FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

for people with time on their hands: stats

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Message Reverse Sort Order
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: for people with time on their hands: stats
    Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 2:22pm
Originally posted by JeffreyHowe JeffreyHowe wrote:

Originally posted by BrianaNichol BrianaNichol wrote:

Originally posted by EmmaWoodhouse EmmaWoodhouse wrote:

Originally posted by beckyrcollins beckyrcollins wrote:

I just feel bad for the carnage that is group 39. Three scorers with 17, only one went through -- even though their point distribution matched one of the other contestant's, 2-15, 15-2. Ouch.

How did they choose the winner for that?

Ties were:
11 - 6
15 - 2
2  - 15

First they pick who scored the highest in any round, which eliminated the first guy, so:
15 - 2
2 - 15

As these two were "tied" with the exact same scores, the winner is the one who scored the highest in the second competition. 

Thanks Emma! I literally just found it in the rules! Wow, that has to be frustrating.

Imagine being at the bottom of this heap:
10-15
15-10
11-14
14-11
12-13
13-12

Shocked has that happened?! Or do you just enjoy planting such scenarios in people's heads? Hahaha
FMau View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FMau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 1:30pm

Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

If you look at the scoring, some groups had no one score a 1, 2, or even a 3 in some cases. Implying there were not enough participants to pick up these scores. 

Good eye! And if memory serves, last year someone did what you did with the 0/15 and actually advanced, so it's always worth a shot, IMHO.

Wow, that's quite a thought. It means that, for example, the person who placed 5th in one of the groups got 8 points in round 1 and came 6th from last in round 2, so if their groupmates had submitted scripts, they could have scored anything between 0 and what they actually got.... Maths, huh? NYC might want to consider having 'extra', discretionary places for round 2, where some of the high-scorers who didn't get through - like the person with 22pts in group 23 - can get moved on from total score rather than placing within the group.
With 200 moving forward, they could have up to 10 extra places for contingencies, as that would give them 7 groups of 30 for round 2.
Just a thought. 
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 1:29pm

I just feel bad for the carnage that is group 39. Three scorers with 17, only one went through -- even though their point distribution matched one of the other contestant's, 2-15, 15-2. Ouch.

Ties were:
11 - 6
15 - 2
2  - 15

First they pick who scored the highest in any round, which eliminated the first guy, so:
15 - 2
2 - 15

As these two were "tied" with the exact same scores, the winner is the one who scored the highest in the second competition. 

Thanks Emma! I literally just found it in the rules! Wow, that has to be frustrating.

Imagine being at the bottom of this heap:
10-15
15-10
11-14
14-11
12-13
13-12
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 1:27pm
Originally posted by rcjeffrey rcjeffrey wrote:

I’m one of the 15-2 writers that advanced. Is there a trophy for the Coast & Boast award? I’d like to thank the Academy voters for this honor...

No, but seriously, I have to admit that I actually did try in round 2, swear! But I deserved the 2-score. My feedback was strangely very positive, but I know where the serious flaws were. This has been so much fun this far. I’m happy to scrape by into the next round. Now I just have something to prove!

What, survival isn't enough of a trophy? Big smile

Seriously, though, we're all tabula rosa the next round--which is part of the fun, at least for me.
rcjeffrey View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote rcjeffrey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:52pm

I’m one of the 15-2 writers that advanced. Is there a trophy for the Coast & Boast award? I’d like to thank the Academy voters for this honor...

No, but seriously, I have to admit that I actually did try in round 2, swear! But I deserved the 2-score. My feedback was strangely very positive, but I know where the serious flaws were. This has been so much fun this far. I’m happy to scrape by into the next round. Now I just have something to prove!

EmmaWoodhouse View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaWoodhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:36pm
Just another note - looking at all entrants, I see several names that have been around for awhile, and have scored in the top five consistently in the past, who didn't even make the top 15 this comp. Sort of makes you go "hmmmm"
BrianaNichol View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Groupie
NYC Midnight Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote BrianaNichol Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:26pm

Ties were:
11 - 6
15 - 2
2  - 15

15 - 2
2 - 15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaWoodhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:22pm

I can't post the chart, but the numbers for variability suggest advancing writers are on the whole less subject to large swings in scores.  First column is the magnitude (with +/- disregarded) of the change between rounds, the second and third columns are the percentage of writers with that magnitude of change.  57.5% of advancing writers had a change of 3 or less; only 39.6% of non-advancing writers did. Conversely, only 6.5% of advancing writers had a "swing" of 10 or more points between rounds, while 16.9% of non-advancing writers did.

I omitted all total scores of zero. Of the remainder, 200 writers advanced, 508 did not.

As to people dropping out boosting the second round scores--certainly the groups in round two where fewer than fifteen people came back are going to bump up averages a point or two. And it's possible, though not extremely likely, that one or two of the groups where 16s or 17s made the cut might have had a couple of people different people advancing, especially given the second round's primacy in tie-breaking criteria.

absolute delta did not advance advanced
0 3.74 8
1 10.83 17.5
2 12.01 17.5
3 12.99 14.5
4 10.04 8
5 7.28 9.5
6 9.45 8.5
7 6.50 2.5
8 5.71 7
9 4.53 0.5
10 4.13 3.5
11 3.54 1.5
12 2.95 0.5
13 3.74 1
14 1.97 0
15 0.59 0

JeffreyHowe - you rock! So cool that you did this. 

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote EmmaWoodhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:21pm

Ties were:
11 - 6
15 - 2
2  - 15

15 - 2
2 - 15

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote EmmaWoodhouse Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jan 2019 at 12:16pm
Originally posted by lisafox10800 lisafox10800 wrote:

If you look at the scoring, some groups had no one score a 1, 2, or even a 3 in some cases. Implying there were not enough participants to pick up these scores. 

Uugghhh! This is just depressing. Having not made the top 15, I have no idea how well I did within my group, and knowing the above is sort of infuriating. 

Wondering if NYCM should come up with a more equitable scoring, for example, reverse the points and give everyone a score, and lowest totals advance. That way every entrant has a feel for how they placed. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>