NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Creative Writing Corner
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

So...who's in for SSC?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>
Author
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote hanalyst Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: So...who's in for SSC?
    Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 3:57pm
Haven't done it before, but the slightly different prompt approach intrigues me! Just signed up, along with an old coworker who saw my "please give me $5 off" FB post.

Mostly I'm just nervous that 8 days will be too much time for me to stay focused and that I'll completely shoot myself in the foot. (I work best under more imminent/absurd deadlines.) Or perhaps the long game is just a part of adulting that I need to woman-up and accept? Confused

Edited by hanalyst - 12 Dec 2018 at 3:58pm
PrestonLeytonNelson View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote PrestonLeytonNelson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 4:04pm
I'm in! Also concerned that 8 days might be too long for lil' ol' ADHD me to keep focused, but it's so nice to WRITE. And left to my own devices, I just binge netflix. (Currently on 'The Good Place,' which is AMAZING).
Short Story - R2 GR31 (Ghost) - Awakening Your Death's Purpose

FFC 2018 - The Date - 1st Place
sidle_by View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote sidle_by Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 4:18pm
I've signed up too!! Not sure how it'll go, but I think it's the opposite problem for me - work is RIDICULOUS and while I managed to have weekends free for flashfic (all but the final, apparently LOL), I never have 8 days off, and working 12+ hour days is pretty common... not sure if I'll be able to get it done!!!

But i'm so so so keen to try!!!
FF23 Rd1 - Special Frame Diner
lisafox10800 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote lisafox10800 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 4:33pm
I'm in, too.

This will be my third go in Short Story. My strategy, given the extra time, has been draft by Tuesday night with beta and revision from Wednesday through Saturday. Of course, everyone's approach is different! The only thing I'd advise is don't wait too long to get things started.

And the luxury of words... it's a beautiful thing...
lisafoxiswriting.com
My short story collection, Core Truths, is now available wherever books are sold.
Briana Una View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Briana Una Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 4:37pm
Me! This will be my second Short Story comp, and 3rd go at NYCM overall! 
kizernix View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kizernix Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 4:43pm
I'm out!  Going to work at a long story contest (17,000 words) for the Writers of the Future contest aka the L. Ron Hubbard Science Fiction and Fantasy Contest, this will take all of my time I'm sure.  I enjoyed NYCM and good luck to everyone in the next contest!  
SS1:The Jewelry Box of Hildegard von Dideritz
SS2:The Silverfish
Cosima View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Cosima Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 4:48pm
I just signed up! It'll be my first attempt. I like the idea of having more time. And given how many words I always had to cut from my first draft in the FFC, I like the longer word limit too.
SSC 2021 R2: Complex Fracture
SSC 2021 R1: Before Her Time 2nd
chrissie0707 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrissie0707 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 4:55pm
I’m all signed up! (Might’ve dove so on the first day.) After competing in FFC, those eight days seem like forever! Last year, I researched the genre for the first few days, reading some short stories in my assigned genre to get a feel for it, took notes, had a couple of plotty ideas by day 3-4, and started drafting after that with the final version day on day 7 just needing polishing. I’ve been assigned a different genre for every round of these comps so far, and I’m sort of excited to keep that going. I’m dying to pull Sci Fi.
emilymyoga View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Addict
NYC Midnight Addict

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote emilymyoga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 5:00pm
I'm in!!! I just made my awkward money-saving FB post and signed up today. 

I'm intrigued by how the SSC is set up differently and it seems like it will be a lot harder, at least for me! 8 days for challenge 1??? Genre/SUBJECT/CHARACTER!?! I like how each challenge is a little different within the SSC though, should I make it through. Definitely looking forward to it! Big smile
Micro 100 2020: Downstream (5th overall)
Micro 250 2022: What We Lost in the Tide (9th overall)
Klieu View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Klieu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Dec 2018 at 5:53pm
I'm still on the fence. I'll make up my mind once I get the judges' feedback from this FF round. Feedback was my main goal for entering this competition, and-frankly speaking-the judges' feedback has on occasion not been as insightful or helpful as I was hoping. In some instances, I've found the feedback from you all much more helpful.

Then again, I have to acknowledge that perhaps my stories have been so unremarkable that there was really not much for the judges to comment on.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123 12>