NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Waiting is HARD

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 3:08am
I might have gone mad with anticipation if it weren't for this forum and the feedback; but I am also a competitive marmalade maker (seriously!) and have a few jars entered in the World Marmalade Awards. Those results are due out in Mid-March so by the time I've finished grumbling about the difference between  judges' definition of "undercooked peel" and mine,  the NYC results will be in.

I can recommend it - both as a distraction and for having something delicious to put on your toast while you wait for the NYC results :-)
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 5:36am
Alex- I would be glad to judge your marmalade - send me a jar!
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 6:50am
Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

Yeah, I never have any trouble finding "reviewers" for my marmalade :-D
beadbalm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beadbalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 8:28am
speaking of marmalade (and some distraction), it reminded me of this article
Apparently, George Orwell was better at writing then making marmalade. 
Alex Grey - how nice to be good at both!
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:29am
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

I might have gone mad with anticipation if it weren't for this forum and the feedback; but I am also a competitive marmalade maker (seriously!) and have a few jars entered in the World Marmalade Awards. Those results are due out in Mid-March so by the time I've finished grumbling about the difference between  judges' definition of "undercooked peel" and mine,  the NYC results will be in.

I can recommend it - both as a distraction and for having something delicious to put on your toast while you wait for the NYC results :-)

See...this.  Exactly.  There is so much experience and skill and idea on this board.  It really doesn't matter what you need to research, someone has a personal perspective on it if you can figure out who to ask and convince them to help you out.

World marmalade awards.  Of course someone is a globally competitive marmalade maker.
This sig intentionally blank
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 10:36am
Originally posted by beadbalm beadbalm wrote:

speaking of marmalade (and some distraction), it reminded me of this article
Apparently, George Orwell was better at writing then making marmalade. 
Alex Grey - how nice to be good at both!

You are kind - I make a decent marmalade but I haven’t won a doubke gold (top if the top) yet so hold the praise for now :-D I have Orwell’s treatise on how to make a proper cup of tea - he must have been an interesting chap :-p
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 11:17am

Originally posted by sootfoot5 sootfoot5 wrote:

Yeah, I never have any trouble finding "reviewers" for my marmalade :-D

I'm sure you don't!  But, as someone who makes jellies and jams as well as pickles, I thought I'd offer.  (completely selfless of me, I assure you! LOL

I have plenty of people willing to judge my pie making skills.  I tell them so long as they wash their own plate and folk -- not that there is any residue left when they are done!  

I imagine we all have skills, hobbies, etc., that keep us busy besides writing.  You are probably one of the few that goes so far as to take your hobby to competition level.  GOOD FOR YOU!  

redhart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 2:54pm

I wish there was a chutney award, I would win a gold medal for a peach chutney I just made! Jams and chutneys and pickles, oh my! They are so satisfying to make. 
NatalieJames View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote NatalieJames Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 3:03pm

I might have gone mad with anticipation if it weren't for this forum and the feedback; but I am also a competitive marmalade maker (seriously!) and have a few jars entered in the World Marmalade Awards. 

I love this so much.
SSC R1G32
My Sisters' Keeper

Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Feb 2019 at 4:06pm
Originally posted by redhart redhart wrote:

I might have gone mad with anticipation if it weren't for this forum and the feedback; but I am also a competitive marmalade maker (seriously!) and have a few jars entered in the World Marmalade Awards.

I wish there was a chutney award, I would win a gold medal for a peach chutney I just made! Jams and chutneys and pickles, oh my! They are so satisfying to make. 

Salsa is my thing. I grow 3 types of tomatoes and 5 types of peppers (not all hot peppers) to 'brew' my Lobo Salsa, but of course that won't help keep me busy this time of the year, so in the meantime there's hockey; I just finished judging several short screenplays for the first round of a women-in-film contest; and I've got a pile of to-be-read books just begging for attention.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 10>