NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  New Posts New Posts RSS Feed - Hey, Newbies: Don't be afraid to critique(or post)
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hey, Newbies: Don't be afraid to critique(or post)

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
LaissezFaire View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LaissezFaire Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hey, Newbies: Don't be afraid to critique(or post)
    Posted: 08 Feb 2019 at 7:19am
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

We don't win anything in this life if we spend it in cutting others down. Trust me in this. The sages and philosophers and teachers and priests and imams and rabbis are right: Love always wins. Be kind to your fellow writers. They are more than their prose, and they are unique creations of this universe--you will never meet them again if you let them go.

Do writers do terrible jobs and submit awkward stuff? Sure. We all do. My first attempts here were terrible. But these fantastic people saw some good in them, showed me how to fix my inchoate development, and I'm getting better. None of them had to yell at me or shame me or tell me "You are not a good writer."

And more than anyone, writers know that words have power.

I hope it is also  clear, too, that short " I loved it" reviews have value all their own.   I think many of us have taken those under our pillows to help us through or to just peek at for a bit of glee.  We all need a rahrah Beer 
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 2:42pm
Such good thoughts and ideas from all of you!

I like the way the methodology of giving the feedback is presented.

For myself, I've weathered many a storm of criticism, and it's very hard to say or do anything that gets to me--the intent is often there, but the impact doesn't occur.

HOWEVER, that doesn't mean I think it's acceptable in a public forum to dump on a writer. I've always operated under the idea that we praise in public and correct in private. I do that in business and in my family, and I do it here. (I don't think I've ever had to "correct" anyone, of course.)

We don't win anything in this life if we spend it in cutting others down. Trust me in this. The sages and philosophers and teachers and priests and imams and rabbis are right: Love always wins. Be kind to your fellow writers. They are more than their prose, and they are unique creations of this universe--you will never meet them again if you let them go.

Do writers do terrible jobs and submit awkward stuff? Sure. We all do. My first attempts here were terrible. But these fantastic people saw some good in them, showed me how to fix my inchoate development, and I'm getting better. None of them had to yell at me or shame me or tell me "You are not a good writer."

If you do feel the need to do a deeper analysis and do the work to show someone where they could make massive improvements--there's always the PM system where you can ask the writer "Do you want my more thorough feedback?"

It's just not cool to eviscerate someone in public and say something like "You'll thank me for this later."
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 2:25pm
I still feel like it is up to the recipient to realize getting "no positive feedback" doesn't necessarily mean a negative review (I say that as someone who tries to put a positive in every review)….And "I didn't like your story" is an opinion. I would rather not direct people on how to review because then I may be missing feedback I need (that's why I put "all feedback welcome" on my stories).
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
PrestonLeytonNelson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote PrestonLeytonNelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:38pm
Originally posted by fioOxf fioOxf wrote:

Originally posted by SakuraHime SakuraHime wrote:

I think that some of the negative feedback that's getting discussed is when someone comments without any positive feedback at all. I don't think the issue (at least in my mind) is relegated specifically to grammar/spelling, and I don't think most people find constructive feedback to be negative. There are some writers whose comments amount to little more than "I didn't like your story because...." 

That's where the concern for negativity is relevant, I think.

Exactly.

Agreed here--I haven't been on the receiving end of any feedback I've perceived as hurtful, but I also have somewhat thick skin but am super cognizant that not everyone does, especially when it comes to something so personal as our own writing.

I think the reminder here is a good one--obviously no one likes malicious/mean feedback, but more than that, our intended tone doesn't always translate over text, so we should be careful not to write reviews that can be misconstrued as hurtful or malicious, when what we want to do is encourage/help.
Short Story - R2 GR31 (Ghost) - Awakening Your Death's Purpose

FFC 2018 - The Date - 1st Place
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:15pm
Originally posted by Aranea Aranea wrote:

I do have one question. How long do reviews typically remain active after each round? At what point is it "too late" to leave a review and potentially get one in return? 

Usually the first 2 weeks there's a flurry and then forum activity dies down... However, a lot of folks might notice a new review over the following weeks and try to reciprocate while awaiting the next round.

Then there's an upswing in forum activity when judges' feedback arrives, then scores. You won't see much activity at all on round 1 stories once round 2 begins.
Aranea View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Aranea Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 1:03pm
Thank you for this thread! I'm a newbie and just wrapping my head around how things work in the forum, the etiquette, etc. I'm starting to feel ready to leave reviews at last. 

I do have one question. How long do reviews typically remain active after each round? At what point is it "too late" to leave a review and potentially get one in return? 

Edited by Aranea - 06 Feb 2019 at 1:03pm
R1 Screenplay: "Whispers in the Dark"
Eggcorn View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eggcorn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Feb 2019 at 11:58am
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

All well and fine, but the way my mind works, I focus on the technical aspects because I have a harder time grasping reading comprehension. In my critique group that my friend runs, she says, "Offer whatever sort of critique your mind is geared to. All the different angles are helpful." 

Oh, that's such a great way of putting it. I usually just put I want honest and if you have the time, detailed, feedback. But this makes sense too.

fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 2:08pm
Originally posted by SakuraHime SakuraHime wrote:

I think that some of the negative feedback that's getting discussed is when someone comments without any positive feedback at all. I don't think the issue (at least in my mind) is relegated specifically to grammar/spelling, and I don't think most people find constructive feedback to be negative. There are some writers whose comments amount to little more than "I didn't like your story because...." 

Exactly.
SakuraHime View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote SakuraHime Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 1:37pm

2019 FFC R1 Who Needs a Wall? (Gr: 35 – PoliSat/A Garbage Dump/A Grill)
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2019 at 1:18pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

I've been around NYCM and the forum for about a year now, and I know there've been some bad seeds. But are there really people out there leaving intentionally rude and hurtful critiques to stories? I haven't personally had THAT kind of experience in reviewing, and I would really hope that common sense would steer everyone away from leaving that sort of feedback - especially when they're looking to get some FB in return - but the amount of times it's being repeated NOT to do that has me worried.

I know, right? What if everyone's talking about me?!?! Dead

Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

It was good advice to put in your post the type of crit you're looking for. Some might be newer to writing, and need those grammar tips, but not everyone is looking for spelling and grammar critique. Some want more an opinion on whether the plot worked, or how a character came across. Some maybe just want to try sharing something they created and aren't looking for much critique on the story at all at this point.

All well and fine, but the way my mind works, I focus on the technical aspects because I have a harder time grasping reading comprehension. In my critique group that my friend runs, she says, "Offer whatever sort of critique your mind is geared to. All the different angles are helpful." 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 4>