NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introvert vs Extrovert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:37pm
I'm an INFJ

In my day job I design and deliver training courses, including training on public speaking - I love it and am full of energy in the training room but that energy is drawn from a deep well and I need a fair amount of alone time (or time with my dogs) in order to re-charge my batteries.

I don't do small talk, yet I'll chatter away on a forum with abandon - funny old personality type really :-)
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:39pm
Originally posted by Alex Grey Alex Grey wrote:

I'm an INFJ

In my day job I design and deliver training courses, including training on public speaking - I love it and am full of energy in the training room but that energy is drawn from a deep well and I need a fair amount of alone time (or time with my dogs) in order to re-charge my batteries.

I don't do small talk, yet I'll chatter away on a forum with abandon - funny old personality type really :-)

We could be twins. I'm also in charge of training and HR for an organization of six restaurants, and I love conducting classes and training sessions. But I definitely require a full day per week at home alone to keep my energy reserves up. My husband and I are not allowed to have the same days off work in the week.
Alex Grey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Alex Grey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 4:42pm
Originally posted by chrissie0707 chrissie0707 wrote:

I'm an INFJ

We could be twins. I'm also in charge of training and HR for an organization of six restaurants, and I love conducting classes and training sessions. But I definitely require a full day per week at home alone to keep my energy reserves up. My husband and I are not allowed to have the same days off work in the week.

:-D

Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:31pm

I'm an INFJ

On a social scale of 1-10 my wife is a 14.  I'll come home mostly dead and she'll follow me around the house, regaling me with every detail of her day.  It's times like that I regret not keeping 5mg of haldol handy.
This sig intentionally blank
Lookit There View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lookit There Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:37pm
People always assume I'm an extrovert, but in fact I am a very extroverted INTROVERT.
Those who know me well know that I am loud on the outside, but really quiet and thoughtful and internal. I do not open up to just anyone. I'll give you any fact about me you want to know, but you won't know my heart, my dreams, unless you have gained my trust - which takes a very long time.
I have a great sense of humor and love to laugh; but, equally, my humor is a glib way to keep others at a distance. My insecurities are legion, but you'd never know it. To the casual observer, I'm just that funny guy with great shoes who says f**k a lot (A LOT).
I post my stories not primarily for the praise (which is nice, but often embarrasses me), but to learn and grow, and to hopefully give myself the courage to actually submit my work. I mean I do, some, but not often enough; each rejection is a crushing blow to my fragile ego, and it takes me a lot of effort and time to send it on to the next publication.
And you can't imagine the trembling hands and sweaty brow just posting all of this has caused.

NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:39pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

I'm an INFJ

On a social scale of 1-10 my wife is a 14.  I'll come home mostly dead and she'll follow me around the house, regaling me with every detail of her day.  It's times like that I regret not keeping 5mg of haldol handy.

I literally have to stop my husband mid-jibber jabber almost nightly with a "dude, you're about to make my head explode. Take it down a notch. Or go stand outside for ten minutes."
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:42pm
Extroverted introvert here, too. INFJ so a unicorn like many of you. 

I'm as extroverted as I need to be for business purposes, can hold my own at a cocktail party, and have a wacky and warped sense of humor. But very few people *really* know me; trust takes a long time to build.

Oh, to have a blanket and a good book. Bliss.
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:43pm
Originally posted by Lookit There Lookit There wrote:

People always assume I'm an extrovert, but in fact I am a very extroverted INTROVERT.
Those who know me well know that I am loud on the outside, but really quiet and thoughtful and internal. I do not open up to just anyone. I'll give you any fact about me you want to know, but you won't know my heart, my dreams, unless you have gained my trust - which takes a very long time.
I have a great sense of humor and love to laugh; but, equally, my humor is a glib way to keep others at a distance. My insecurities are legion, but you'd never know it. To the casual observer, I'm just that funny guy with great shoes who says f**k a lot (A LOT).
I post my stories not primarily for the praise (which is nice, but often embarrasses me), but to learn and grow, and to hopefully give myself the courage to actually submit my work. I mean I do, some, but not often enough; each rejection is a crushing blow to my fragile ego, and it takes me a lot of effort and time to send it on to the next publication.
And you can't imagine the trembling hands and sweaty brow just posting all of this has caused.

I have a feeling you're a fellow INFJ? I feel you, on all these points. And having read some of your work through these comps, I fully support you submitting stories. I myself have not managed to work up the courage to get that far yet.

I can imagine, to the degree each post in these forums has been difficult for me, and I'm glad you jumped onto the thread.   
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:45pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

I'm as extroverted as I need to be for business purposes, can hold my own at a cocktail party, and have a wacky and warped sense of humor. But very few people *really* know me; trust takes a long time to build.

Not gonna lie - I literally thought to myself when I was typing that line wondering about the unicorn population, "I bet Lisa's an INFJ."   
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 5:52pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

Not completely sure what an INFJ is, but I'm a Lisa :) I regularly stand in front of 300+ people holding a cauliflower as an 'entertaining' substitute for a human brain, and getting them to inspire me with their ideas (it's supposed to work the other way round, by hey...) but when I'm not in a different country doing that, I'd rather be at home or maybe at the cinema. The other part of my job happens in my room or my study... I needn't change out of my pjs, most days (though I do, I promise).
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>