NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting is HARD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klieu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 2:52pm
Newbie here. Is anyone kind enough to explain the FW fiasco? What is FW? What led up to the event that has upset their contestants? What was their response? I'm asking out of curiosity, but also because the information might help me decided which contests to avoid.
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:10pm
Originally posted by Klieu Klieu wrote:

Newbie here. Is anyone kind enough to explain the FW fiasco? What is FW? What led up to the event that has upset their contestants? What was their response? I'm asking out of curiosity, but also because the information might help me decided which contests to avoid.

Here is an article about it (from a blog that may help you decide what to avoid):

Edited by thesaura73 - 19 Feb 2019 at 3:10pm
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
Klieu View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klieu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:24pm
Wow! Talk about shady. Thanks for the info. FW definitely seems like one that should be avoided.

Originally posted by thesaura73 thesaura73 wrote:

Here is an article about it (from a blog that may help you decide what to avoid):

Cassalass View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cassalass Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:29pm
Yikes! Thanks for the warning. I'm feeling lucky that NYC is the first  competition I tried.
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Feb 2019 at 3:31pm

Fiction War. They promise publication to the Top 15 but they are about... I think, two years behind at this point with no resolution in sight. They pay their winners UPON PUBLICATION as well, so for many, the prize money has been essentially held hostage by their significant publication delays. I know several writers who were winners and withdrew their stories. Writer Beware issued a warning on this comp last summer.

Sad, really. They've got a really great premise. Horrible follow through.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Holdo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Holdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 6:56pm
Here's a little something to tide you over till April. Sort of a snack-sized NYCM. Three prompts on the first day of every month. 55 hours to write 500 words. No entry fee. $AU500 prize. Based in Australia but open to all.
SSC 2019: R1 R2 R3
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:20pm
Originally posted by Holdo Holdo wrote:

Here's a little something to tide you over till April. Sort of a snack-sized NYCM. Three prompts on the first day of every month. 55 hours to write 500 words. No entry fee. $AU500 prize. Based in Australia but open to all.

Yeah, but they don't speak English in Australia.  Dou we have to put all thouse extra u's everywhere?

Big smile

<sitting on Hay Street Mall in Perth, listening to those ladies talking with Strayan accents...oh.  My.  That was nice.>

...and I signed up because...the first is Friday, even though it's really Thursday.  I have my Domain of the Golden Dragon on the wall behind me, between the Order of the Ditch and Shellback.  If AU wasn't so far away I'd go back and visit.

Edited by Random - 20 Feb 2019 at 7:42pm
This sig intentionally blank
Holdo View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Holdo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Feb 2019 at 7:48pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

Originally posted by Holdo Holdo wrote:

Yeah, but they don't speak English in Australia.  Dou we have to put all thouse extra u's everywhere?

Big smile

As an Aussie, and a grammarian, I am tempted to bite but will desist. Suffice to say all dialects and alternative spellings will be accepted. We actually use a mixture of BRE and AME spellings/usages here, reflecting both our historical obeisance to the "Mother Country" and our cultural cringe towards America. So we spell it 'colour' and 'favourite' and have mobile phones not cells, but we spell it 'program' now instead of 'programme', and we say truck instead of lorry, and so on. I've even seen the ugly and redundant American usage 'off of' start to creep in. And everyone seems to say 'I know, right?' to indicate the smallest of shared experiences. I know, right?!
SSC 2019: R1 R2 R3
SakuraHime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 11:41am
I had a dream last night we received our judges' feedback. I was quite aggravated this morning to realize this hadn't actually occurred. LOL
2019 FFC R1 Who Needs a Wall? (Gr: 35 – PoliSat/A Garbage Dump/A Grill)
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2019 at 12:03pm
Originally posted by SakuraHime SakuraHime wrote:

I had a dream last night we received our judges' feedback. I was quite aggravated this morning to realize this hadn't actually occurred. LOL

Your dream is half-prophetic. Judges' feedback for the Short Screenplay Semi-Final round just came in.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 34567 10>