NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introvert vs Extrovert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>
Author
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by bleustick bleustick wrote:

Plastered my walls with old printed out articles and images and drawings of natural and man-made disasters. Hindenburg, Chernobyl, Lusitania, Pompeii. I was an inexplicably gloomy guilty kid who genuinely believed all the wrong in the world was her fault and felt crushed by a spiritual debt for which she was constantly trying to pay. I still suffer from this a bit. 

Your whole post is awesome!! But this part is especially neat! I love disasters too!! Connecticut Circus Fire, earthquake of 1906, Hindenburg--definitely, Titanic, Carrollton Bus Crash, The Catholic School Fire of the 1960s (I think), etc., etc. 

Let's be weird together!! Star
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 1:30pm

my life in bed with a book if I could. Even in the Navy, I spent literally every second chain-smoking and reading on the smoke deck of our ship that I could.

So that was you chain smoking!  I put a cigarette out with a CO2 fire extinguisher once...and wore a gas mask on watch more than once.

But I totally knew exactly where to hide and read my books topside.  Nobody ever looks up, and when you're behind a bunch of gear anyway...

Liked being out on deck at night, too, especially when the moon was gone.  Sorry, all you civilians, if you've not seen the stars in the middle of the IO you've never seen the stars.  You can read a book by the light...

Fun Navy story.  In 1984 we did operation Kennel-Freelance, *cough* 12 *cough* miles of the coast of Kamchatka near Petropavlovsk.  I was the only person on the ship bright enough to bring a copy of 1984 with me. 

The wind chill on July 4 was -5 F.  That didn't stop us from wearing shorts and T-shirts on deck for the benefit of the MVD ship shadowing us.  We also used the opportunity to toss all our Boy's magazines over the side since they collected our garbage.  Fun times. 
This sig intentionally blank
orange_oddity View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote orange_oddity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:02pm
I'm majorly introverted - out of the Big 5 personality traits, it's my most dominant one & probably the one that dictates my lifestyle the most (Idk if you other introverts feel that. I feel that we need to put extra effort into navigating (or hiding from lol) a largely extraverted society)

It's a super interesting question if group forums can cause introvert burn-outs. Personally, I think to post to forums initially is more determined by shyness, but engaging in a full-on conversation online might be a bit demanding for an introverted brain.

It probably depends though. Introversion is technically a "super trait" and there are smaller personality aspects which make it up and they vary from person to person. So, people can be introverted in different ways. So maybe there's a particular sub-type of introversion who'd be less likely to post?

I'm a bit sceptical of the Myer's Briggs test - from what I've read it doesn't seem to have a lot of cred amongst psychologists (thought its fun). I remember my boyfriend, who considers himself introverted, took it and got ENFP - so that was pretty weird. Has anyone else experienced this with the test?

Edited by orange_oddity - 01 Feb 2019 at 2:05pm
bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:07pm
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Your whole post is awesome!! But this part is especially neat! I love disasters too!! Connecticut Circus Fire, earthquake of 1906, Hindenburg--definitely, Titanic, Carrollton Bus Crash, The Catholic School Fire of the 1960s (I think), etc., etc. 

Let's be weird together!! Star

Haha, well, I'm glad my weird appeals to some. You might like Witch Baby by Francesca Lia Block. It is the second book in her Dangerous Angel/ Weetzie Bat series, and it is YA. But it was the first example I had of another person (albeit a character) tormented by world tragedies, still one of the only examples of it that I've read to this day.
FFC: 1 Candy-Coated (Pol-Sat) * 2 Love Beneath (Fantasy)
bleustick View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote bleustick Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:29pm
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

So that was you chain smoking!  I put a cigarette out with a CO2 fire extinguisher once...and wore a gas mask on watch more than once.

But I totally knew exactly where to hide and read my books topside.  Nobody ever looks up, and when you're behind a bunch of gear anyway...

Liked being out on deck at night, too, especially when the moon was gone.  Sorry, all you civilians, if you've not seen the stars in the middle of the IO you've never seen the stars.  You can read a book by the light...

Fun Navy story.  In 1984 we did operation Kennel-Freelance, *cough* 12 *cough* miles of the coast of Kamchatka near Petropavlovsk.  I was the only person on the ship bright enough to bring a copy of 1984 with me. 

The wind chill on July 4 was -5 F.  That didn't stop us from wearing shorts and T-shirts on deck for the benefit of the MVD ship shadowing us.  We also used the opportunity to toss all our Boy's magazines over the side since they collected our garbage.  Fun times. 

Ha, the smoke deck was the closest you got to fresh air on the Big Stick, unless you worked on the flight deck. And the smell of jet fuel, jet cleaners, asbestos, and melting plastic sort of overwhelmed any sense of fresh air up there, anyway. I put out a cigarette fire myself once with a fire extinguisher, while in 'A' school. That's about as useful as all my firefighter training proved to be, thankfully. (Anyone who has never attempted the military, all US Navy recruits become certified firefighters in boot camp because there is no exiting a Navy vessel during a fire drill, regardless of what a keen swimmer you are.

Stars were beautiful but the sunsets are what seem impossible to describe to anyone who has never been on a ship in the middle of the ocean. They are beautiful but also bizarrely fast, supernatural even. The sun is up, then diving down unusually quick like a time lapse video. Then pink and orange everywhere before a sudden FLASH of red/orange bright light and... It was gone. Just phenomenal to watch.
FFC: 1 Candy-Coated (Pol-Sat) * 2 Love Beneath (Fantasy)
Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Feb 2019 at 2:44pm

Ha, the smoke deck was the closest you got to fresh air on the Big Stick, unless you worked on the flight deck.

Ah, the Teddy R.  I had a chance to be a plank owner on that one, but I would have had to re-enlist. 

Was on Cell Block 70 for some reason when it was at NAS Alameda and they called a security alert, so the guy I was with took me down into 2 MMR (where Marines fear to tread).  Spent the next 40 minutes or so sitting in EOS shooting the...breeze with the shutdown reactor operator.

Dang those things are big.

Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2019 at 11:47am
Just as a follow up, I retook the test at 16personalities.com, and had SWMBO take it for the first time ever.

Me:
INTP-T
She:
ESFJ-A

I realize opposites are supposed to attract, but that seems potentially hypergolic.  I'm concerned that once the 'honeymoon' phase wears off (we've only been married 13 years) it could get explosive...

Big smile
Lisa_Who View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Lisa_Who Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 5:42pm
This is the funniest Myers-Briggs writeup I've ever read:

Edgelords are a bore.
sarahnut View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sarahnut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2019 at 6:26pm
Originally posted by Lisa_Who Lisa_Who wrote:

This is the funniest Myers-Briggs writeup I've ever read:

Oh my goodness...I'm

INFP-
Why you want one: They’ll read you poetry and rub your back while you fall asleep, they have the most comfortable beds. - Yes! I'm very proud of my comfortable bed!
Spoiler Alert: May suffocate you with intensity. (Not sure I'm that intense..) May cry during a commercial for McDonald’s. Baaahahahahahahahahahahahahahahah....this is so me! We went to see Mary Poppins Returns the other day and I was crying within 5 minutes (don't ask my why - I couldn't tell you!).
Where to find one: Getting existential at some dive bar with a small but intense looking group of people who all look remotely like someone who used to babysit you. (Actually probably more likely to be at home watching telly but hey, if you think I'm cool enough for this, that's fine)
Pickup technique: Say you think care ethics is an overlooked school of thought or that you 'really resonate’ with Joni Mitchell or anything else deep + nice sounding. (But not too deep - I'll be scared of you being too smart!)
northernwriter View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote northernwriter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:07am
Extrovert here!

I used to be an introvert and I know they say people can't change. But I trained myself to go and talk to people - now I love it and thrive on hearing their stories and chatting them up!

I was INFP. Now I'm ENFP.
Microfiction 2021: 4th place overall
Flash Fiction 2020: 8th place overall
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 6789>