NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Submit Story here??? In the forum?

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote RoryShores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Submit Story here??? In the forum?
    Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:27pm
Looking over rules and timeline, it made it sound like this here was just a friendly community of writers where you could submit your writing for comments and advice while waiting for the judges decisions. Does that happen? Is it for real? I like reading and getting advice. That would be kinda nice.
Rory
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:46pm
We can post on the Short Story 2019 Review Forum once we got our confirmation emails (hopefully tomorrow)! :)
#amrevising
glyf View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote glyf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:59pm
Hi Rory,

You can submit your story in the forum soon -  go to the Creative Writing Forum - there is a sub forum for the Short Story Challenge - 2018 is up.  2019 soon!

Edited by glyf - 28 Jan 2019 at 9:02pm
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 9:01pm
Originally posted by glyf glyf wrote:

Hi Rory,

You can submit your story in the forum - go to the Creative Writing Forum - there is a sub forum for the Short Story Challenge -

Tongue

Not yet! A new Review Forum will be created once they start sending out confirmation emails!!! :)
#amrevising
CNeal View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CNeal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 1:28am
I would love feedback, but I'm nervous about posting my story for strangers to have full access to. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with work being stolen or even just story ideas? I've never posted my writing in a forum like this and am just looking for reassurance, I guess.

Thanks!
redhart View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote redhart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 2:41am
Originally posted by CNeal CNeal wrote:

I would love feedback, but I'm nervous about posting my story for strangers to have full access to. Has anyone ever had a bad experience with work being stolen or even just story ideas? I've never posted my writing in a forum like this and am just looking for reassurance, I guess.

Thanks!
I have never heard of that happening, and I think if it did there would be a lot of talk about it on here.
The feedback from other writers is, usually, very helpful and the judges always list what they like about your story, then what they think needs work.
So even if you don’t feel comfortable posting here, you’ll still get something out of the competition.
Suave View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Suave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 3:25am

Thanks!

HI!  Unless you read a lot of short stories in your spare time I think it would be hard to find a case of idea stealing, unless it turns into a block buster.

But, there are almost 5,000 writers in this competition so I have no doubt that some ideas may be purloined, or at least used as a spring board for ideas of their own.  Personally, I just don't care, as long as they don't use my story itself, and if they don't then I am sure they will add enough that I would not be able to recognize it anyway and I will never know, haha.

The same goes for style: if there are 5,000 writers in this competition, imagine, if you can, just how many other writers are out there banging away at keyboards and getting nowhere.  If someone gets inspiration from a story I wrote for this contest more power to them, and I feel a pride in knowing I did that.

But, hey, that is just my opinion.

Edited by Suave - 11 Feb 2019 at 8:42pm
Guests View Drop Down
Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Guests Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Feb 2019 at 9:36am

I would love feedback

Please realize that it's not all about getting your story read and receiving feedback, there's much to be learned and gained from reading and reviewing the work of others who have posted. In theory (although it rarely works for me), the more you review, the more reviews you get.
 Post Reply Post Reply