NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Victimized by a Nasty Drive-by Review? Take Heart.
    Posted: 17 Feb 2019 at 12:16am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

But for me that’s the point of entering. It’s to *try the thing* and then have a pool of readers tell me - hey, this worked, and this didn’t. Prompted competitions offer us the opportunity to stretch outside our comfort zones. There’s no way I’d ever have written an A/A, or a PolSat outside this comp. And yet, I learned a lot trying and getting peer review. 

It’s been said a bunch of times before, but bears reiterating, this is the cheapest writers’ workshop out there.

My thoughts exactly.  I gain so much, not just by reading what others think of my stories and their suggestions, but by also reading the stories others have written and giving my thoughts on them.  I learn a lot just by thinking about the other stories on here.

I like to think I'm squeezing as much value as I can out of this competition.  
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 7:21pm
Originally posted by Thesula Thesula wrote:

Originally posted by sslubliner sslubliner wrote:

The nature of the competition makes me hesitant to write detailed critiques. Given the requirements and the time constraints, we all basically got dressed in a hurry in the dark and put our makeup on in the car (or whatever the male equivalent of that is). So when we post our stories and say, "How do I look," unless somebody's creative fly is open, it's hard not to just smile and say "Fine, you might just want to fix your tie, though" (or whatever the female equivalent of that is).

I love this! I agree 100%. Especially since many of us are assigned genres that we're not comfortable or even familiar with.

But for me that’s the point of entering. It’s to *try the thing* and then have a pool of readers tell me - hey, this worked, and this didn’t. Prompted competitions offer us the opportunity to stretch outside our comfort zones. There’s no way I’d ever have written an A/A, or a PolSat outside this comp. And yet, I learned a lot trying and getting peer review. 

It’s been said a bunch of times before, but bears reiterating, this is the cheapest writers’ workshop out there. 

Granted, harping on a single typo probably isn’t helpful, but a detailed critique that offers illumination on what we’ve done well & what we should work on is what many of us are hoping to get out of the forums. 

Edited by nod1v1ng - 15 Feb 2019 at 7:23pm
Thesula View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Thesula Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Feb 2019 at 4:43pm

The nature of the competition makes me hesitant to write detailed critiques. Given the requirements and the time constraints, we all basically got dressed in a hurry in the dark and put our makeup on in the car (or whatever the male equivalent of that is). So when we post our stories and say, "How do I look," unless somebody's creative fly is open, it's hard not to just smile and say "Fine, you might just want to fix your tie, though" (or whatever the female equivalent of that is).

I love this! I agree 100%. Especially since many of us are assigned genres that we're not comfortable or even familiar with.
SSC 2019 R1 Romantic Comedy Manhattan Syndrome
SSC 2017 R2 Historical Fiction The Debt
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 8:29am
Originally posted by topangarose topangarose wrote:

So please. PLEASE. Don't be afraid. Speak your piece whenever you chose. Wherever you chose.

My opinion is a bit like a spinless neutrino(1) - it doesn't actually interact with much; sort of a cosmic non-event.  Add that sage advice; we are the master of our thoughts and a slave to our words, and I try to keep my peace to myself.

(1): I used to work at Fermilab under Lederman.  Wired the last two Tevatron magnets into the loop, in fact, so don't cast disparaging remarks because I have Truth and Beauty, or harass my Muons.  From the Top to the Bottom I am both Charming and Strange. 
This sig intentionally blank
JingleBells View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote JingleBells Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 2:35am
Thumbs Up

topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 1:58am

Blame is for suckers.

Forgiveness is the key.

And Soot,
You pretty much nut-shelled my whole point,
but then, you have always had the ability to hone into few words
what it takes me 500 to say.
So Bravo!

sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2019 at 12:29am

Blame me if you must.  

But you, Tops, make me want to ask one quick question -- are you saying that this forum has a semblance toward REAL LIFE - (gasp!) in that we should let people have their turn to speak, treat people with respect, and treat people how we want to be treated stuff and all that jazz?  You know, the stuff we learned in Kindergarten, that sort of thing?  

For the record, only one person wrote to me, but his message was a dandy!  blowing a kiss to you dawlin!  You know who you are!  
topangarose View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (5) Thanks(5)   Quote topangarose Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 8:56pm
Well Sooty, I hope you brought some tombstones and a shovel.

At the risk of garnering more ire, by opening this up again...  I feel the necessity to come back here to address a landslide of private messages, instead of just firmly walking away.

It seems that now, there are many people who fear the idea that there might be some kind of 'subterranean group' prowling the hallowed halls of the forum prepared to pounce if their 'groupspeak' isn't adhered to. The result of this has a host of writers afraid to come back to the forums to speak at all. I can say that with some authority as my inbox just closed up on me.

What I can say to you all as a group is that to the best of my knowledge (and I've been here a long time) is that if you pull back the green curtain, you'll find nothing there, despite certain claims that seem to have inferred otherwise.
As it should be.

So please. PLEASE. Don't be afraid. Speak your piece whenever you chose. Wherever you chose.

Nobody here owns the conscience of this forum.  The conscience exists in a "we" not a "they". There will always be people who disagree with us, and people who agree with us as well, even if we don't know they're there.

There will always be 'groups' that think alike, that either agree or disagree too... but that doesn't make any of us unequal. Being in a collective that agrees can sometimes morph into thinking that the group should prevail over all.  I've been part of that myself, at times and mostly I've regretted it later, though not always.

Basically what I'm trying to say is that whatever the feedback or the kickback, or the blow-back, whatever your perception, even if it be correct... don't let it silence you. Don't let your fear of anyone's opinion keep you from speaking out, no matter how belligerent or even offensive they might be, or allow yourself to be bullied into submission. We can often agree to disagree at the very least.

None of us needs anyone's approval, even though sometimes it feels nice. Even if no one agrees with you at all it doesn't make you any less valuable to the group as a functioning unit, it just makes you even more unique. And deep down, whether we admit it or not, we all love unicorns! They make us question our own perceptions of reality.

If we can't be true to ourselves, we're missing a big happy chunk of this crazy thing we call life. So kick your fear in the *ss and

BE BRAVE! BE KIND! And may peace prevail.

Thank you, and goodnight.

(Steps down from soap box)

Edited by topangarose - 14 Feb 2019 at 1:51am
sootfoot5 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote sootfoot5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:41pm
Wow, did I miss a lot yesterday! 

@orion-love it when you talk so purdy but in the US the constitution granted the free speech status and the Courts interpret the limitations of it. While they are a branch of the government, they are not the government as a whole, just as our, ah-hem, “executive-in-chief” is not the entire government (despite what he might think)

@jingle bells- would love 💕 to know more Australia’s individual rights-can you send me a PM that sets me in the right direction?

@sslubliner- I think with women the equivalent to check your tie might be check your lipstick 💄 especially since many women tend to wear it on their teeth. 

We probably didn’t need this post, but darn it y’all had so much fun without me yesterday that I just had to chime in. 
redhart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote redhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Feb 2019 at 10:14pm

LOLLOLLOLLOL
Love this, very well said! Sums up this competition perfectly (in my humble opinion). And applies even more so for the flash fiction comp.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 18>