NYC Midnight : Creative Writing & Screenwriting Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > GENERAL DISCUSSION > Screenwriting Bar & Lounge
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What's your day job?

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>
Author
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Ashtos Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 11:27pm
Coordinator of Volunteer Resources for a large nonprofit.

On the side I make movies with one of my best friends under the production company Soundstage 93. I write, he directs, we produce.  We've finished a few projects, latest one is here:

Produced for the 2018 Blood & Guts 48 hour film competition 
Required elements: Horror genre, holiday theme, flashlight, and the line "What's that supposed to mean"

I gotta say, seeing a script turn into a film is the craziest thing ever. :)
thesaura73 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote thesaura73 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2018 at 11:58pm
Communications analyst for the state-- Mostly Medicaid. I write communications for providers, plans, partners, legislators, members, manage websites and mass mailings, advise on communication strategies, etc. (and am generally known for "performing magic" LOL). So weird how so many here are writing in the health care field! 

But have been a creative writer all my life but it only occurred to me upon seeing the NYCM posts pop up in my FB feed that I could use my talents for turning around urgent writing requests to finally go back to "real" writing!....So, glad I tried it out!
SC R1 - Hothouse Flowers (Mystery)
SS Ch1 - A Curated Experience (Suspense)
alexdsut View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote alexdsut Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 5:17am
Well, we're definitely a diverse bunch, aren't we :P That's great to see!

I'm currently a Copywriting & PR Content Manager for a video game company (a job I took to get into interactive narrative). 

Always been passionate about storytelling, but only really got into scriptwriting during my undergraduate degree, where I took a class in playwrighting. I then went on to do a Masters in Scriptwriting (for screen and radio), worked as a freelance script writer/editor for a few years, and now here I am :) 
JeffreyHowe View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JeffreyHowe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 11:02am
Technical writer -- online help and training materials for insurance administration software. Just as interesting as it sounds, but I've somehow managed to be there 20 years now. 

Started writing novels and short stories around 2003. Accidentally wrote a screenplay four years ago, never looked back. 
LiseeJD View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Newbie
NYC Midnight Newbie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote LiseeJD Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 11:30am
I print T shirts, hoodies and accessories for horsey people. I am also a home educator to 2 of my 5 children. The others have left home or are in college. I write the occasional blog post for a friend's business too. 
FMau View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote FMau Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Dec 2018 at 4:16pm
ELT author (coursebooks for secondary and adult education, resource books for teachers etc.), conference speaker, teacher trainer. So I spend four or five months a year living out of a suitcase and eight in my pjs. 

Creative writing - there's an element of it in my job (word counts of 250 - 500 words, usually, with a limit on the lexis and grammar), but apart from that, I've been writing since I was a child, whether stories, poetry (been published) or my journals. I have a blog with bits and bobs, and am supposed to be writing a novel, and expanding on some of my blog things, but...... as a single mum for the last 18 years, time has not been in great supply, SO as it's now beginning to say Hello again, I'm here to learn, and to feel like I actually can do it. Maybe. One day.  'The Dream Spinners', my Ch1 screenplay, was the first screenplay I've ever written, although audioplays are part of my job (not often very exciting ones, but I'm allowed to get creative from time to time). 

So yeah, that's me. Next!
JPGriswold View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote JPGriswold Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Dec 2018 at 1:46am
Day job - I'm a private tutor - mainly SAT/ACT prep but some academic Physics and Math help as well. My favorite is helping high school students prep their college essays!

I'm really trying to break into TV writing more than anything. I self produced a TV comedy pilot I wrote and I'm going to try to get some traction with it in the new year!
CH1 GR3 No Evidence (15 points)
trish1206 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trish1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 8:32pm
ACX/Audible audiobook narrator.

Was an advertising copywriter for years out of college.  Not writing anymore for my day job, because it sucked the joy from it.

3rd Place Finalist FF2013
Zblugg View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Black Belt
NYC Midnight Black Belt

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Zblugg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:22pm
Originally posted by trish1206 trish1206 wrote:

Was an advertising copywriter for years out of college.  Not writing anymore for my day job, because it sucked the joy from it.

Question (totally interested question, too): how would one get into narrating for Audible?
trish1206 View Drop Down
NYC Midnight Regular
NYC Midnight Regular

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote trish1206 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jan 2019 at 9:34pm
Originally posted by Zblugg Zblugg wrote:

Originally posted by trish1206 trish1206 wrote:

Question (totally interested question, too): how would one get into narrating for Audible?

It's very easy, actually.  I am asked this often.   I can get really technical if you really want all the nitty-gritty.  But for now, I'll just give you the nickel tour.

I built myself a small home studio in my office/den.  When I started, I had a $100 mic and mastered the audio files on free Audacity software.   I taught myself how to do this via youtube.

I then created a profile for myself on ACX.com, which is owned by Amazon/Audible.  From there, authors list titles which are available to be 'produced' (which means 'narrated' and 'mastered').  You scroll through the available 'titles', pick one that looks like it might be interesting to you, and submit an audition.  

If the author picks you, you perform the title and receive 7 years of royalty share!!

I would like to say this is a highly profitable job, but for me, it's part-time pay for full-time work.  Many people outsource their mastering/editing, but I never made enough money to afford that.  

If you would like more specifics, I can tell you more...

Edited by trish1206 - 11 Jan 2019 at 9:35pm
3rd Place Finalist FF2013
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 2345>