NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:42am
There is no closing of threads unless the owner of the thread removes it. Who said it's closed?

Why would any thread be closed?

I want my $55 bucks worth, Damn it!

Edited by topangarose - 10 Feb 2019 at 1:45am
nickofnight View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote nickofnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:43am
Originally posted by <strong>orion323 orion323 wrote:

This is a $55 writing contest.  Not a Pulitzer Prize final round.  Your odds can equally grant you Romance-Dancing-Chocolates as they would Spy-Ass boil lancing-tampon dispenser.

Ease up with the hierarchy and pretension.  Studies are now showing that success in life is more determined by luck than skill.  The best writers I've ever known were homeless and they wrote because it was something they needed to do.  

There's a bit of luck, but a good writer is usually getting through, regardless. To suggest that success, especially in writing, is based off luck is so dismissive of all the hard work and dedication that most successful writers put in. I know a bunch of self pubbing writers who release books every month or every other month. There's no luck. They practiced, they researched, and they worked hard.  New writers here that don't do well this year -- work hard on your writing this year and you'll do much better next time. 

Edited by nickofnight - 10 Feb 2019 at 1:46am
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:44am
Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

There is no closing of threads unless the owner of the thread removes it. Who said it's closed?

There had been multiple requests to let this one be done - but I am curious about your statement as I am not aware of any way that a thread can be removed other than by a forum admin...?
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:51am

Well, I thought you could by deleting the original/Master post, but why would anyone want to censor if people still want to comment? Just wondering. People come to posts at all different times. Really not fair to say the early birds get to talk and later viewers don't.
Noel Alcoba View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Noel Alcoba Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:57am
I'm no expert on the forum rules, but I wouldn't want this particular thread closed. Conversation begets conversation, it's the nature of language. Some people reading this to this point may want to chime in (or anonymous lurkers might want to binge this and see the next episode).  We're writers, and we always have an urge to say something. Now, unless this topic is specifically abusing someone by name, or if it is in clear violation of the rules, then close it.  But there's always the option to not participate.  I'm not trying to be a jerk here, saying 'buck up', or 'if you don't like it get out'.  What I am saying is that the discussion has evolved and has birthed some interesting offshoot topics that others might have questions and/or opinions about. It could also connect some commenters, through PM, should they wish to take any particular tangent private.

Not speaking personally here, but I'm pretty sure this thread has already been an encouragement to people who might have been too shy to say anything. It could be the confirmation they need to know they're not the only ones that wanted to say this or that.

R1 Rhyme G48 Side-Kicked
R1 100 G59 Ripples 11th
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 1:57am

Well, I thought you could by deleting the original/Master post, but why would anyone want to censor if people still want to comment? Just wondering. People come to posts at all different times. Really not fair to say the early birds get to talk and later viewers don't.

The conversation veered very far from the OPs purpose, and became occasionally uncivil.  Around here, at least, the only time I have seen folks try to close a thread was to prevent someone from reviving toxic side convos. 

I've never known it to be possible for anyone in these forums to be able to *delete a thread.  At most, we've been able to edit our own posts to remove the content within them.  If there is a way to delete them, i would love to know it!
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 2:10am
Well, since it isn't possible to delete a thread, then why even discuss it?  It simply can't be done, right?  When people want to quit talking about this, they will quit talking about it.   

Nor should we delete a thread even if we could.  When speech becomes stifled in this matter, then things don't die off naturally.  When a conversation like this is forced to end, people think there is something to hide.  

People who are offended won't read it. Soon the thread will sink to the bottom.  When it is meant to die it will.  In the meantime, people should not be discouraged from speaking if that is what they want to do.  
RichmondRoad View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote RichmondRoad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 6:09am
At last count there were about 172,500 words in the English language. If we are all to continue the pretence that we are ‘writers’ then we might have to accept some responsibility as custodians of those words.
So we might have to stop wasting them on bullsh*t threads like this one.
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 11:33am
Originally posted by RichmondRoad RichmondRoad wrote:

........If we are all to continue the pretence that we are ‘writers’ then we might have to accept some responsibility as custodians of those words.
So we might have to stop wasting them on bullsh*t threads like this one.

True RichmondRoad, but it afforded  you a last chance to have a say as it should for others without a person or group being the unofficial arbiters of when everyone else has to shut up. So the thread took a left turn... it does sometimes.  It did that because people still have something to say. That's the nature of free speech. Just sayin'.

Editing in: I know I had my own opinion at the beginning of this thread, but from reading all the viewpoints, it's changed immeasurably, to take in many more views, so I for one am still interested if there's more to say out there. One can always disengage. Free world and all. (Mostly)

Edited by topangarose - 10 Feb 2019 at 11:55am
nixie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote nixie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 12:59pm

That's the nature of free speech. Just sayin'.

Actually, the "nature of free speech" is explicitly governmental. :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 1314151617 18>