SOME communication.)

No canning here. I stress bake. Just did no-bake rocky road brownies for my neighbor who plows my driveway. And it's never too early to start practicing for the county fair and I once again have new regular coworkers to use as test subjects. (And ex-coworkers from the defunct park still get together and always like when I have leftovers.) I wonder what wine pairs with brown-butter caramel cake...
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:21pm
Originally posted by jennifer.quail jennifer.quail wrote:

I wonder what wine pairs with brown-butter caramel cake...

Something on the sweeter side.  Semi-sparkling muscat, an American Riesling, maybe (that's a dry wine in Europe, for some reason Americans make it sweeter).  If you like red a pinot noir, or even a good red sangria.

I'd probably open a pinot noir, just to contrast and cut through the caramel.  Too much sweet can be cloying.
This sig intentionally blank
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 2:12pm

This is easy. This has a deadline and so far, allowing for an hour or two, either way, NYMC has never missed a deadline. 

Bwah ha aha ha ha (falling down) omg hahaha laughing so hard can't stop seriously I mean it...  

GASP!

You've only been around for a bit over a year so I don't know how you can say "never".  Granted, in the amount of time you've experienced here, there haven't been any serious lateness issues.  But I'll explain my laughter. NYCM has been as much as 24 hours late.  And then no promises have been made as to when for certain when we'd receive results.  This is despite the fact that we needed to know because the next round started that weekend.  For people, who had to know whether or not to make arrangements to take off work or to have someone help with their children or livestock in case the made it to next round, this has been a real problem.

I do admit that they've gotten considerably better since they've switched from giving out the scores on Tuesdays to Wens.  I don't know why that should make any difference as it gives them less room for error, but it seems to have helped.  

And before everyone panics, treat this like you would if you were a boy scout --  "Be Prepared."  or what I think of in hurricane season - "prepare for the worst, but hope for the best." 

Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 2:25pm
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

And before everyone panics, treat this like you would if you were a boy scout --  "Be Prepared."  or what I think of in hurricane season - "prepare for the worst, but hope for the best." 

So...think about what you do with: Thriller - A used Kleenex - A Wiener Wagon Driver
This sig intentionally blank
jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 10:37pm

This is easy. This has a deadline and so far, allowing for an hour or two, either way, NYMC has never missed a deadline. 

Bwah ha aha ha ha (falling down) omg hahaha laughing so hard can't stop seriously I mean it...  

GASP!

You've only been around for a bit over a year so I don't know how you can say "never".  Granted, in the amount of time you've experienced here, there haven't been any serious lateness issues.  But I'll explain my laughter. NYCM has been as much as 24 hours late. 

LOL, a day? Call me when it's been six months. Or like someone I know got recently, "So we're basically broke and will get back to you if and when we're rolling on this again."  Even FW is more reliable than most semipro markets (they may not pay you, but they do remember their deadlines.) I'm giving one publisher one more cycle of their newsletter and then querying because I do have other places I can shop what they're holding. But it's been eight months. 
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 1:47am

GASP!

You've only been around for a bit over a year so I don't know how you can say "never".  Granted, in the amount of time you've experienced here, there haven't been any serious lateness issues.  But I'll explain my laughter. NYCM has been as much as 24 hours late. 

LOL, a day? Call me when it's been six months. Or like someone I know got recently, "So we're basically broke and will get back to you if and when we're rolling on this again."  Even FW is more reliable than most semipro markets (they may not pay you, but they do remember their deadlines.) I'm giving one publisher one more cycle of their newsletter and then querying because I do have other places I can shop what they're holding. But it's been eight months. 

If you wait 8 months past a deadline before you reshop a piece, you're a fool.  

And if you think not thinking a day isn't late when you have to know whether you have to write that weekend, well, you're more patient than most the folks here -- and I doubt you are.  No, you said they weren't ever late more than an hour or two, and I told you that you were wrong, so you're trying to blow it off.  Whatever.  See the first paragraph I just wrote this go-around.  
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 4:38am

GASP!

If you wait 8 months past a deadline before you reshop a piece, you're a fool.  

And if you think not thinking a day isn't late when you have to know whether you have to write that weekend, well, you're more patient than most the folks here -- and I doubt you are.  No, you said they weren't ever late more than an hour or two, and I told you that you were wrong, so you're trying to blow it off.  Whatever.  See the first paragraph I just wrote this go-around.  

When you add up the years of late announcements on the multiple rounds of each writing comp  offered here, it's kind of  doubly funny.  If you were to look back on the forums a couple of years to see the bets flying on how late the announcement would come, because we ALL knew it was going be late. That was just a given based on past experience.

For like a decade every single announcement came late. Questions and answers if you can get back that far is packed with notes complaining about how work schedules are affected, babysitting, family activities due to upcoming rounds that need to be worked around with every late announcement, like Soot said.  I know I personally lost wages just by virtue of their announcement coming late any time I didn't move on to a next round. There gets to be a fine line at which you can't just say, "Ok, just kidding. I'm taking my shifts back I gave to you, now." 

it's a lot more than just sitting by your inbox waiting for an email saying yes or no you got it. It's been a true inconvenience.

Not only that, but it's just plain disrespectful to the contestants. ESPECIALLY  when no one bothers to send out an email saying the results are going to be late, and you've got 4000 people sitting up waiting.

What Soot's saying about being prepared is not about boning up on genre, it's 'don't count on knowing on time'.  if you need to make those kinds of arrangement, just do it. You might eat it in the end, but at least if you go forward you won't have to scramble.

Although they have been better lately.

Edited by topangarose - 18 Feb 2019 at 4:46pm
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Feb 2019 at 8:37am
A couple years ago, they were late with announcing PROMPTS during Short Story. And they were nice enough to tack it on the end, extending the deadline. And though these things have happened (and they are definitely frustrating and inconvenient), I never feel angry at NYCM the way I feel angry at FW.

At least NYCM isn't petty. They don't say inflammatory things about their paying contestants in the way FW was doing not so long ago.
#amrevising
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345 10>