NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So...who's in for SSC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stephenmatlock Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:09pm
I'm in.

I've done some of my best work in short story ("She Who Made the Land Her Home") and I've bombed terribly (my ghost story got IIRC 0 points). I like the freedom to write longer.
Pithy sayings are for the apt. For a longer message, you need a condo.

jennifer.quail View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jennifer.quail Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:36pm
*raises hand* I just hope I draw something good and some decent judges for the first round and get through. I almost didn't do FFC because SSC last time seemed like a super-expensive waste. 
manifestlynot View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote manifestlynot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 6:38pm
I’m in, cautiously. I bombed out of SSC in 2018 but did well in SC with the same time span, so who knows. 2500 words feels positively indulgent! 

I do like the themed prompts over the setting prompts in Flash, I think. More room for creative interpretation.
Rhyming R1: Lionheart (Hist fic)
fioOxf View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote fioOxf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:02pm
Well possibly foolishly, I've signed up. I figure that if I approach it like Flash but with a few days to beta and edit tagged on, I'll manage the time and also get the adrenaline thing the first couple of days. Like sidle_by, I work 12+ days most days, so the weekdays need to be doable. I'll bomb, but I'll learn.
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:08pm
me is
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:09pm
Originally posted by stephenmatlock stephenmatlock wrote:

I've done some of my best work in short story ("She Who Made the Land Her Home") 

That was indeed a phenomenal read!
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
dias View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote dias Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:24pm
I'm in too. Have done Short Story a couple of times now and it's the one that always causes me the most last-minute stress/sleepless nights. But I just keep coming back for more!
All my stories are here!
steph9289 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote steph9289 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:28pm
I'm in!! 

With the personal goal of finishing the rough draft of the novel expansion of my first round story from last year!! 10,000 words to go before January 18th!! LOL
#amrevising
roccapia View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote roccapia Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:35pm
You know, I started out doing SSC, but I find I like flash fiction better, now that I've done it a couple of times. Having said that, signing up today, before the deadline, because I so enjoy these contests. Might even try the short screenplay again when it happens, even though I crashed and burned the one and only time I tried it.
scriber View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote scriber Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 7:40pm
Sadly I have exams this year, so I'm out. My strategy is usually to brainstorm to avoid the obvious, pump a story out, then spend every remaining minute agonizing over editing. 

I might give feedback where I can if people are okay with that. I want to stay in practice. 
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 12>