NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting is HARD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:11pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Your dream is half-prophetic. Judges' feedback for the Short Screenplay Semi-Final round just came in.

I suppose that must count for something!
2019 FFC R1 Who Needs a Wall? (Gr: 35 – PoliSat/A Garbage Dump/A Grill)
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:32pm
Originally posted by SakuraHime SakuraHime wrote:

Your dream is half-prophetic. Judges' feedback for the Short Screenplay Semi-Final round just came in.

Tell me what numbers I should play in the lottery tonight and I'll let you know if it counts! LOL
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:14pm

Tell me what numbers I should play in the lottery tonight and I'll let you know if it counts! LOL

Just be sure to play a slightly different lottery from the one SakuraHime recommends - one with the same acronym but... Wink
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:20pm

I had a dream last night we received our judges' feedback. I was quite aggravated this morning to realize this hadn't actually occurred. LOL

And Lisa kicked butt, again, for anyone who might have had doubts (or don't hang out in bars).
This sig intentionally blank
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:35pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

I had a dream last night we received our judges' feedback. I was quite aggravated this morning to realize this hadn't actually occurred. LOL

And Lisa kicked butt, again, for anyone who might have had doubts (or don't hang out in bars).

You are too kind, Random. Smile

And I'm fully expecting to get my butt kicked this weekend by the mad talent that remains in the comp! Just hoping for an inspiring prompt that lets me produce something I can confidently send out into the world later.

Wild ride this comp - Crime Caper / Drama / Rom Com. Hell of a combination!
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 1:59pm

Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

You are too kind, Random. Smile

And I'm fully expecting to get my butt kicked this weekend by the mad talent that remains in the comp! Just hoping for an inspiring prompt that lets me produce something I can confidently send out into the world later.

Wild ride this comp - Crime Caper / Drama / Rom Com. Hell of a combination!

There is no shortage of Mad Skillz in that round, yours included.  It wasn't an accident that you're a member of that club...hard work pays off.  I'm expecting to see some jaw-dropping entries, and since Less Short Screenplay is starts in April-ish I plan to go to school on all of you before tacking it.
This sig intentionally blank
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 12:13am
5am and I've been woken by by an ancient dog coughing - now that I'm up he's gone back to sleep and is fine!

I'm using my time to read a few more tales, get familiar with different genres and enjoy the beautiful craft of the short story.

But I have a dilemma - I absolutely hate the horror genre, I find it quite repugnant - I've been trying to persuade myself to read some of the horror stories on the forum but I'm always reading late at night, which seems a very bad time to address a horror story!

Any tips on how to overcome this horror-phobia?

This competition has raised the fear that I might have to write a horror story one day - it is my absolute nightmare genre - grrrr!
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Mar 2019 at 2:14am
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

5am and I've been woken by by an ancient dog coughing - now that I'm up he's gone back to sleep and is fine!

I'm using my time to read a few more tales, get familiar with different genres and enjoy the beautiful craft of the short story.

But I have a dilemma - I absolutely hate the horror genre, I find it quite repugnant - I've been trying to persuade myself to read some of the horror stories on the forum but I'm always reading late at night, which seems a very bad time to address a horror story!

Any tips on how to overcome this horror-phobia?

This competition has raised the fear that I might have to write a horror story one day - it is my absolute nightmare genre - grrrr!

Hi Alex (that’s my name also!),

I’m with you 100%. I was terrified when people reviewed my story and I went back to return reviews and they had written horror! Something that helped me is that I had to respond to a horror prompt for a writing class I’m taking.  As I did it, I realized I was in control, not the scary monsters. I’m sure there are lots of excellent horror stories on the forum but one I particularly liked was “Mac, the Knife.” It was really well written and more of a “noir” story than straight up horror, but it wasn’t off-genre. I would recommend it if you are looking for some to read here. (There is another good one I just read but it deals more with the supernatural which freaks me out a bit more.)

Good luck! 

-Alex
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
trish1206 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trish1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Mar 2019 at 8:06pm
Easy.  I joined Short Screenplay and went through three rounds before I was unceremoniously tossed out on my Censored .

Also, I in the process of rehabbing a building in which I am opening a portrait studio, so that does keep me busy.  So busy, I forgot about this contest.  Not getting into screenplay finals HURT, so I guess I just plum forgot about short story, to avoid further pain.

Now that I've remembered, I'm nervous all over again.  More so.

This seems like a bigger interval between rounds than normal.  I wonder if the dates are based on the number of applicants?  Or are the dates selected in advance?

3rd Place Finalist FF2013
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Mar 2019 at 5:31am
For those who we were in this thread earlier, you'll know that I was not worried about the short story competition results because I was preoccupied by anticipating the results of my five entries into the World Marmalade Awards!

I'm please to report my best marmalade results ever with one (seville with peated heather whisky) winning a gold award (20/20 against the marmalade standards) and the other four won silver awards (two scoring 19/20 and two scoring 18/20).

Although the gold award entry was in the top 50 jars in a competition of over 3,000 I am still ambitious to get top 20 place i.e. winning best in category (against other gold award winners) - it's hard to find that elusive X factor which takes a perfect 20/20 marmalade to an exceptional one.

Anyway,now that those results are in I can start fretting about the results of the short story competition :-D

If only my writing was as good as my marmalade!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 45678 10>