NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:29am
Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

So please. PLEASE. Don't be afraid. Speak your piece whenever you chose. Wherever you chose.

My opinion is a bit like a spinless neutrino(1) - it doesn't actually interact with much; sort of a cosmic non-event.  Add that sage advice; we are the master of our thoughts and a slave to our words, and I try to keep my peace to myself.

(1): I used to work at Fermilab under Lederman.  Wired the last two Tevatron magnets into the loop, in fact, so don't cast disparaging remarks because I have Truth and Beauty, or harass my Muons.  From the Top to the Bottom I am both Charming and Strange. 
This sig intentionally blank
Thesula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thesula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 4:43pm
Originally posted by sslubliner sslubliner wrote:

The nature of the competition makes me hesitant to write detailed critiques. Given the requirements and the time constraints, we all basically got dressed in a hurry in the dark and put our makeup on in the car (or whatever the male equivalent of that is). So when we post our stories and say, "How do I look," unless somebody's creative fly is open, it's hard not to just smile and say "Fine, you might just want to fix your tie, though" (or whatever the female equivalent of that is).

I love this! I agree 100%. Especially since many of us are assigned genres that we're not comfortable or even familiar with.
SSC 2019 R1 Romantic Comedy Manhattan Syndrome
SSC 2017 R2 Historical Fiction The Debt
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Thesula Thesula wrote:

Originally posted by sslubliner sslubliner wrote:

The nature of the competition makes me hesitant to write detailed critiques. Given the requirements and the time constraints, we all basically got dressed in a hurry in the dark and put our makeup on in the car (or whatever the male equivalent of that is). So when we post our stories and say, "How do I look," unless somebody's creative fly is open, it's hard not to just smile and say "Fine, you might just want to fix your tie, though" (or whatever the female equivalent of that is).

I love this! I agree 100%. Especially since many of us are assigned genres that we're not comfortable or even familiar with.

But for me that’s the point of entering. It’s to *try the thing* and then have a pool of readers tell me - hey, this worked, and this didn’t. Prompted competitions offer us the opportunity to stretch outside our comfort zones. There’s no way I’d ever have written an A/A, or a PolSat outside this comp. And yet, I learned a lot trying and getting peer review. 

It’s been said a bunch of times before, but bears reiterating, this is the cheapest writers’ workshop out there. 

Granted, harping on a single typo probably isn’t helpful, but a detailed critique that offers illumination on what we’ve done well & what we should work on is what many of us are hoping to get out of the forums. 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 15 Feb 2019 at 7:23pm
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:16am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

But for me that’s the point of entering. It’s to *try the thing* and then have a pool of readers tell me - hey, this worked, and this didn’t. Prompted competitions offer us the opportunity to stretch outside our comfort zones. There’s no way I’d ever have written an A/A, or a PolSat outside this comp. And yet, I learned a lot trying and getting peer review. 

It’s been said a bunch of times before, but bears reiterating, this is the cheapest writers’ workshop out there.

My thoughts exactly.  I gain so much, not just by reading what others think of my stories and their suggestions, but by also reading the stories others have written and giving my thoughts on them.  I learn a lot just by thinking about the other stories on here.

I like to think I'm squeezing as much value as I can out of this competition.  
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 161718