NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Introvert vs Extrovert

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (4) Thanks(4)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Introvert vs Extrovert
    Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 7:38am
Because it came up in a SSC Review thread, and now I'm curious. Also, because who does work doing work hours? Pfft.

The question was raised whether most forum-posters are extroverts, rather than introverts. My immediate reaction was "Ha. No." I'm not sure that's a factor in forum usage, because introverts get their energy from being alone, and extroverts draw energy from being around others, and as a highly-introverted person, I don't consider participating in internet forums as being around a group of people. It certainly doesn't suck on my energy reserves the way PHYSICALLY being in a group does. (Now, it does sometimes poke at the deeeeep well of anxieties, but that's a completely different thing.) In fact, I've met some of my best, longest lasting friends on the internet.

I think forum usage has much more to do with this safe place we've created together, where an aspiring - and maybe brave - writer can share their work and receive valuable feedback.

But what are you? Introvert or extrovert? I think most people assume writers are introverted (and I'm sure a lot of us prove them right.) What's your MBTI type? INFJ here. And as INFJs tend to be artists of some kind, I'm sure we have a higher than usual concentration of unicorns here.
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 7:48am
Power to the introvert!! I love the internet as a way to make friends!! I'm a pure introvert, but I'm split 50/50 down the Meyers-Briggs' other three scales. And you are so right--the internet is a godsend for introverts from an energetic perspective. And I too have made my best friends online!! Such a blessing!! Having online friends even gave me the confidence to make some "in person" friends. I've also traveled to meet internet friends and have had more fun than imaginable. 

Yeah, I love the unicorns! Shout-out to the unicorns among us! 
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (3) Thanks(3)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 7:58am
Originally posted by Zelda Zelda wrote:

Power to the introvert!! I love the internet as a way to make friends!! I'm a pure introvert, but I'm split 50/50 down the Meyers-Briggs' other three scales. And you are so right--the internet is a godsend for introverts from an energetic perspective. And I too have made my best friends online!! Such a blessing!! Having online friends even gave me the confidence to make some "in person" friends. I've also traveled to meet internet friends and have had more fun than imaginable. 

Yeah, I love the unicorns! Shout-out to the unicorns among us! 

I remember the first time I traveled across the country to meet an internet friend face-to-face. I was 22, and I HARDCORE lied to my parents, told them I was traveling to LA to meet up with some friends from college who were living and working there now. The next time I did it, about 4 years ago, I explained the situation, and my parents, husband, and brother thought I was going to be axe-murdered. Like, they were sure I was being catfished. But my nerdy sister-in-law, bless her heart, was like "Guys, chill. This is a thing people do."
nod1v1ng View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote nod1v1ng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:03am
I'm a strong INTJ-A: 
78% introverted
70% intuitive
79% thinking
69% judging
75% assertive

I expect it's part of the reason I like forums like these - lots of space for discourse without awkward small talk around the cheeze dip. That being said, I'm capable of pretending to be extroverted and adept at the social construct (which is a requirement for my career) but it's exhausting...
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:16am
Originally posted by nod1v1ng nod1v1ng wrote:

I'm a strong INTJ-A: 
78% introverted
70% intuitive
79% thinking
69% judging
75% assertive

I expect it's part of the reason I like forums like these - lots of space for discourse without awkward small talk around the cheeze dip. That being said, I'm capable of pretending to be extroverted and adept at the social construct (which is a requirement for my career) but it's exhausting...

My T/F has always been split nearly down the middle. And I'm turbulent.

93% Introverted
77% Intuitive
51% Feeling
79% Judging
90% Turbulant
MissMoosie View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote MissMoosie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 8:29am
I am an extreme introvert - I can put on an act at work, but I find it mentally exhausting (feels like a whole other job on top of the job I'm hired to do).

I've lost count of the times someone has said something in a meeting that's gone down well, and it's something I'd thought but was too scared to say.

I read this book which was a big help in accepting who/what I am - it's a really easy and engaging read too:

Random View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Random Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:02am
I've taken so many of these tests...including stuff like the MMPI-II a few times.  Apparently I'm not insane, but that's just because I'm good at skewing tests.

Meyers-Briggs: INTP
HBDI: (Where are my HBDI results?  It's everything but Red, though)
ProfileXT Scale of 1-10 (highlights):
     Sociability: 1 (0 wasn't an option)
     Accomodating: 2
     Independance: 9
     Manageability: 3
     Attitude: 3
(You can see why military service was a bad idea, yet somehow I ended up in the only program in any service where someone like me can do alright...go figure.  My wife looked at those results and her only comment was "You're hard to manage")

I'm a manager at work, and exhausted when I get home.  Company picnics and parties destroy me; it can take two days to recover.  I'll get manic (usually during a contest) and hang out here for a couple weeks, but then I need six months away to get over it.

My next test is "Carlson Strengths", which the CEO gave us for Christmas.  I haven't gotten around to it yet, but soon.

Edited by Random - 31 Jan 2019 at 9:09am
This sig intentionally blank
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:12am
Originally posted by Random Random wrote:

]I'm a manager at work, and exhausted when I get home.  Company picnics and parties destroy me; it can take two days to recover. 

I so feel you here. It's nearly impossible to explain to my ENFP husband how exhausting just BEING AROUND OTHER PEOPLE is for me. If I have a couple of busy work weeks strung together and not enough recovery time home alone, it usually ends up triggering an anxiety attack. I'm really happy to be in a position in my job where I get to make my own schedule, and can adjust my days off throughout the week as needed to mentally recharge. Or, in this week's case, not turn into a Chrissie-cicle amidst the frozen tundra.
dashesndots View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dashesndots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:15am
I am very much an introvert.  I am the same as you chrissie, I don't find online interactions draining in the slightest (well, most of the time, ha) whereas interacting with people in the real world exhausts me.  I have several very good internet friends, who I have met in the real world but distance keeps us from getting together often.  And I met my husband on the internet (on a fanfiction site no less LOL) so yeah LOL. 

I have always gotten INTJ, although my Thinking/Feeling has always been pretty close to tipping the other way.   
beadbalm View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beadbalm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2019 at 9:15am
INFP
When we did this at work, they lined us up according to our % and on every letter except the F, I was all by myself on a little island of lonely statistics. Like it was a good idea to put the poor introvert so far from the sun that she was in a closet in the Kuiper belt, while everyone else was having Margaritas and working on their vitamin D.
But you know, it was instructive too, and at least the people kept a respectable distance:)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 9>