NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Questions & Answers
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

How are topic assignments generated?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mimzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How are topic assignments generated?
    Posted: 24 Jan 2019 at 2:51pm
I poked around a bit and don't see an answer (maybe by design, as this is not supposed to be known?) but i am curious how the genre/setting/character prompts are generated. I assume there's a master database, but who decides which words are used for possible settings, characters, etc? Are the resulting prompts then reviewed by humans and is there ever a case where the combination makes so little sense it's discarded, or is anything the computer spits out fair game as a prompt for writers? if this is all discussed somewhere, i'd love a link. Not like I need to know, but I like to know how everything works, it's my curse.

Edited by mimzee - 24 Jan 2019 at 3:05pm
mimzee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mimzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:11pm
Hmm... i was sure one of the old-timers or someone from NYCMidnight would answer. Is this like a trade secret that must not be discussed?
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:23pm
Originally posted by mimzee mimzee wrote:

Hmm... i was sure one of the old-timers or someone from NYCMidnight would answer. Is this like a trade secret that must not be discussed?

I don't think anyone knows!! Haha! Sometimes it seems totally random and the prompts don't make any sense together. Other times, the connection is SO obvious that everyone in the group gets the same idea! Haha. You just never know what's going to happen!
#amrevising
mimzee View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote mimzee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2019 at 1:37pm
thanks (and PS just read Pox Party and loved it -- great rendition of the Mommy Wars!)
NYC Midnight View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (6) Thanks(6)   Quote NYC Midnight Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 3:06pm
We randomly generate the genres for each group number, but then staff manually places additional elements (subject, location, character, object, etc.) in each group.  We have a master list of elements that have been used, so we do our best to avoid any similar elements used in recent years and avoid any combinations that may jump out as too difficult or too obvious, though we realize this can be subjective.  Registered writers are assigned to their group assignments randomly as well.

We hope this helps answer your question, but please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Good luck!
--
Next up is the 100-word Microfiction Challenge 2024 kicking off April 19th
OnyxLily View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote OnyxLily Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 5:13pm
Originally posted by NYC Midnight NYC Midnight wrote:

We randomly generate the genres for each group number, but then staff manually places additional elements (subject, location, character, object, etc.) in each group.  We have a master list of elements that have been used, so we do our best to avoid any similar elements used in recent years and avoid any combinations that may jump out as too difficult or too obvious, though we realize this can be subjective.  Registered writers are assigned to their group assignments randomly as well.

We hope this helps answer your question, but please let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else.  Good luck!

Thanks, that’s really interesting!
RoryShores View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote RoryShores Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Jan 2019 at 8:01pm
4 monkeys. 1 bottle of tequila. 50 darts. A wall with 100 post-it notes with genres and themes (yellow). The darts have character scratched onto them. If a monkey passes out, iy is dragged off and replaced with a fresh monkey and another bottle. That last part is the most important.
Rory
Sephira View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sephira Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 1:55pm
I think I was much happier when I was under the assumption that it was all randomly generated. The fact that actual humans thought Sci-Fi/Summer School/Forklift Operator was a great idea makes me a little sad. XD
Merrill View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Merrill Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 2:51pm
And I thought mine was difficult enough - wow!
MIRI
stephenmatlock View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2019 at 4:49pm
Originally posted by RoryShores RoryShores wrote:

4 monkeys. 1 bottle of tequila. 50 darts. A wall with 100 post-it notes with genres and themes (yellow). The darts have character scratched onto them. If a monkey passes out, iy is dragged off and replaced with a fresh monkey and another bottle. That last part is the most important.

This seems much more plausible.

Although there is also an algorithm that says "If writer X has complained about Genre Y that they've received recently, assign Genre Y to that writer."

How else do you explain an unbroken series of Ghost Stories for me?
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>