NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Can I Get a Testimony!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 11:50am
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

Apologies and thank you! :-D

The Gushings of a sleep-deprived newbie

I didn’t want to enter,

I thought it was a scam.

I thought they’d steal my entry fee

And then go on the lam

I did a bit of research

I couldn’t let it go

I found it was the real thing

It was time to join the show!.............

Thank you everyone - it's been a blast (so far.....)

Huzzah Alex Grey!

bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 11:52am
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Originally posted by bleustick bleustick wrote:

If you don't write your life story, I will.
Will it be a poem? 'Cause sold, yo.

Seriously though, not a memoir writer. All fiction over here. But plenty of interesting experiences to draw from, so can't complain ^_~.

Not enough rhymes with Bleustick :)

Haha, if you think that's hard, try rhyming with my real name LOL (Genevieve).
FFC: 1 Candy-Coated (Pol-Sat) * 2 Love Beneath (Fantasy)
LaissezFaire View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote LaissezFaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 12:21pm
I was a wreck when I first entered.  What the hell was I doing?  Then I read the stories and I felt I was way out of my league, what the he'll am I doing?    I had a...disappointing... experience with one beta exchange on top of that.   A thread advised to "get in there".  If you want review get reviews.   I read first. Gave my rahrahs.  Then analyzed the critiques I admired.   I had done some beta for people in a small writing group.  Got "red penned" myself (and rightly so) but always with encouragement.  I learned to handle the "no not my baby you fiend!" Feelings :D.   I was verbose; it was true. I learned to self edit better.   I began to offer impressions critiques, then added "hey, I saw this error", then as my writing got better I added my skill strengths (dialogue and my newly honed extraneous word crusher skillz).   All of that helped me to take risks in my writing, especially reading outside my favorite genres to write.   I gained confidence with the camaraderie in the "forum workshop".  Giving feedback is no longer terrifying.  I have been lowdown and high up.  I have felt an imposter.  I have taken kind words and wrapped myself in them. Last year I stoppedwritinga andm missed a lot of Opportunities

Reading makes you a better writer and, so too, the more you beta the better you write.  Helping others helps yourself. 

beadbalm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote beadbalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 12:22pm
These stories (and poem) are amazing! Thank you all for opening yourselves up and sharing your writer's heart. Knowing more about you just adds to the wonderful work I have seen you all write!

I wrote for me mostly until kids - stashing poems in a file folder, journals with stories and snippets. A professor entered one of my stories in a contest without my knowledge in college. When I got 3rd, he also didn't tell me that until I showed up late to my very last class, mad I hadn't been there for the surprise presentation. Ugh.

I have two children on the spectrum and work full time, so for many years there was nothing but trying to find a quiet time to sleep. (And beading to keep my hands busy while people were talking to me - now I can't find who else it was that did that! Sorry for not connecting with you!).

So during the last FF challenge, on a whim, I wrote my first story since that one in college.
It was so liberating! I am doing something that does not have to do with counselor's appointments, social groups, med refills, action plans, teacher meetings, or other day to day life stuff that is fulfilling and useful (and beautiful), but not personal.

So thank you to this group that gives us the chance to be more of who we are. Authentically. Thank you all for the support and candid moments too. This really is a very special place!
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 12:34pm

Seriously though, not a memoir writer. All fiction over here. But plenty of interesting experiences to draw from, so can't complain ^_~.

There once was a woman called Genny
Whose life was more hectic than many,
But when it was time 
To recant it in rhyme,
It soon became clear that wouldn't work.

Edited by Tim G - 08 Feb 2019 at 12:35pm
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 1:00pm

But when it was time 
To recant it in rhyme,

SOMEONE GIVE THE GUY A BOOK DEAL
SakuraHime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 4:24pm
I'll start by saying I love this thread SO much! Thanks for putting this out there!

I entered this competition the first time in 2017. I had been writing casually for about 20 years, had been the president of my high school's creative writing club, vice-president and most published student for our literary magazine, and a journalist and editor for a local craft beer magazine. Beyond that, I'd never really shared my work and I struggled with "imposter's syndrome" on a regular basis.

When I entered, and advanced to the second round, I was shocked, but infused with the confidence I needed to start thinking about really doing something with my writing. It sparked my creativity and reminded me of the passion I held for storytelling.

More than that, the forums themselves were a catalyst to trusting other people with my words. The writers here welcomed me as if I belonged. I was given the opportunity to join a couple of groups, one of which is a constant source of inspiration and camaraderie. The support I've gotten is the only reason I'm starting my novel and seeking other publications. The writers I've been lucky enough to interact with have given me so much, from feedback to help me improve my craft to support and compassion that keeps me moving forward.

My life is truly better because of this competition and these forums. I get to read works by some of the most talented, determined, and passionate men and women I've ever known. Reading other pieces gives light to my own ideas and reminds me of what a beautifully written work looks like, sounds like, feels like. Sharing my work allows me to grow as a writer and overcome the fear that I don't deserve to write. This forum gives me courage, and for that I am forever grateful.
2019 FFC R1 Who Needs a Wall? (Gr: 35 – PoliSat/A Garbage Dump/A Grill)
Lord Xoon View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Lord Xoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:14pm
I just haven't had much motivation to write lately. For the past year or so, if it wasn't for these competitions, I wouldn't be writing anything. So, I don't know about measuring success, but it's literally the only new writing I've been doing until I can snap out of this funk, so that's a plus.
bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

But when it was time 
To recant it in rhyme,

SOMEONE GIVE THE GUY A BOOK DEAL

Right? You are a marvel, Tim Clap.
FFC: 1 Candy-Coated (Pol-Sat) * 2 Love Beneath (Fantasy)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:59pm
Originally posted by Lord Xoon Lord Xoon wrote:

I just haven't had much motivation to write lately. For the past year or so, if it wasn't for these competitions, I wouldn't be writing anything. So, I don't know about measuring success, but it's literally the only new writing I've been doing until I can snap out of this funk, so that's a plus.

I feel your pain.
As I shared in a pre-submission thread, I was diagnosed with breast cancer last spring and all motivation to write withered away. If I tried to write, I stared at the blinking cursor until a new question about my treatment needed my attention and I dived down a research wormhole. In an attempt to kickstart my words, I signed up for the November novel writing event and wrote a sentence...in a month.
For me, just completing a short story and submitting it was an important step toward rediscovering my writing mojo.

Edited by LoboGal26 - 08 Feb 2019 at 8:01pm
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456>