NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Crass commercial plug--first production

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Crass commercial plug--first production
    Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 12:58pm
My first short script is being shot later this month, and I'm co-producing another short with the same director next month in what can only be described as an "it made perfect sense at the time" example of ambition. 

We have most of the funding we need. Two-thirds or so. Like, enough to do principal photography and actually pay the cast in addition to the crew. But as some of you know, that's not all a movie, even a short, needs. Post-production, production insurance/workman's comp (at least one of the shorts is SAG/AFTRA, and the other one will be too if we can swing it), and festival submissions... goodness it adds up.

Sooo if anyone wants to go look up "Past Partum" or "Clown College" on IndieGoGo, you can treat yourself to the sight of me and my director friend Wendy asking very nicely indeed for money. And all the perks involving things like your name being in the credits or preview screener links apply to BOTH. Think of it as a 2 for 1 sale. Big smile
MissKeister View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote MissKeister Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 4:55pm
I will definitely check that out -- I have been very curious about "Past Partum" and am so thrilled for you!  Congrats on TWO pieces going into production -- I hope it's all an incredible experience (and an open door for more of your writing to be brought to life)  :)
Janetinputney View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Janetinputney Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:49pm
How exciting!  Good luck with it!!!!   I love the synopsis for Past Partum... sounds like a feature in the making.  

Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 7:55am
This is amazing! I'll check these out... Clap
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2019 at 11:32am
This is awesome, congratulations! I've been looking into crowdfunding to produce one of my short scripts, and think I'm leaning towards Seed & Spark, curious if you guys checked that one out. It seems to be really arts-focused, so I thought it might be a good platform.
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:46am
Originally posted by Joni Joni wrote:

This is awesome, congratulations! I've been looking into crowdfunding to produce one of my short scripts, and think I'm leaning towards Seed & Spark, curious if you guys checked that one out. It seems to be really arts-focused, so I thought it might be a good platform.

I have good friends who have used Seed and Spark. I can ask them how they liked it. 

We went with IndieGoGo because it's the platform the director knows best, I think. 

I am now becoming acquainted with the perils of producing. The director, who thinks of herself first as an actor, wanted to go SAG/AFTRA both on principle and because she had someone in mind for the hardest role--the great-grandmother doing life w/o parole--who's a guild member.

And then she found out they changed the short film/project agreement in August to require a whooole bunch of new stuff.  Some we improvised for, but it looks as though I need to run actual payroll through a third-party company instead of doing 1099s. For a four-day shoot. 

I understand the idea of protecting actors from fly-by-night producers, but scaring away people from doing shorts with SAG members isn't exactly doing their membership a favor either.
Joni View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Joni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:47am
Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

I have good friends who have used Seed and Spark. I can ask them how they liked it. 

We went with IndieGoGo because it's the platform the director knows best, I think. 

I am now becoming acquainted with the perils of producing. The director, who thinks of herself first as an actor, wanted to go SAG/AFTRA both on principle and because she had someone in mind for the hardest role--the great-grandmother doing life w/o parole--who's a guild member.

And then she found out they changed the short film/project agreement in August to require a whooole bunch of new stuff.  Some we improvised for, but it looks as though I need to run actual payroll through a third-party company instead of doing 1099s. For a four-day shoot. 

I understand the idea of protecting actors from fly-by-night producers, but scaring away people from doing shorts with SAG members isn't exactly doing their membership a favor either.

Wow, I never would have guessed it would be so much red tape. That must explain why almost all the short casting calls I see in my area require non-union even if they're paid. I bet they can do 1099s in that case and make it much more simple (and more affordable, since obviously an outside payroll company has to be paid too). Looks like I've got a lot more research to do before pursuing filming mine. 
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 9:54am

Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

Wow, I never would have guessed it would be so much red tape. That must explain why almost all the short casting calls I see in my area require non-union even if they're paid. I bet they can do 1099s in that case and make it much more simple (and more affordable, since obviously an outside payroll company has to be paid too). Looks like I've got a lot more research to do before pursuing filming mine. 

Yeah, there's a weird double-bind here. We could go deferred payment by SAG rules--and since shorts never make money that means not paying them really--but it would be easier to pay them in production if it wasn't union.
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:18pm
First, congrats, and I hope you get fully funded!

And I admire your commitment to paying your creatives and your talent. Super big win for me--both my kids are in the creative arts (animation, music) and getting paid is a big part of what keeps them from being just starving artists.

Offline or in another thread I'd be curious about your experiences and your learnings here about getting into production work that also aligns with industry standards and requirements.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2019 at 12:23pm
I would be happy to share things as I learn them! Or after smelling salts are applied, in some cases.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>