NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your day job?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345
Author
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 12:29pm
Originally posted by trish1206 trish1206 wrote:

It's very easy, actually.  I am asked this often.   I can get really technical if you really want all the nitty-gritty.  But for now, I'll just give you the nickel tour.

I built myself a small home studio in my office/den.  When I started, I had a $100 mic and mastered the audio files on free Audacity software.   I taught myself how to do this via youtube.

I then created a profile for myself on ACX.com, which is owned by Amazon/Audible.  From there, authors list titles which are available to be 'produced' (which means 'narrated' and 'mastered').  You scroll through the available 'titles', pick one that looks like it might be interesting to you, and submit an audition.  

If the author picks you, you perform the title and receive 7 years of royalty share!!

I would like to say this is a highly profitable job, but for me, it's part-time pay for full-time work.  Many people outsource their mastering/editing, but I never made enough money to afford that.  

If you would like more specifics, I can tell you more...

I do have Audacity installed, as I've recorded a few stories from NYCM already.

Thanks a lot for the tips about ACX and the other technicalities. I do need a proper dedicated mic, though, as I'm only using a "noise-cancelling" headset's mic right now (a good one, mind you, but still).

I wouldn't want to make this a full-time job (unless a freak accident happens and I become a superstar, of course), just a cool sideline thingy...

I'll be in touch with questions via messages (if you don't mind)! Big smile
trish1206 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trish1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jan 2019 at 7:18pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

I do have Audacity installed, as I've recorded a few stories from NYCM already.

Thanks a lot for the tips about ACX and the other technicalities. I do need a proper dedicated mic, though, as I'm only using a "noise-cancelling" headset's mic right now (a good one, mind you, but still).

I wouldn't want to make this a full-time job (unless a freak accident happens and I become a superstar, of course), just a cool sideline thingy...

I'll be in touch with questions via messages (if you don't mind)! Big smile

Hey, I just sent you a PM.  And of course I don't mind at all.  I hope it helps!
3rd Place Finalist FF2013
NateThePrate View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NateThePrate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 2:25am
Well by day, I work external sales for a telecommunications company. I guess you'd say I'm a glorified telemarketer. I've only been there since December, but it seems to be going alright. 

Writing is my true passion, however. I've done a few plays, a perpetually unfinished feature movie, and am currently in the middle of re-writes for my debut novel. I've also got about two other first manuscripts and am working on my fourth. 

I'm also an actor, heavily involved with local community theatre, while I try to work out how to break into part of the industry that actually pays!

I love the NYC Midnight contest, and this is my first time in the screenplay part. The downside, unfortunately, is that because I'm in Australia, our time allotment goes from 3pm Saturday to 3pm Monday. But for those of us that work full-time, we don't get the full 48hrs. 

Though that will make it more impressive when I win Wink
Nathaniel Young
Microfiction 2020 CH 1 How Do I Straw?
CH 2 We Demand Your Supply
DBA Lehane View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DBA Lehane Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 3:31am
I have 2 paying jobs.

My main line of work is in a law enforcement role here in the U.K. - but has in the past taken me overseas too.

My weekend work is as a wedding photographer www.dazshootsweddings.co.uk

I also win the odd prize here and there as a street photographer www.dlehanestreet.co.uk

I’ve written for as long as I can remember. Had the odd short story published here and there, and had one short story optioned by a film company, but never eventually went into production. 
Screenplay Challenge 2020 Finalist.
SSC 2014 Finalist.
FFC 2015 4th Placed Finalist.
Tim G View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tim G Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 5:09am
Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

I have 2 paying jobs.

My main line of work is in a law enforcement role here in the U.K. - but has in the past taken me overseas too.

I also win the odd prize here and there as a street photographer www.dlehanestreet.co.uk

I’ve written for as long as I can remember. Had the odd short story published here and there, and had one short story optioned by a film company, but never eventually went into production. 

What fun to watch the video of you doing your wedding photo thing. It’s a strange kick to see people you only otherwise know by their prose! You look like you do a killer job, I envy “S” and “P”!
Rhyming Story R2: Flying On Empty (Thriller)
beckyrcollins View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote beckyrcollins Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 7:02am
Originally posted by Tim G Tim G wrote:

Originally posted by DBA Lehane DBA Lehane wrote:

I have 2 paying jobs.

What fun to watch the video of you doing your wedding photo thing. It’s a strange kick to see people you only otherwise know by their prose! You look like you do a killer job, I envy “S” and “P”!

That is a good video! Daz I wanna book you and I'm not even engaged haha
wateringcan View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote wateringcan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2019 at 2:16pm
My main job is writing for a think tank in the UK.

My second job is freelancing as a scriptwriter - not that I make a huge amount of money from that right now!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 345